Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2011, 05:10 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,255,030 times

Advertisements

With Thanksgiving days away I got to thinking about past mishaps. I'll start with mine:

Several years ago I was hosting my first Thanksgiving dinner. My single sister had been given a 25lb turkey by her boss so she volunteered to bring it over if I would cook it. She showed up Thanksgiving morning at 6am as agreed, with a huge FROZEN turkey.

We had fried chicken that year.

Ok, now it's your turn!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2011, 05:15 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,341,023 times
OMG! A frozen turkey.....

I have 2 minor stories, no real disasters.

One year, my employer gave each one of us a gift card to pick up a turkey at a local market. Well, that was pretty neat, except they were seconds and my poor little guy didn't have any wings! Was that a funny looking bird!

A different year, we were all at my mother's for dinner. She took the bird out of the oven, lovingly placed him on a platter, stood back to admire him, and then made the mistake of leaving the kitchen for a few minutes. My sisters and I stripped all the nice, crispy skin off that poor turkey. Mom was not a happy camper that year.

LOL...I just realized both my stories involved strange looking turkeys!

Ah, well...may your bird have all its parts this year.

Old 11-21-2011, 06:51 PM

7,487 posts, read 8,048,217 times
Back when I was in college I decided to go home for Thanksgiving. Classes let out at noon on Tuesday and we had the rest of the week off. The plan was to catch the westbound train from Bozeman, MT to Spokane, WA. It departed early in the evening Tuesday and would arrive Spokane around 2 am. From there I would take the first commuter flight to Pasco WA on Wednesday morning. Simple enough...Wrong!!! The train was 6 hours late getting just getting to Eastern Montana. Once it left Billings I knew it would get to Bozeman 2 hours later, so I got a ride to the train station. Turns out the train broke down after leaving Billings. It finally showed up at 6am on Wednesday. No problem. I would get into Spokane Wednesday evening and then catch a late commuter flight. Got to Spokane about 8pm. Called the commuter airline and after being on hold for almost an hour I came to the conclusion I was not going to get a flight. Turns out there was a major ice storm and they were not flying. Not all was lost as there was a 2am bus out of Spokane on Thursday morning that would get me to Pasco at 6am. Only problem was the road was closed due to the ice storm. At this point it was 1am Thursday morning. I finally threw in the towel and decided to return to Bozeman. I had just missed the Eastbound train. There was a 2am bus Thursday morning heading Eastbound. I get to the bus station just in time to be told the 2am bus was cancelled due to icy roads. I call Northwest Airlines to see if they have a flight to Bozeman on Thursday. There is one departing 10am. Seats available. No weather problems. Life is good until I find out I am 10 dollars short of being able to buy the ticket and they would not accept a check drawn on an out of state bank. My parents had to go to the airport in Pasco and pay for my ticket and have it transfered to me. I get back to Bozeman about 1pm on Thursday. I basicly travelled for almost 40 hours and got nowhere.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskan Mutt View Post
Back when I was in college I decided to go home for Thanksgiving. Classes let out at noon on Tuesday and we had the rest of the week off. The plan was to catch the westbound train from Bozeman, MT to Spokane, WA. It departed early in the evening Tuesday and would arrive Spokane around 2 am. From there I would take the first commuter flight to Pasco WA on Wednesday morning. Simple enough...Wrong!!! The train was 6 hours late getting just getting to Eastern Montana. Once it left Billings I knew it would get to Bozeman 2 hours later, so I got a ride to the train station. Turns out the train broke down after leaving Billings. It finally showed up at 6am on Wednesday. No problem. I would get into Spokane Wednesday evening and then catch a late commuter flight. Got to Spokane about 8pm. Called the commuter airline and after being on hold for almost an hour I came to the conclusion I was not going to get a flight. Turns out there was a major ice storm and they were not flying. Not all was lost as there was a 2am bus out of Spokane on Thursday morning that would get me to Pasco at 6am. Only problem was the road was closed due to the ice storm. At this point it was 1am Thursday morning. I finally threw in the towel and decided to return to Bozeman. I had just missed the Eastbound train. There was a 2am bus Thursday morning heading Eastbound. I get to the bus station just in time to be told the 2am bus was cancelled due to icy roads. I call Northwest Airlines to see if they have a flight to Bozeman on Thursday. There is one departing 10am. Seats available. No weather problems. Life is good until I find out I am 10 dollars short of being able to buy the ticket and they would not accept a check drawn on an out of state bank. My parents had to go to the airport in Pasco and pay for my ticket and have it transfered to me. I get back to Bozeman about 1pm on Thursday. I basicly travelled for almost 40 hours and got nowhere.
Do ya ever get the feeling that the universe is trying to tell you something?

I hope you at least got Thanksgiving dinner somewhere.

Old 11-21-2011, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
OMG! A frozen turkey.....

I have 2 minor stories, no real disasters.

One year, my employer gave each one of us a gift card to pick up a turkey at a local market. Well, that was pretty neat, except they were seconds and my poor little guy didn't have any wings! Was that a funny looking bird!

A different year, we were all at my mother's for dinner. She took the bird out of the oven, lovingly placed him on a platter, stood back to admire him, and then made the mistake of leaving the kitchen for a few minutes. My sisters and I stripped all the nice, crispy skin off that poor turkey. Mom was not a happy camper that year.

LOL...I just realized both my stories involved strange looking turkeys!

Ah, well...may your bird have all its parts this year.
Hey, deformed turkeys need love too!

Old 11-21-2011, 08:34 PM

11,864 posts, read 11,091,988 times
Mine wasn't so much of a disaster as a duh moment normally my mom always cooked the turkey, but one year my son and I decided to do it. Ya know how they put the innards in a little bag inside of the bird? Well, we're yanking and pulling and yanking and pulling and yanking

Turns out we were trying to pull it out of the wrong orifice felt pretty stupid when it was pointed out to me lol

Old 11-21-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Mine wasn't so much of a disaster as a duh moment normally my mom always cooked the turkey, but one year my son and I decided to do it. Ya know how they put the innards in a little bag inside of the bird? Well, we're yanking and pulling and yanking and pulling and yanking

Turns out we were trying to pull it out of the wrong orifice felt pretty stupid when it was pointed out to me lol
Sounds like my cousin's first Thanksgiving dinner. At least you pulled them out BEFORE you cooked the bird. She didn't.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:59 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,113,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Sounds like my cousin's first Thanksgiving dinner. At least you pulled them out BEFORE you cooked the bird. She didn't.

Old 11-21-2011, 10:05 PM

11,864 posts, read 11,091,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Whoopsie
I don't feel so bad now lol

Old 11-21-2011, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoy View Post
Whoopsie
I don't feel so bad now lol
It was an unusual flavor, that's for sure! Smoked turkey with plastic undertones.

It took years for her to live it down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics