Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2012, 11:39 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,940,891 times

Advertisements

Best thrill of my Lifetime was not when I held my first Child or my first Grandchild or my first Great Grandchild.

I have experienced all of those already.

What I experienced was from a time during the 1930's.

During the mid 1930 yrs there were pilots from WW1 who flew planes from town to town giving rides for about $1.50/1.75 as I remember.

A plane stopped at a farm house down the road from where we lived. A person drove ahead of the plane with leaflets of the planes arrival and the rides available etc.

My dad took me there and I had a ride with it circleing the town and I was able to look down and see everything from above. (I was about 6-7 at the time)

This was a open cockpit biwing plane (type you see in the movies of the time period).

2-3 days later it crashed on landing as a wheel hit a hole in the farmrs field and the rider(male) got a broken leg.

Any THRILLs out there?....bound to be a few good stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2012, 07:27 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,493,391 times
The best thrills of my life are (in no particular order)

1. Having my 3 sons
2. Adopting my daughter
3. Finding the 22 yr. old daughter of a friend that had placed her for adoption at birth.
4. Saving a little 2 year old from drowing when I was a child myself.

Old 12-08-2012, 07:52 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,008,799 times
1. Bumming airplane rides from strangers when I was 12.
2. Having a job that has taken me many places around the world.
3. Walking out of the class room after finishing my last final exam in college.
4. Running the only red flashing light on the entire island while taking my drivers test and still passing the test.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:29 AM

5,987 posts, read 11,679,096 times
1. Telling my wife she was going to be a mother in 30 min.
2. Watching both of my boys being delivered, on garbage day.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:39 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
2. Watching both of my boys being delivered, on garbage day.
I don't know why, but this is funny as hell.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:42 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,805,929 times
Aside from the normal thrills in my life like the birth of my four kids and my wedding and earning degrees, the unusual thrills for me were getting backseat rides in an F-4 Phantom and an F-18 Hornet at USN Point Mugu in the 1990s.

The Navy Captain in the F-4 gave me full envelope, barrel rolls, loops, Mach 1.1 and 6 Gs of force. Not a bad experience for a lowly GS-12 civilian engineer punk that I was. I worked in F-14 Flight Test as an engineer and we used live targets (F-4s and F-18s with electronic jammer pods on them) to test the F-14 radar against ECM. I talked to some guys I played lunchtime basketball with and they said occasionally civilians could get back seat rides if the seat was empty. I had to pass a tough water survival course (and I am excellent swimmer - it was still tough), ejection seat training, and physiological training.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:51 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,227,539 times
Watching the first moon launch, from the Cape, with my Dad. He worked for Nasa so we had a great vantage point.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:05 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,807,496 times
Being up close and touching a big male gorilla that had been operated on at the hospital I worked at.
Being in a cage with 3 grown awake lions.
Riding horses at a full gallop bare back through open fields.
Bottle feeding baby black bears.
Buying my first car (69 Camaro).
Standing in front of Paul McCartney in the front row while he sang Yesterday.
Buying my first and probably only new car.
Marrying John. The best thing I've ever done or will do.

Old 12-08-2012, 09:19 AM

3,244 posts, read 1,310,879 times
Okay, aside from all my kids, and all the wonders that family and friends bring which are pricelss, precious and beyond my greatest dreams, one of the biggest thrills in my life was getting my Class A CDL with full indorsements!!! The second one was the day I bought my own big rig... a 377 Peterbilt, 475 CAT, 3.55 rears, 11-24-5 rubber, with set back front axel, dual vortex air breathers, an Eton Fuller 15-speed tranny with DR and OD (with weird shift pattern, tricky!) and Jakes, 3.55 rears, a beautiful queen bunk with deep burgandy interior and black, gold fleck paint on the outside. Ohhhh I could go on and on about my big truck!!! He wasn't totally chromed out, but with just enough to make him a truly handsome ride! Driving away from the dealership in my own truck, against all the odds and all the nay sayers was a mega thrill for me! And getting my first settlement sheet as an O/O.... Priceless!

Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM

44,375 posts, read 20,083,252 times
OP Steve, that's a great story about the airplane ride!

The biggest thrill of my lifetime was the day I hiked on Mt. Rainier in Washington. It was 1993 and I was 39 years old. I had never seen a mountain before. Went to visit a friend who lived in Seattle and she took me hiking on Mr. Rainier. As we approached the mountain in her car, I couldn't believe my eyes, it was so beautiful. What a thrill it was, to hike on it. It was 80 degrees out that day, but we were standing in snow on a glacier. Way cool! We hiked from an elevation of about 5000' up to about 7800', I think. A couple of times I couldn't breathe for a moment because it was my first time in a high elevation! I remember the exquisite beauty of the mountain and the vistas from various stopping points along the trail. My friend and I had the trail to ourselves all day, except for one time when two others passed us. To have that beautiful space all to ourselves was fantastic. I've yet to see anything more beautiful.

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics