Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:07 AM

54,500 posts, read 33,912,259 times

Advertisements

Today’s Question:

Today is National Plumbers’ Day. When was the last time you had to call a plumber and what task did you need them to undertake? - I don't think I've ever had a reason to call a plumber, at least in the last 14 years since I moved into my house... Of course, I'll probably have a reason to call one today just because I said that...

Extra Credit Question :

The IBM-PC was introduced on this day in 1981. How long after this did you obtain your first computer at home? - Oh back then I never thought I needed a PC, I bought the first one in 1996, with Windows 3.1. I do remember using PCs when I was at Tech school in 1985, they didn't have a hard drive, evertime you started the computer, you had to use a 5.5" floppy disk, which initially only had less than 1/2 mega-byte (512 KB) of storage space. If you had a PC from the first generation, you had to learn how to use DOS, which are commands that are issued at command line, they didn't have Windows until 1985, Microsoft basically copied the Macintosh/Apple, which was more advanced back then because it had the GUI (Graphical User Interface.

Bonus Question:

How many keys do you have on your key chain? - LOL.. just enough.. to put holes in the pockets of my pants... - I have 4 of them.... Keys not holes...

How many of those keys do you actually use on a regular basis? - All of them.

Just for Fun:

What was your last home remodelling/decorating project? - Hmm... When I moved in.. The house was empty, I moved in and it got furniture.. does that count? Actually, the projects were done outside in the front and back yards 5 years ago. I'm sure whenever I get married, the wife will have good ideas for remodelling/decorating because right now it looks like a house for a bachelor..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 08:13 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,674,912 times
[quote=Kobber;24000393]Good morning everyone and welcome to Tuesday's QOTD. I spent a substantial portion of the day at the local Council offices, trying to lodge plans to convert my garage to a usable room. It’s back to the drawing board on the plans, and an armful of application papers to complete.

Today’s Question:

Today is National Plumbers’ Day. When was the last time you had to call a plumber and what task did you need them to undertake?

Extra Credit Question :

The IBM-PC was introduced on this day in 1981. How long after this did you obtain your first computer at home? Spring of 1996.

Bonus Question:

How many keys do you have on your key chain?Two.

How many of those keys do you actually use on a regular basis?Two.

Just for Fun:

What was your last home remodelling/decorating project?Installed a door.

Today in History:

1833 Patent granted for first soda fountain
1865 Fire alarm and police telegraph system put into operation in San Francisco
1908 Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Murdock become 1st to travel across U.S. by car, they leave Los Angeles in a Packard and arrive in New York City in 32d-5h-25m
1969 Paul McCartney says there is no truth to rumors he is dead
1981 IBM-PC computer introduced
1990 West and East Germany agree to merge currency and economies on July 1st

Today’s Word
:

Fard / fahrd \ , verb;
1. To apply cosmetics. I seldom fard when I'm in the house.
noun:
1. Facial cosmetics.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:36 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,799,722 times
Today’s Question:

Today is National Plumbers’ Day. When was the last time you had to call a plumber and what task did you need them to undertake?

I've never called a plumber. I always do it myself.

Extra Credit Question :

The IBM-PC was introduced on this day in 1981. How long after this did you obtain your first computer at home?

November 1982

Bonus Question:

How many keys do you have on your key chain? Three

How many of those keys do you actually use on a regular basis? Two

Just for Fun:

What was your last home remodelling/decorating project? Replace/rebuild the chimney chase, some siding, a number of windows, and painting the outside of the house. We are replacing more windows this summer.

Today in History:

1908 Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Murdock become 1st to travel across U.S. by car, they leave Los Angeles in a Packard and arrive in New York City in 32d-5h-25m
1969 Paul McCartney says there is no truth to rumors he is dead

Today’s Word
:

Fard / fahrd \ , verb;
1. To apply cosmetics.
noun:
1. Facial cosmetics.

Today Is:

National Teach Your Children to Save Day LOL, I thought it said "to Slave Day"
Genocide Remembrance Day
Pigs-in-a-blanket Day
National Puppetry Day
Plumbers’ Day

Old 04-24-2012, 08:38 AM

18,257 posts, read 25,937,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobber View Post
Good morning everyone and welcome to Tuesday's QOTD. I spent a substantial portion of the day at the local Council offices, trying to lodge plans to convert my garage to a usable room. It’s back to the drawing board on the plans, and an armful of application papers to complete.

Today’s Question:

Today is National Plumbers’ Day. When was the last time you had to call a plumber and what task did you need them to undertake? Had a nasty case of frozen pipes several years ago when the temperature nosedived to -12 degrees. Brrr!

Extra Credit Question :

The IBM-PC was introduced on this day in 1981. How long after this did you obtain your first computer at home? Probably later than most here, got the computer just a little over four years ago.

Bonus Question:

How many keys do you have on your key chain? Eleven (had to look!)

How many of those keys do you actually use on a regular basis? Seven of them- Buick and the Jeep 2 keys each, dead bolt and regular lock on the house, one on the storage shed, one on the big tool box in the shed.

Just for Fun:

What was your last home remodelling/decorating project? OMG, can't remember that far back- got several projects in the future such as vinyl siding, a new tuff shed, etc. But the billfold says no and the checking account says hell no!

Today in History:

1969 Paul McCartney says there is no truth to rumors he is dead I remember that whole scenario: Paul wearing no shoes on the cover of Abbey Road lp, the suttle "hints" on the Sargent Peppers" lp, etc.

Today’s Word
:

Fard / fahrd \ , verb;
1. To apply cosmetics.
noun:
1. Facial cosmetics.

Today Is:

National Teach Your Children to Save DayGreat idea.
Genocide Remembrance Day
Pigs-in-a-blanket Day Yummo!
National Puppetry Day The never ending puppet show is in Washington D.C. at 1800 Pennsylvania Ave.
Plumbers’ Day A hard job and a thankless one as well!
Have a great day everyone!

Old 04-24-2012, 09:13 AM

24,554 posts, read 26,111,018 times
Today’s Question:

It's been a few years and it looks like I need to give him a call as we have a slow running drain I can't clear.

Extra Credit Question :

The IBM-PC was introduced on this day in 1981. How long after this did you obtain your first computer at home?
1982 a Franklin Ace 1000. It was a clone of a Apple II Plus.

Bonus Question:

How many keys do you have on your key chain?
The one I carry has 5 + 2 car fobs.

How many of those keys do you actually use on a regular basis?

Just for Fun:

What was your last home remodelling/decorating project?
A new garage door.

Old 04-24-2012, 09:15 AM

39,020 posts, read 23,016,803 times
Today’s Question:

I didn't use a plumber, but a handyman with plumbing skills to replace my garbage disposal about a year ago.

Extra Credit Question :

I was a late bloomer to home computing. My first PC was given to me (a second-hand Hewlett-Packard) in January 1999.

Bonus Question:

How many of those keys do you actually use on a regular basis? 2

Just for Fun:

Kitchen remodel last year. Also painted the bathroom.

Today’s Word
:

Fard
/ fahrd \ , verb;
1. To apply cosmetics.
noun:
1. Facial cosmetics.
I don't do this since I don't wear cosmetics.

Today Is:

National Teach Your Children to Save Day
Get them started early and open a savings account for them at your local credit union!

Have a great Tuesday!

Last edited by Dennis P; 04-24-2012 at 10:06 AM..

Old 04-24-2012, 09:27 AM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 16 days ago)

8,826 posts, read 21,319,678 times
Today’s Question: thanks, kobber

Today is National Plumbers’ Day. When was the last time you had to call a plumber and what task did you need them to undertake? -

After years of never needing a plumber, about two weeks ago all of a sudden a pipe burst and my whole laundry room was flooded. I heard this noise when I was watching TV and water was just gushing out. If I had not been home , my house probably would have been destroyed. I ran across the street and got a neighbor who is a handy man and he came right away and turned off the water and fixed everything. I would say that the water was at least two inches deep and had already gone into the hallway.

Extra Credit Question :

The IBM-PC was introduced on this day in 1981. How long after this did you obtain your first computer at home? -

My son who was about eight at the time got a computer ( Commodre 64?) right away and later an Amiga as he like to work on computer graphics.I had always said I would never get one, but then I said that about a microwave too.

Bonus Question:

How many keys do you have on your key chain? -

Probably about six. I have a lot of those tags from different stores and all also.

How many of those keys do you actually use on a regular basis? -

I don't even think the ones to the back door actualy work. .

Just for Fun:

What was your last home remodelling/decorating project? -

When I moved here three years ago, I redid everything. Kitchen, wood floors and all. Can you imagine that I am leaving already?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-24-2012, 09:52 AM

16,199 posts, read 11,690,865 times
[Q

Today’s Question:

About a year and half ago.

Extra Credit Question :

The IBM-PC was introduced on this day in 1981. How long after this did you obtain your first computer at home? 10 years

Bonus Question:

How many of those keys do you actually use on a regular basis? oh maybe 10

Just for Fun:

What was your last home remodelling/decorating project? a month ago.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:05 AM

7,487 posts, read 8,020,670 times
Today’s Question:

I have never called a plumber.

Extra Credit Question :

Hmmmmmmm...Somewhere in the mid to late 90's.

Bonus Question:

There are a total of 3 keys

How many of those keys do you actually use on a regular basis?
2 of the 3 keys

Just for Fun:

I am pretty sure the next one will be my first one. I was going to ask if buying a new tv counted as remodelling, but even that was 25 years ago.

Old 04-24-2012, 10:49 AM

4,045 posts, read 2,916,846 times
Sunny, breezy and in the high 80s today in the NV desert.

Today’s Question:

Today is National Plumbers’ Day. When was the last time you had to call a plumber and what task did you need them to undertake?About 18 months ago to fix clogged pipes.

The IBM-PC was introduced on this day in 1981. How long after this did you obtain your first computer at home? My son had a Commodore 64 in the early 80s.

How many keys do you have on your key chain? About 8.

How many of those keys do you actually use on a regular basis? Most daily and the rest, at least weekly.

What was your last home remodelling/decorating project? 18 months ago, before I moved into my home, I replaced all light and plumbing fixtures, bathroom mirrors and painted all interior walls.

Thanks for the questions Kobber, and happy Tuesday everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics