Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 07:56 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,343,519 times

Advertisements

I have changed my mind about mandatory military service... I think all kids should have to go to the military or the reserves for 4 years... I think it might help... give the parents an economic break and give kids a sense of honor and discipline and that will make for stronger families, better people and a better America. And old people shouldn't be excluded for military service if they want to serve and are able on some level... health expense could be offset. I have had strong coffee so my mind is filled with ideas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2012, 08:13 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,445,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I have changed my mind about mandatory military service... I think all kids should have to go to the military or the reserves for 4 years... I think it might help... give the parents an economic break and give kids a sense of honor and discipline and that will make for stronger families, better people and a better America. And old people shouldn't be excluded for military service if they want to serve and are able on some level... health expense could be offset. I have had strong coffee so my mind is filled with ideas
I totally agree SQ. I served four years in the British army, the discipline did me good, and has served me well the rest of my life. A lot of youngsters are confused and lost. I was a totally different person from before my time in the army. Compulsory service would be very difficult to introduce in today's society though.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:19 AM

11,390 posts, read 9,310,884 times
Quote:
Have you ever had a major shift in thinking about something?? Anything -- doesn't matter what it is.
38 years ago - turning my back on the idea that there is a god.

Old 06-23-2012, 02:28 PM

9,229 posts, read 8,569,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
Have you ever had a major shift in thinking about something?? Anything -- doesn't matter what it is.
I've changed all my views, except my politics. I continue to stand for the rights of Americans, all of them. Funny, but the parties changed platforms. I used to be a Republican, when it was the Democrats that were the bigoted good ol' boys! Now they seem to have all gone GOP, and I am a Democrat. Still, my views are the same.

The rest, sure. I used to think fiction was a waste of time, chose business over health care, and decided most things based on the economics. Now, I read mostly fiction, think about the long term effects on the environment, and care only to have enough to remain self-sustaining. (Of course, if I cannot find a job soon, that too may change!)

Life is constantly evolving, and so are we.

Old 06-23-2012, 04:34 PM

6,434 posts, read 5,258,156 times
Quote:
Nicely worded, Sun Queen. The way things are going, mandatory military service may be the best plan for national safety. The military may be the first time some boys, maybe a lot, have ever had to do precisely what they're told to do.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:14 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,638,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Passing thru Las Vegas in the late 60's I declared: I would never even allow a dog to live in this city! And where does this dog live now?

I went to Tijuana for the first time in the early 70's, and I declared: You couldn't pay me enough money to return to that city! And what did I stupidly do back in 2005? I bought some land down there to build a house!

I swore on the Koran, the Torah and the Bible I'd never go onto the Internet! Well? I guess I didn't swear loud enough!

Constantly irritated with seeing people with cellphones, again, I swore to the highest stars in the sky, I'd never own one! Again, I didn't swear loud enough?

Lots of other swearing did no good either! Swore I'd never live in a condo! Swore I'd never vote Republican! Swore I'd never cook with Cilantro! Swore I'd quit smoking! Swore I'd never get into another relationship!

Perhaps I should turn to praying instead!
Haha LOL Tij! Especially about the Tijuana thing, that's so something I would do if I had that kind of money. Just an all around funny post that made me laugh, thanks.

Old 06-23-2012, 05:43 PM

8,831 posts, read 11,638,134 times
Quote:
I agree with the others, you're onto something. It would most likely cut way down on crime too. And I love what you said about older people being able to go in, I would SOOOOOO do that right now even at 49. Is there a suggestion box somewhere that you can put this in??

Old 06-23-2012, 07:31 PM

52,364 posts, read 52,828,351 times
I see someone went exacavating and dug up this corpse.

I re-read my OP and I still feel same.

Thanks for those who participated in my little thread.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:51 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,997,863 times
Quote:
While I see the positive side of it, I can see nothing but problems trying to implement such a program today. There would be protests and some heading for the border. And I can see their point as one looks back at the long war we were in. Would these kids be going off to war if we get into another Iraq, or would they be exempt from overseas duty. A good number of today's youth wouldn't even be termed fit for duty by height and weight standards. What would you do with them? Would we reduce the number of regular military as there would be a supplement of youth performing mandatory military service? What would the additional cost of rations, health care services, and other expenses amount to? I don't see it working today at all. I don't know that forcing kids into the reserves would be much easier. There would still be some of the above problems and a huge backlash no politician would want to deal with.

Strong coffee.. that snaps the old computer between our ears into gear. Well for awhile anyway, the caffeine high doesn't last long for me.

Old 07-01-2012, 05:54 PM

12,406 posts, read 18,996,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Ideals are BS. I used to have high ideals and ethics, integrity in my work...and expected others to do the same.

No one cares. So....now I too....am there....collecting a check, waiting for the weekend. You can't do it alone. I gave up. Retirement is in 10 years. Why care any more?
Jasper, maybe your ideals are too high, which is why you are discouraged. Please, don't give up. You know that when you give up you become a person that even YOU don't like.

We don't have children. I often ask my husband, if we had kids, would we raise them with standards to make the world a better place for them having been in it, or would we raise them to survive, be competitive, do well?

I guess we must face reality and try to do the right thing in those little cases where we actually have the opportunity. I mean, we all complain about the state of the world, but in actuality, WE are the world.

Don't give up, just don't try to shake up the big things - the things you probably cannot change anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics