Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 08:58 PM

44,359 posts, read 20,063,008 times

Advertisements

Hi, kids! 'Tis I, with your weekend Today's Tip.
Scroll on down and check it out.

A BUNCH OF USES FOR CARDBOARD TUBES

Sheath for picnic/camp knife. Flatten a paper towel tube, duct tape one end shut, and there you have it - a sheath for your knife so you can safely pack and transport it.

Boot trees. If you have long, flexible boots, keep them from flopping over when you store them by inserting cardboard mailing tubes in them.

Kindling and logs. Use toilet paper and paper towel tubes into kindling by using scissors to cut them into 1/8" (3mm) strips. Keep the strips in a bin by the fireplace so they're handy next time you make a fire. To make logs, tape over one end of the tube and pack shredded paper inside. Then tape the other end. The tighter you pack the newspaper, the longer your log will burn.

Document protector. Roll important documents such as diplomas, marriage certificates, military discharge papers, etc. and place them inside paper towel tubes before storing them. This prevents creases and keeps the documents clean and dry. Be sure to clearly label the tubes so they are not mistaken as trash!

Keep linens crease-free. Wrap tablecloths and napkins around cardboard tubes to keep them crease-free.

Store holiday mini-lights. Wrap lights around a cardboard tube and secure the ends with masking tape so they won't unwind during storage. You can even store garland or small items inside the tubes and seal the ends with tape.

More ideas: 18 Incredible Uses for Cardboard Tubes | Reader's Digest

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 05-04-2012, 09:56 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times
Those are some good tips Pam,,,, I like the Sheath for picnic/camp knife the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2012, 10:04 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Those plastic tubes are great for whacking your loved one upside the head when they drive you batty

Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,883,423 times

You can use the flatten paper towel or wrapping paper tube and attach it to the vacuum cleaner hose to help reach way under the refrigerator and kitchen stove to suck out the dust bunnies.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,020,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post

You can use the flatten paper towel or wrapping paper tube and attach it to the vacuum cleaner hose to help reach way under the refrigerator and kitchen stove to suck out the dust bunnies.
But why would I want to do THAT?! I love my pet dust bunnies

Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,533,906 times
You can toot into them and entertain your pets!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 PM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Pam ..I saved all my tubes since your last tube tip and they're still sitting here. I was gonna store kitchen appliances cords in them to neaten up drawers. But, my wife redid all the drawers. Now I don't even know where the cords are. Great ideas though!

Old 05-04-2012, 11:42 PM

44,631 posts, read 61,620,191 times
Good ideas, I use them for various things too, especially storing electrical cords.

Old 05-04-2012, 11:46 PM

16,904 posts, read 16,127,347 times
Hi! I had mentioned in Friday's QOTD that the tubes from the toilet paper are good for ladies to curl their hair. (and I want credit for it, dammit) . It's practically plaguerism!
And, you are forgetting the most important thing! In the book, "A Child's Garden of Grass", the cardboard tubes were used for blowing shotguns into the mouths of your friends (When you are smoking a joint.) Since when you were little and most of us used to walk around the house at times with the tube over our mouths saying, "der - der - der - der!", they are officially known as, "der-ders".

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=derder

Old 05-04-2012, 11:51 PM

72,417 posts, read 18,202,018 times
Good idea to store documents like that...never thought of that before! thanks Pammy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics