Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2012, 05:32 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,269,126 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
As I type this I'm sitting in my doctors waiting room with a migraine.
Obviously there are a few sick people here.
Some woman has just come in, sat down, dragged out her cell and is having a conversation like she is completely alone.I find this horribly inconsiderate.
I don't want to hear her private business and gossip, especially when my head is pounding. It's bad enough we have a crying sick baby in here.Do you yap away at full volume like you are in your loungeroom, when in public?
Ahhhh. My pet peeve of all pet peeves, Cell Phones In Public Places. I find it rude and inconsiderate for anyone to be yacking on a cell phone in a public place and I agree, they don't belong in the waiting room of a doctors office. One time, we had this big picnic down by our pool in our yard. We have a lovely pool area, big pool, had music going, great food and lots of fun going on with swimming in the pool playing volleyball, etc. I look over at two of my sons friends he invited and one is sitting on a glider playing with his online games on his phone and his wife is sitting at the table playing on Facebook!! How freakin rude. I have a rule now by our pool area..NO PHONES unless it is an emergency. Leave your phones in the car in my driveway. Its a short walk to the car and if you need to call anyone all that bad, go up to your car and don't ruin my party.
Yes, I see people in doctors offices, in department stores, in grocery stores, walking down the streets, in restaurants and worse case scenario DRIVING and they are on damn cell phones. Do I have a cell. YES I do and have to for medical reasons, can't be without one. I only call my husband to let him know where I am going..he worries. No one calls me because they know how I am about my cell.
People have forgotten how to communicate with each other face to face and depend on their cells to keep involved on a daily basis in their famiy and friends lives and also to see who is saying WHAT on Facebook.
Didn't mean to go on a rant..hope your migraine is better!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2012, 07:16 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,471,475 times
95% of the time I use my phone I'm texting or sending emails. On the rare occasion that I'm using voice phone, it's when I'm alone and walking my dog. Sometimes I use the voice feature on Skype at home, but always only when I'm home alone, never with people around. If someone calls me while I'm in a waiting room or something, I'll keep it brief and tell them I can't talk now. Sometimes if they call me (especially if I'm on campus where making voice phone calls isn't allowed) I'll just text them back saying I'm on campus and let's text.

I can't stand when people are so hooked to their phone that they can't even put it down long enough to enjoy a dinner with me or something. It's a huge pet peeve of mine, and I hate the fact it's considered so acceptable among most members of my generation. It's so rude, in my opinion, to be using up the time that you're supposed to be having with one person communicating virtually with someone else.

I don't mind when people pick up their phone to facebook post where we are, or to call someone to see when they're joining us, or to find out when the next bus is coming, etc. but I'm talking about the people who are constantly on their phone the whole time they are talking to you. My other peeve is when they're on the computer or busy doing something else while you're on the phone or Skype with them and they act like you can't tell their responses are delayed and not fully thought out because they're sidetracked by something else!

I feel like it's an insult to my intelligence to think I don't know when they're doing something else. I always say "I'll just call back later" and sometimes that reels people in but sometimes it doesn't. Once my friend left me hanging and completely ignored me for 15 minutes on Skype while he did something else, and then actually got really mad at me later and accused ME of being rude when I hung up our call. It's not like I hung up out of the blue, either, I voiced and messaged him saying "call me back when you're less busy" before hanging up.

I get so annoyed with people's lack of cell phone etiquette, and I'm only 22, so they always think that I don't mind it at all. And if I say something, people think I'm being obnoxious because they expect me to be so cool about everything just cause I'm their age. I don't use my phone constantly when I'm with people so it would be nice if they didn't use their phone constantly when they're with me.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:50 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,809,167 times
I have a phone that's pay as you go and only costs about ten dollars a month. I don't take it to the movies and the kids don't have the number. I keep it with me at work because I work afternoons and leave late at night. I was with a patient when my phone was ringing and I was so embarrassed. I never answered it and apologized to the family members in the room for the disturbance. It was my friend who I've repeatedly told to call my land line or send a text instead. Maybe some day she'll get it.

Old 07-19-2012, 09:56 AM

12,114 posts, read 15,021,556 times
Camping is the worst!!!!!!

Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,992,232 times
It a better deal for me to just have a cellphone and no land line. Jezer is right, its the individual not the phone itself that creates the problems. I cant really understand people yapping in public on and on when the call could be done without bothering others. People are more rude today about things like that. They think they are the only ones with rights. I've said the same thing as the vet did regarding some pet owners.

Old 07-19-2012, 02:58 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,324,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsAnnThrope View Post
As I type this I'm sitting in my doctors waiting room with a migraine.

Obviously there are a few sick people here.

Some woman has just come in, sat down, dragged out her cell and is having a conversation like she is completely alone.

I find this horribly inconsiderate.

I don't want to hear her private business and gossip, especially when my head is pounding. It's bad enough we have a crying sick baby in here.

Do you yap away at full volume like you are in your loungeroom, when in public?
I hardly use the contraption.

I find that kind of crap/behavior reprehensible-to say the least!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:01 PM

16,677 posts, read 17,451,554 times
Jeez! I've been slow on the uptake- I like your name MsAnnThrope!

Old 07-19-2012, 03:39 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,254,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezer View Post
Jeez! I've been slow on the uptake- I like your name MsAnnThrope!
I didn't catch it until I typed it in a rep assuming it was "Thorpe" and ding! ding! ding!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:06 PM

15,927 posts, read 8,142,968 times
I agree with you all. I find it highly insulting to be with someone that will answer their cell and have a long drawn out convo. with someone when it could wait. Nothing like saying "you don't matter that much" when the cel is that important they keep looking and checking it every 15 seconds.

Turn the freakin' thing off for God's sake. You just aren't that damn important!!!

I'm like Nitram, I just leave it in the car or turn it off and return the calls when I'm in a quiet area away from others.

Good thread MissAnn, and hope you got your migraines taken care of!

Old 07-19-2012, 04:12 PM

20,048 posts, read 18,324,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetie Pie View Post
I agree with you all. I find it highly insulting to be with someone that will answer their cell and have a long drawn out convo. with someone when it could wait. Nothing like saying "you don't matter that much" when the cel is that important they keep looking and checking it every 15 seconds.

Turn the freakin' thing off for God's sake. You just aren't that damn important!!!

I'm like Nitram, I just leave it in the car or turn it off and return the calls when I'm in a quiet area away from others.

Good thread MissAnn, and hope you got your migraines taken care of!
Some idiots will even text while talking to a person

^^^Same folks who have very few friends and wonder why! Well, DUH!!!

Needless to say, I don't find much time to sit and "chat" with so-called pals who put their text buddies in front of my presence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics