Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 01:01 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times

Advertisements

Do you complain about things in your life, but do very little (or nothing) to solve your problems? Do you ask friends, family, whoever for advice even though you really know what to do? Or, do you "take the bull by the horns" and say to yourself "I'm tired of complaining, it's time to do something about this!!"
Is it your job that you could complain about? Is it your marriage/relationship you could complain about? Is it YOU that you could complain about (weight, personality, whatever......"I don't like how I look and/or how I act")?
Would you make a good manager at work? Are you an aggressive/outgoing and "get things done" type person? Could you fire someone at work?

As for me: I do complain, but try (do) something about what I'm complaining about. Wife and I are quitting our jobs and moving to better winter weather than we are now. I'm ex-military so I firmly believe in "structure & discipline" at work (glad I'm leaving my current job that I've been complaining about). I'm outgoing/aggressive and love to talk. I would be a good manager and would have no problem firing someone...."either do the job right, follow company policies or you will be gone.....period!!"
So tell the Forum about you. "We're all ears (eyes)"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2007, 04:35 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,531,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Do you complain about things in your life, but do very little (or nothing) to solve your problems? Do you ask friends, family, whoever for advice even though you really know what to do? Or, do you "take the bull by the horns" and say to yourself "I'm tired of complaining, it's time to do something about this!!"
Is it your job that you could complain about? Is it your marriage/relationship you could complain about? Is it YOU that you could complain about (weight, personality, whatever......"I don't like how I look and/or how I act")?
Would you make a good manager at work? Are you an aggressive/outgoing and "get things done" type person? Could you fire someone at work?

As for me: I do complain, but try (do) something about what I'm complaining about. Wife and I are quitting our jobs and moving to better winter weather than we are now. I'm ex-military so I firmly believe in "structure & discipline" at work (glad I'm leaving my current job that I've been complaining about). I'm outgoing/aggressive and love to talk. I would be a good manager and would have no problem firing someone...."either do the job right, follow company policies or you will be gone.....period!!"
So tell the Forum about you. "We're all ears (eyes)"

I'm the 3rd one: tired of complaining, it's time to do something about it. That's how I am.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:43 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,504,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I would be a good manager and would have no problem firing someone...."either do the job right, follow company policies or you will be gone.....period!!"
This attitude really, really scares me. Having no problem firing someone doesn't make one a good manager. Coaching people to success is so rewarding. Showing compassion, realizing that sometimes company policies need to be challenged for the good of the company, working together to meet common goals are a few traits of a good manager. The goal of a manager should be to never, ever have to fire someone. That, arguably, is a reflection of the manager more than the employee; exceptions noted. Of course, what I am trying to say is really all about The Golden Rule.

Old 10-04-2007, 04:57 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,635,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
This attitude really, really scares me. Having no problem firing someone doesn't make one a good manager. Coaching people to success is so rewarding. Showing compassion, realizing that sometimes company policies need to be challenged for the good of the company, working together to meet common goals are a few traits of a good manager. The goal of a manager should be to never, ever have to fire someone. That, arguably, is a reflection of the manager more than the employee; exceptions noted. Of course, what I am trying to say is really all about The Golden Rule.
wow...great post and dead on....I've been in management and I took a lot of pride in identifying a problem with someone and nippin' it in the bud then watching them start kickin' butt and take names. Sorry about the off topic stuff (sorry SMG...I'm in rep lockdown)

I tend to lean towards the aggressive, git-r-done now and done right so we can goof off just a bit sooner. I don't care about props or pats on the back and hate do nothing butt kissers. I don't need someone to tell me how to do my job but expect a respectful hand from upper level management when the time arises.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:50 PM

2,408 posts, read 14,396,459 times
I tend to not complain. When I was a teenager, I had a somewhat tumultuous relationship with my father and one day after a massive fight where I had somewhat resigned myself to never speaking with him again, in order to calm my heated self down, I told myself to think of something, just one thing, that I liked about my father. And then it hit me; he never complains. At the time, my parents were going through a particularly brutal divorce and both parents chose to handle the matter in completely different fashions. My mother tended to talk badly about my father, complain loudly about lawyers, marriage, her job, her stress and basically everything under the sun and it made it incredibly taxing to be around her. My father on the other hand, who was going through the same amount of hardships as she was, didn't say a word about it. It really struck me as an admirable trait to have, one that I sought to employ for myself, and recognizing it within my father helped soften up my hatred (at the time) for him. Maybe that was a bit TMI.

I don't think it's good to go to an extreme, to keep things bottled up in a little ball inside of you. Generally speaking though, I tend to not like to burden others with my problems and limit my complaining because having been on the other side of that, of hearing people who do constantly complain, I know how grating and obnoxious it can be. I'm the first to admit that I'll complain in the morning if traffic was hideous, or over something stupid (see the Unusual Pet Peeves thread) but generally speaking, I find myself recognizing problems, maybe voicing my displeasure once, and then rather than dwelling on it, actually attempt to fix things rather than wallowing.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:51 PM

25,464 posts, read 13,577,021 times
By SmokyMtnGal:This attitude really, really scares me. Having no problem firing someone doesn't make one a good manager. Coaching people to success is so rewarding. Showing compassion, realizing that sometimes company policies need to be challenged for the good of the company, working together to meet common goals are a few traits of a good manager. The goal of a manager should be to never, ever have to fire someone. That, arguably, is a reflection of the manager more than the employee; exceptions noted. Of course, what I am trying to say is really all about The Golden Rule.''

Tried to give you a rep for this. But they said not again. Will try later..Excellent post.

Old 10-04-2007, 05:54 PM

15,603 posts, read 39,836,062 times
I'm none of those. Hannah...what kind of personality am I? (she's my psyco-analist)

Safety of my co-workers is #1, then effiency. Policies and procedures will be adhered to as it is a condition of employment. Those that don't comply will fly. Very rarely happens. I'd just as soon mentor and teach than keep running hands off. You just have to replace them with new guys and it turns into a never ending process. Build a team and work together. Much more productive.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:22 PM

23,019 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
I agree, there are too many people that have no problem firing someone instead of trying to help the person. Anyone with that attitude does not make a good boss.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:00 PM

8,956 posts, read 20,379,888 times
First of all, I learned about how to handle people from being in the military (Navy). Once you go to a school to learn a Rate (job), you are exspected to do that job right. No continuing excuses or "I'm sorry" in the military. Do your job right and in good time or, follow military procedures (like company policies/procedures) and your'e ok. Don't, and you get disciplined.......period. Why would I make a good manager/supervisor? I do believe in "guiding" an employee in their job, but not "babying" them. My motto is LEARN and do your best. I would want my employees to RESPECT me, not use me. My current supervisor's motto is, "I get more with honey than I do with vinegar". Yea right. Is that why: when there are inventory problems he says "ok, just do an adjustment". He doesn't say anything when someone is on a personal cell phone call when there is work to do. He has no idea (or cares) what his two drivers are doing during working hours (stopping at Wal Mart/K-Mart/Target for personal stuff). He leaves the his office on a daily basis during the summer, to go to the Driving Range and practice his golf drives.
I respect a manager/supervisor that KNOWS what is going on in his department and isn't afraid to confront an employee who is messing around/not doing their job. I'm not a "harda--", but I do believe in structure and discipline at the workplace. I refuse to be "used".

Old 10-04-2007, 08:53 PM

428 posts, read 2,440,560 times
I'm a Blue, according to "The Color Code", with a lot of Red thrown in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics