Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 06:03 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,312,432 times

Advertisements

I'm reading a book about the moon being thrown off course after an asteroid hits it. Needless to say, the earth is having some really bad weather. The story is about how folks deal with this kind of situation.
In the book gasoline is at $12.00 a gallon and it has only been a month since the disaster began.

So, I recalled waiting in line at gas stations back in the 70s when the country had gasoline rationing. Not fun. The max you could buy at one time was 5 gallons and the lines were very long. Then it got worse and we could only buy gasoline on certain days based on our license plate numbers.

Do you remember the gasoline rationing? Have you ever had to ration things other than gasoline?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 06:12 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,530,753 times
We had to ration food!
4 children on a Minister's salary (NOT Billy Graham's!)

We knew not to ask for extras and to make what we had, last until the next pay day.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:19 AM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
I do remember that time Ketabcha! I was too young to drive, but my parents fussed about it.

After raising my two youngest kids by myself with no financial aid, I feel like the past couple of decades have been a rationing process. I was always giving up this to afford that....and still have to from time to time.

Old 10-05-2011, 06:24 AM

8,394 posts, read 3,486,337 times
In Australia - from time to time, and in various areas - we have to ration water! Where I live now there are currently no restrictions, but in Sydney just a few years ago, we were not allowed to water gardens outside of certain hours every other day, and then only with a hand-held hose. We had to wash our cars using buckets of water (no hoses) and were not allowed to hose down hard surfaces such as driveways or paths. Restrictions are relaxed or removed depending on how much water there is in the dams.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:08 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,543,305 times
I have not, but I believe we should. Our over-consumption of goods and services is indicative of our capitalist greed and belies our supposed altruism. Just because some of us can afford to feed our gluttony doesn't mean we should.

We all have our own choices to make, and I do not condone government-enforced rationing, but with each choice we personally make we exact consequences. That's karmic law.

Because so many of us do embrace the idea that we can do as feels good to us, irregardless of the long-term effects on society, our future "karma" gets splayed over everyone.

I believe the attack on the World Trade Center was not about our freedoms, nor our religion, but about our over-consumption and exploitation of foreign resources to satisfy our greed. (After all, it wasn't our churches or our courts that were attacked, but the center of our World Trade.)

If we were to choose to ration ourselves in our consumption, and think about our fellow man as we do ourselves, we might improve the world situation and eliminate the need for the wars we make. Wait a minute, isn't that in effect what all the world's religions tell us? Hmmmm.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 AM

25,080 posts, read 16,322,950 times
Well u got make some stuff like food and gasoline stretch if u don't have the resources to squander... I ration chocolate when I get it.

Old 10-05-2011, 07:12 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I remember gasoline rationing. Also water restrictions. In college the first thing we learned in freshman orientation was "If it's yellow, it's mellow, if it's brown flush it down." Can you believe it? They had all the freshman recite this over and over, and they really hammered home the idea that water was to be rationed.

Also, I remember when our office had one computer for a room of 15 employees and each one of us was allotted only so much time on the computer.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:13 AM

44,346 posts, read 20,047,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm reading a book about the moon being thrown off course after an asteroid hits it. Needless to say, the earth is having some really bad weather. The story is about how folks deal with this kind of situation.
In the book gasoline is at $12.00 a gallon and it has only been a month since the disaster began.

So, I recalled waiting in line at gas stations back in the 70s when the country had gasoline rationing. Not fun. The max you could buy at one time was 5 gallons and the lines were very long. Then it got worse and we could only buy gasoline on certain days based on our license plate numbers.

Do you remember the gasoline rationing? Have you ever had to ration things other than gasoline?
I remember well the gas rationing in the 70s, although it did not affect me directly. I was in college and couldn't afford to have a car anyway, so I had no need to buy gas. I walked or rode a bike everywhere on campus and to my job.

I vaguely remember one time when we had water rationing in NW IN. It was decades ago, and we had a very dry summer. They didn't actually ration water, but they banned sprinkling of lawns. When they did allow sprinkling that summer, it was alternated between homeowners: odd-numbered houses could water lawns on odd-numbered days and even-numbered houses on even-numbered days (or something like that). And sprinkling had to be done in early morning or late evening to keep evaporation at a minimum. It only happened that one season, more than 20 years ago.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:15 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,316,817 times
Water, when it's too hot and dry.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:25 AM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
Yes I remember clearly the gas rationing in the 70's. I was in a business that depended on gas for traveling and it was a pain waiting to get it. Also remember gas and food rationing during WWII.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics