Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2012, 04:09 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,346,548 times

Advertisements

Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another week! For many of us in the US, it’ll be a busy and fun one, with Independence Day coming up on Wednesday; it’s nice having a day off in the middle of the week, but tough going back to work the next morning.

But we’re not there yet – it’s still Monday, and it’s time to talk together about:

Today’s Question(s):

Did you learn to use a keyboard on a/an:
Manual typewriter?
Electric typewriter?
Word-processor?
Computer?

Do you type with:
Hunt & peck with two fingers?
All ten fingers but you have to look to see where the keys are?
All ten fingers by touch method?

Bonus Question:

What rating (G, PG, PG-13, R, X) was the last movie you saw?

Did you like the movie?

What movie rating do you tend to prefer?

Extra Credit Question:

What is your least favorite television commercial?

Why do you dislike it?

What is your most favorite television commercial?

What do you like about it?

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you were bored?

What is your favorite way to combat boredom?

When did you last stave off boredom that way?

Today in History:

1679 – Europeans first visit Minnesota and see the headwaters of the Mississippi
1698 – Thomas Savery patents the first steam engine
1776 – The Continental Congress adopts a resolution severing ties with Great Britain, although the wording of the formal Declaration of Independence is not approved until July 4
1777 – Vermont becomes the first American territory to abolish slavery
1881 – Charles J. Guiteau shoots and fatally wounds U.S. President James Garfield, who dies on September 19
1897 – Italian scientist Guglielmo Marconi obtains a patent for radio
1937 – Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan are last heard from over the Pacific Ocean while attempting to make the first equatorial round-the-world flight
1955 – National debut of The Lawrence Welk Show on ABC
1956 – Elvis Presley records “Don’t Be Cruel” and “You Ain’t Nothin’ But a Hound Dog”
1962 – The first Wal-Mart store opens for business in Rogers, Arkansas
1964 – U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act of 1964, prohibiting segregation in public places
1982 – Larry Walters, also known as “Lawnchair Larry,” ascends to an altitude of 15,000 feet in an ordinary patio chair with 45 helium-filled weather balloons attached to it
2002 – Steve Fossett becomes the first person to fly solo nonstop around the world in a balloon

Today’s Word:

Redound \rĭ dound\ verb intr
1. To contribute to (someone's credit, honor, etc.).
2. To come back upon.

Today Is:
I Forgot Day
Freedom From Fear of Speaking Day
Special Recreation for the Disabled Day
National Anisette Day
Made in the USA Day
World UFO Day
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2012, 04:11 AM

16,914 posts, read 16,160,429 times
Today’s Question(s): Yayyyyyyy! It's Monday.

Manual typewriter?
Electric typewriter?
Word-processor?
Computer? <<------ Mostly this.

Do you type with:

~ I'm a very advanced hunt & peck man.

Bonus Question:

~ PG. Disney.

Did you like the movie?

~ It was, "War Horse". It was just okay. I can't say I liked it.

~ G or PG.

Extra Credit Question:

Take your pick among thousands that suck.

Why do you dislike it?

~ Yep.

~ The original Weeeeeeeee piggy, riding in the car.

~ The piggy.

Just for Fun:

~ Friday.

~ Having fun.

~ Last time I had fun.

*** Thanks wormy! Have a good Monday, everybody! Cooler weather's coming very soon!***

Last edited by rainroosty; 07-02-2012 at 04:22 AM..

Old 07-02-2012, 04:16 AM

27,385 posts, read 27,429,648 times
I learned the keyboard on a computer.
My least favourite tv commercial is the animal abuse one. It breaks my heart to see all those battered, ignored or abused animals.
Cant remember the last time I was bored, always have something to do here or at work.
And heres to Forgetting Day!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:17 AM
bjh

60,147 posts, read 30,461,719 times
Today’s Question(s):
Manual typewriter? My parents had one of these and I played on it a lot as a kid.
Electric typewriter? They had one of these too.

Do you type with:
All ten fingers by touch method

Bonus Question:
PG - caught a re-run of Smokey and the Bandit last night. Hadn't seen it in many years.
Did you like the movie?
It was good to see it again.
When kids are involved, up to PG-13.

Extra Credit Question:
Ambulance chasing lawyers, title loans, bariatric surgery, etc.
Why do you dislike it?
The lawyers care nothing about justice. The title loan people take advantage of those who don't know better. The weight loss surgery uses internal mutilation to force people not to overeat, instead of relying on willpower or finding out why they want to eat huge amounts of food in the first place. They can't stop overeating by willpower, but the results of the surgery leave them with no choice. It's life threatening surgery versus being sensible.

Coca~cola
It's the real thing.

Just for Fun:
Saturday morning when I woke up too early.
Internet.
Saturday morning.

A polar bear in search of his Coke.

Last edited by bjh; 07-02-2012 at 04:27 AM..

Old 07-02-2012, 04:23 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,493,832 times
Today’s Question(s):

Manual typewriter?
Mainly this. I went to secretarial college after leaving school and most of the typewriters were manual...
Electric typewriter?
... but we did have two of the new-fangled IBM electric typewriters, which we all fought over!
Word-processor?
Computer?

Do you type with:
This.

Bonus Question:

What rating (G, PG, PG-13, R, X) was the last movie you saw? I have no idea... don't take any notice of the ratings.

Did you like the movie?
Yup

I really don't care.

Extra Credit Question:

What is your least favorite television commercial? Why do you dislike it?
There's a really bad one we have here in Australia - for some kind of toddler milk formula, featuring little kids laughing. But the laughter is clearly totally fake and really irritating. If the remote is handy, I hit the mute button!

What is your most favorite television commercial? What do you like about it?
I usually tune the commercials out... only notice the irritating ones!

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you were bored? I'm not easily bored. I guess the last time was at the dentist - he doesn't have interesting magazines and the receptionist wasn't there (no-one to chat with).

I never get bored at home ... the places I'm likely to get bored, there isn't really any way to combat it, except wait it out. I guess I might pull my phone out and delete old text messages.

Long time ago!

Thanks Bookworm.

Hope everyone has a great start to the week.

Last edited by Kobber; 07-02-2012 at 04:44 AM..

Old 07-02-2012, 04:27 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,271,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidwesternBookWorm View Post
Good Monday morning, all, and welcome to another week! For many of us in the US, it’ll be a busy and fun one, with Independence Day coming up on Wednesday; it’s nice having a day off in the middle of the week, but tough going back to work the next morning.
But we’re not there yet – it’s still Monday, and it’s time to talk together about:
Today’s Question(s):
Manual typewriter?
Electric typewriter?
Word-processor?
Computer?
Do you type with:
Bonus Question:
Did you like the movie?
Extra Credit Question:
Why do you dislike it?
Just for Fun:
Today in History:
1679 – Europeans first visit Minnesota and see the headwaters of the Mississippi
1698 – Thomas Savery patents the first steam engine
1776 – The Continental Congress adopts a resolution severing ties with Great Britain, although the wording of the formal Declaration of Independence is not approved until July 4
1777 – Vermont becomes the first American territory to abolish slavery
1881 – Charles J. Guiteau shoots and fatally wounds U.S. President James Garfield, who dies on September 19
1897 – Italian scientist Guglielmo Marconi obtains a patent for radio
1937 – Amelia Earhart and navigator Fred Noonan are last heard from over the Pacific Ocean while attempting to make the first equatorial round-the-world flight
1955 – National debut of The Lawrence Welk Show on ABC
1956 – Elvis Presley records “Don’t Be Cruel” and “You Ain’t Nothin’ But a Hound Dog”
1962 – The first Wal-Mart store opens for business in Rogers, Arkansas
1964 – U.S. President Lyndon B. Johnson signs the Civil Rights Act of 1964, prohibiting segregation in public places
1982 – Larry Walters, also known as “Lawnchair Larry,” ascends to an altitude of 15,000 feet in an ordinary patio chair with 45 helium-filled weather balloons attached to it
2002 – Steve Fossett becomes the first person to fly solo nonstop around the world in a balloon
Today’s Word:
Redound \rĭ dound\ verb intr
1. To contribute to (someone's credit, honor, etc.).
2. To come back upon.
Today Is:
I Forgot Day
Freedom From Fear of Speaking Day
Special Recreation for the Disabled Day
National Anisette Day
Made in the USA Day
World UFO Day
Good Morning Bookworm: Lots of questions today but also lots of fun so hang on to your sneakers cuz Pammy D is in the house!!
Learning a Keyboard: Since I am "older than dirt", I learned a keyboard on a manual typewriter, then moved on to an electric. My first year in High School, there was a huge personality conflict with the typing teacher and myself. She caught me peeking at the keyboard, so she proceeded to put the typewriter cover over my head. I pulled it off and refused to be humiliated in front of the other kids...she flunked me so that I had to take the class over again my sophomore year. I had a different teacher, ended up with straight A's and got out of my sophomore year typing over 85 wpm. Now, on the computer and with over 30 yrs. being a Senior Admin. Assistant (now retired) I can type well over 100 wpm, use both hands, no hunting or pecking. My husband will yell in here occasionally, WHAT IS THAT NOISE and it is me on a good day typing on here! FAST AS GREASE LIGHTENING...lol.
Last Movie I saw: Was a Denzel Washington movie..his latest and if I recall, it was kinda violent and a little bloody so it was probably PG13. The movie was ok but didn't impress me as one of his better movies..can't even recall the name of it right now. Have to tell you the movie of all movies that I will never forget is HAPPY FEET. I laughed right out loud, cried and in general was a big kid again.
Last time I was bored: I get bored every day at least once a day sometimes more. Lately we have been busy getting our pool straightened out for the summer and it has been tons of work seeing that things have kept going wrong. The skimmer was not working, big clog in there, the bottom blew out of our pump...750.00 later new pump. We got so fed up with FIXING that we decided to purchase a set of drop in steps..SWEET!! It is a big pool 20X40' inground and so nice to have when this hot weather comes. In general when I am bored, I either go for a swim or read a book, perhaps call a friend. I have one friend who likes to get up and movin' early so often times I am out of the house by 8:30 am with her to an appointment she has and then we do breakfast...been my friend for 34 years!! We are TROUBLE when we are together. LOL

Everyome have a sparkling day. Has been hot here in CT...95 on Saturday, 96 on Sunday and a tad cooler today 87 so looks like more time in the pool. CIAO

Old 07-02-2012, 04:29 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,271,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Good Morning Bookworm: Lots of questions today but also lots of fun so hang on to your sneakers cuz Pammy D is in the house!!
Learning a Keyboard: Since I am "older than dirt", I learned a keyboard on a manual typewriter, then moved on to an electric. My first year in High School, there was a huge personality conflict with the typing teacher and myself. She caught me peeking at the keyboard, so she proceeded to put the typewriter cover over my head. I pulled it off and refused to be humiliated in front of the other kids...she flunked me so that I had to take the class over again my sophomore year. I had a different teacher, ended up with straight A's and got out of my sophomore year typing over 85 wpm. Now, on the computer and with over 30 yrs. being a Senior Admin. Assistant (now retired) I can type well over 100 wpm, use both hands, no hunting or pecking. My husband will yell in here occasionally, WHAT IS THAT NOISE and it is me on a good day typing on here! FAST AS GREASE LIGHTENING...lol.
Last Movie I saw: Was a Denzel Washington movie..his latest and if I recall, it was kinda violent and a little bloody so it was probably PG13. The movie was ok but didn't impress me as one of his better movies..can't even recall the name of it right now. Have to tell you the movie of all movies that I will never forget is HAPPY FEET. I laughed right out loud, cried and in general was a big kid again.
Last time I was bored: I get bored every day at least once a day sometimes more. Lately we have been busy getting our pool straightened out for the summer and it has been tons of work seeing that things have kept going wrong. The skimmer was not working, big clog in there, the bottom blew out of our pump...750.00 later new pump. We got so fed up with FIXING that we decided to purchase a set of drop in steps..SWEET!! It is a big pool 20X40' inground and so nice to have when this hot weather comes. In general when I am bored, I either go for a swim or read a book, perhaps call a friend. I have one friend who likes to get up and movin' early so often times I am out of the house by 8:30 am with her to an appointment she has and then we do breakfast...been my friend for 34 years!! We are TROUBLE when we are together. LOL

Everyome have a sparkling day. Has been hot here in CT...95 on Saturday, 96 on Sunday and a tad cooler today 87 so looks like more time in the pool. CIAO
I am back! Old AGE...forgot to answer the question about the TV commercials! I LOVE the commercials where the babies talk like grown ups, any baby commercial gets me giggling think they are "E Trade" commercials. I do not like the ones about animals that need rescue. Find them hard to watch. I do rescue, but find these tough on my heart strings.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:43 AM

1,738 posts, read 768,857 times
Today’s Question(s):

Manual typewriter?
Electric typewriter? ~ This one.
Word-processor?
Computer?

Do you type with:
All ten fingers by touch method? ~ This.

Bonus Question:

What rating (G, PG, PG-13, R, X) was the last movie you saw? No idea, think maybe PG.

Did you like the movie? I don't remember.

What movie rating do you tend to prefer? Depends on the movie, but G, PG, PG-13, PG-17, with R it depends on the movie, sometimes they give movies rating for words or things that might bother some but not all or the subject, really depends on the movie.

Extra Credit Question:

What is your least favorite television commercial? ~ The smoking ones they have on right now. (the effects of smoking)

Why do you dislike it? ~ It is disturbing, which I am sure is the purpose. I do NOT smoke and they disturb me.

What is your most favorite television commercial? ~ Not really sure what the commercial is for, but it will shows someone doing something good for someone, someone else sees that and they continue the cycle. I think it ends up showing the very first person doing something kind/good having someone return the kindness to them.

What do you like about it? ~ It is the way it should be. Gives you a good feeling.

Just for Fun:

When was the last time you were bored? ~ Yesterday for a short while.

What is your favorite way to combat boredom? ~ Watch TV, take nap, search internet, or go to the store.

When did you last stave off boredom that way? ~ Yesterday

Last edited by HelloWorldItsMe; 07-02-2012 at 04:57 AM..

Old 07-02-2012, 04:53 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,445,730 times
Good morning all from a can't make it's mind up weather wise England. Thank you again Miz Bookworm for the questions. I put my photo on my profile just for you - I like to make you laugh It was taken just yesterday, Now then, typing. I learned to touch type in the 70s, and can type properly, at a good speed. Still can't spell though... The last film I saw in a cinema was 'The Artist'. A very charming film. I like films that are made for a general audience. The telly commercials I like are the ones I see in America, really amusing. I like the lawyer ones best - they just want to help!! Have a nice day everyone!!

Old 07-02-2012, 04:56 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,084,293 times
Today’s Question(s):

Manual typewriter?
Electric typewriter?
Word-processor?
Computer?

A typewriter and not very well, I might add.

Do you type with:

I type mostly with 4 fingers (thumb and pointer) but I'm pretty fast.

Bonus Question:

R - It was "Safe House" (Denzel Washington movie)

Did you like the movie?

Yes, I did.

R

Extra Credit Question:

I have 2: Progressive Insurance and the new Free Credit Report TV ads

Why do you dislike it?

Progressive Insurance: I don't like that pasty-faced overly made up woman they use in all of their commercials. She's scary-weird. But, since they keep using her, I guess I'm in the minority. (This is not a criticism of the actress just her character)

Free Credit Report/Free Credit Score: This new band is NOTHING compared to that former funny band they used to use.

OMIGOD, I just went to check the website and they are bringing back the old band by popular demand! Hooray! Hopefully, the old lady is coming back with them.

freecreditscoreband.com | The Original Band is Back!

I love the original E-Trade baby although probably by now he's planning for college:

NEW E*TRADE Baby -- Time Out - YouTube

I also love this older one with the Evian Roller Babies:

Evian Roller Babies US - YouTube

The first E-Trade one is funny and clever and I really like the baby. The second one probably won some kind of artistic award for the computer generated baby skate dancing.

Just for Fun:

The last time we lost power for a spell because it was at night. You know, too late to go out, too early to go to sleep, no battery powered light good enough for reading, no TV, no PC.

If it's the morning/daytime head out with the camera. If it's too hot, stay in and play word games on the PC.

Been awhile. I do that stuff regularly but not because I'm bored.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics