Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2011, 10:02 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,797,076 times

Advertisements

So I got this "compliment" one day. I was at an aerobic class which was one I had attended a while months before then got busy, then went on a diet and lost 30 lbs and then went back to aerobics. During the leg kick exercises the instructor ran over to me and said, "Did you just lose a bunch of weight?" I nodded and told her about the 30 lbs. "You look great," she said. "You used to look horrible but now you look great!" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry but decided to laugh.

Anybody else have such a strange compliment? Oh, a friend at work likes to joke and say, "I don't care what everybody else says--you're alright by me!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2011, 10:07 PM

782 posts, read 1,109,007 times
My ex told me once .."You have a beautiful singing voice but your singing hurts my ears"

Old 10-07-2011, 10:35 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,469,796 times
Simple: It's passive-aggressive. A rude comment disguised in a compliment. Idiots.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:23 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
So I got this "compliment" one day. I was at an aerobic class which was one I had attended a while months before then got busy, then went on a diet and lost 30 lbs and then went back to aerobics. During the leg kick exercises the instructor ran over to me and said, "Did you just lose a bunch of weight?" I nodded and told her about the 30 lbs. "You look great," she said. "You used to look horrible but now you look great!" I didn't know whether to laugh or cry but decided to laugh.

Anybody else have such a strange compliment? Oh, a friend at work likes to joke and say, "I don't care what everybody else says--you're alright by me!"
Isn't it nice to get those backhanded compliments. While you tried to laugh it off, I certainly wouldn't go back there, why patronize a place with people like that working there. You could have said...Perhaps to you I did look horrible but weight loss fixed that. Your problems run much deeper, you might consider long term therapy or a personality transplant. Congrats on sticking with your diet.

Old 10-07-2011, 11:25 PM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
A favourite of my wife's from a film. Girl walks into a party. Host walks over and says
"oh, you've got your blue dress on, I never get tired of seeing it"!!!

Old 10-08-2011, 12:58 AM

44,354 posts, read 20,059,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post

I agree with the poster who said the remark was passive-aggressive. Either that, or the person giving you the so-called compliment is really ignorant and has no social skills. It was best for you to laugh it off, but I can imagine how deeply it hurt for her to say you looked horrible before.

Big congratulations on your weight loss. It's a fantastic accomplishment, stepka!

Old 10-08-2011, 03:34 AM

16,669 posts, read 17,433,087 times
How about 'You have Van Gogh's ear for music'?

Well done on the weight loss by the way!

Old 10-08-2011, 07:55 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times
Sometimes it's passive aggressiveness, and sometimes it's prejudice unbeknownst to the speaker themselves. I've gotten so many backhanded compliments from people it's not even funny. Things like "Oh my God you read so fast" (for reading braille--really why would it be any different from print?) and "wow you walk so fast" (for a blind person). In those cases I don't think it's intentionally hurtful but people don't realize they are operating by a set of assumptions that are just wrong and obnoxious.

Sorry to hear about that compliment Stepka. Once my mom made a compliment like that to Hillary Clinton! "Wow you lost so much weight--you used to be so overweight!" I just about wanted to die, lol.

What can you do with those compliments? Most of the time I try to give the person the benefit of the doubt. If it's really obvious in their tone of voice that they're just trying to take a jab at me then I don't. In that case I just act stupid and pretend to take it as a genuine compliment so they never get their satisfaction of knowing they got to me.

Old 10-08-2011, 08:45 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,179,793 times
Sometimes how we take compliments can depend on our own frame of mind.....

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y56/ZootHouse/funny-graphs-compliment-shirt.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-08-2011, 08:47 AM

861 posts, read 1,124,265 times
This guy told me he wanted to bite my backside...I wasn't too flattered
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics