Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 07:05 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times

Advertisements

It depends on the circumstance. If I can understand the reason they're giving it away, it's more likely I'd take it. Someone offering me money because I'm in line at the store and suddenly realize I don't have enough--sure, I'd take it and thank them for being so kind. A total stranger at a metro station handing out $100 bills? No, I'd be suspicious that there was something fishy going one--maybe the money was tainted with anthrax, or maybe it was stolen money and I was being used to transport it (in other words, after I had carried it a certain distance the guy would show up and demand it back) or otherwise being set up as a patsy. If someone is giving me money to buy my friendship that isn't a friend I want.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2011, 09:33 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoresnow View Post
No, I wouldn't. I don't even take it from my cousin in Nigeria who offers it to me on a regular basis.
I think we're related NMS,,,, I just heard from "our" cousin in Nigeria last week.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:10 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Quote:
No, I wouldn't. I don't even take it from my cousin in Nigeria who offers it to me on a regular basis.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
I think we're related NMS,,,, I just heard from "our" cousin in Nigeria last week.
Heyyyyyy... we must all be related somehow. That's exactly what my cousin in Nigeria said to me too.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:20 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
I don't have a cousin in Nigeria. I do have a check for $5,000,000 that I need help cashing. You see I just don't want to pay taxes on the money and prefer to have someone else help me so that we can both benefit. The money could be used to set up a trust that both of us can draw on untill the time that the money had been distributed. If you feel safe helping me please send me your banking information and $500 as a good faith gesture. If you know any attorneys that would be willing to help us create the trust I will allow you the chance to set that up so you feel somewhat protected as this is a large transaction. I will send you the information as soon as I hear back from you.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:22 AM

4,486 posts, read 5,222,075 times
Not a chance!

It even bothers me at the gas station when the cashier grabs a couple of pennies out of the little container they keep on the counter. It's a shame they're too lazy to make change.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:27 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,330,688 times
Entire shows are on the air about people offering to do something for someone. Extreme Makeover Home Edition is one such show. Still we seem to think that we know the people from the show because we watch it on tv. (Not sure if you watch it on tv but I do.)

Elvis was known to give people cars, and other items of high net value. Oprah has done it as well. If someone that I didn't know were to do it I would question why? I have heard of silent santas doing a similar thing. Then again they do it without revealing who they are. For the most part their is a need that the person has and they found out about the need. I have a good friend who's so ran up a $300,000 medical bill and he had no idea how he was going to pay for that. They took him in an office and went over the bill. He knew it was expensive. After the hospital explained the bill they then told him it had been paid for by someone else. Both my friend and I have several friends that have the ability to cover that bill. I don't doubt that one of them paid for the bill.

Old 10-05-2011, 10:33 AM

8,578 posts, read 7,071,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pamelaBeurman View Post
Not a chance!

It even bothers me at the gas station when the cashier grabs a couple of pennies out of the little container they keep on the counter. It's a shame they're too lazy to make change.
Pam, at least you can still find cashiers who know how to make change. What I see more and more often are cashiers who can't calculate on their own how to make change. They can't count backwards from the purchase amount and make the change until the register tells them how much to hand back to the customer. I saw one kid get completely flustered when his register told him how much change to give back and the customer said, "Oh wait. I have two pennies after all. Let's do it that way." The poor kid truly did not know what to do next.

Sad.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:21 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I was watching Judge Judy and there was a case where a teenage male started talking to a teenage female online and she started sending him thousands of dollars. The guy was happy and so was his parents. She started wiring him money, so his mom and dad would go and pick the money up. Her mom found out about it. Turns out she was stealing from her parents. The girl's mother sued the boy's mother for the return of the money and won. I wondered if my boys would accept money from a stranger. Ones said yes the other no. I was shocked the oldest kid felt like if she offers a gift it would be rude not to take it. I think that is totally wrong and u shouldn't take money just because it is offered. Am I out of touch?
No, you are right on. You should not ever give away what is not yours to give. We did any "experiment" in my son's classroom one time, about finding money on the playground. Most of the kids said they would keep it, even if they knew or saw a kid in there class crying because he/she had lost money that their family badly needed. I think my son was in Grade Six. I was furious and took away his allowance for a week...just to let him think about money that wasn't designed for his "needs" but little treats he "wanted". He got the message. Sometimes experience is the best teacher...

Old 10-05-2011, 12:28 PM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,256,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLady View Post
Heyyyyyy... we must all be related somehow. That's exactly what my cousin in Nigeria said to me too.
And here I thought I was Irish all these years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I don't have a cousin in Nigeria. I do have a check for $5,000,000 that I need help cashing. You see I just don't want to pay taxes on the money and prefer to have someone else help me so that we can both benefit. The money could be used to set up a trust that both of us can draw on untill the time that the money had been distributed. If you feel safe helping me please send me your banking information and $500 as a good faith gesture. If you know any attorneys that would be willing to help us create the trust I will allow you the chance to set that up so you feel somewhat protected as this is a large transaction. I will send you the information as soon as I hear back from you.
Wait...did you get this from a soldier who liberated a certain palace over in the Middle East? Because if you did, he promised it to me and I have the canceled check to prove it.

Old 10-05-2011, 12:58 PM

7,371 posts, read 6,829,829 times
Quote:
And here I thought I was Irish all these years.

Wait...did you get this from a soldier who liberated a certain palace over in the Middle East? Because if you did, he promised it to me and I have the canceled check to prove it.
Give NMS back her palace, S2BNS!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics