Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2011, 07:55 AM

7,371 posts, read 6,859,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
Words are like weapons they wound sometimes and when someone intentionally makes nasty remarks they cut much deeper. When I ask someone for their opinion about a situation I do want to hear their "honest' opinion but I hate it when an opinion is forced upon you in a very negeative way. I've also found that the most people who offer unwanted advice often have not experienced anything close to what they are offering advice for.
They are self appointed "experts". Usually a family member in my case.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2011, 08:41 AM

7,965 posts, read 11,777,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
To me, lying is really uncomfortable, and being honest doesn’t have its rewards.

Do we all need to be dishonest, just to make our lives run swoothly?
If more people thought twice before speaking, there'd be less lying necessary.

There are many ways of delivering the truth, but frankly, some people do not want to hear the truth. They'd rather you validate their opinion. People like that, you can't help but hurting. I'd rather tell the truth than be thought untrustworthy, but that doesn't mean that I'm not going to soften it as much as I possibly can, so that my delivery doesn't hurt.

You know....that's one of the things that my kids claim to love so much about me. I won't lie to them. They know that they can always come to me for the honest to God truth, something they claim they can't trust anyone else for. The thing of it is, I can always live with my conscience and I never have to worry about something coming back to bite me in my ass.

Something I despise in people is this...They'll tell someone what they want to hear, then go behind that person's back and tell someone else how they REALLY felt and what they REALLY wanted to say to that person. When person #1 (the one they lied to) finds out from person #2 how the liar really felt....the liar is bent out of shape because person #2 is a backstabber. Well, if ya don't want it repeated, don't say it! If you don't want to offend someone, don't lie to their face and then tell someone else that you lied to them and expect it to remain a secret.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:44 AM

7,965 posts, read 11,777,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
You should have said loudly to him as you were leaving the receiving line, "I sure hope that penile implant works for you this time". That would have shut him up.

Or...."Oh honey, I'm sure glad your incontinence pills are working! How wonderful...you've stayed dry through the entire ceremony!"

Old 10-01-2011, 10:12 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,338,170 times
Quote:
You should have said loudly to him as you were leaving the receiving line, "I sure hope that penile implant works for you this time". That would have shut him up.
Oh, if only I had thought of that one!

Old 10-01-2011, 10:13 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,338,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Or...."Oh honey, I'm sure glad your incontinence pills are working! How wonderful...you've stayed dry through the entire ceremony!"
WHere were you guys when I needed you???

Old 10-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 8 days ago)

4,735 posts, read 3,306,311 times
If I could only spout off the "zingers" that pop into my mind when someone hassles me............I try not to do it (once in awhile I can't help myself).........I try to be nice.............not sure that's a good thing but at least it avoids a feud.

Old 10-01-2011, 08:13 PM

23,481 posts, read 29,405,620 times
The very first lesson any politican learns: Man is ice to truth, fire to falsehoods.

Look what happened to Barry Goldwater!

A child learns that very early in life, when a parent corners him and says:
Tell me the truth, were you or were you not?

Old 10-01-2011, 08:58 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,031,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larksong View Post
If I could only spout off the "zingers" that pop into my mind when someone hassles me............I try not to do it (once in awhile I can't help myself).........I try to be nice.............not sure that's a good thing but at least it avoids a feud.
Just spilling a full glass on this trousers would have done the trick. Then you could have added..oh honey I knew you should have worn your diaper today.

I like what you all have said, people that just have to tell the truth are often mean spirited about it. Far to many people are put together with no empathy and kindness for others.

Old 10-01-2011, 09:08 PM

5,234 posts, read 8,031,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
The very first lesson any politican learns: Man is ice to truth, fire to falsehoods.

Look what happened to Barry Goldwater!

A child learns that very early in life, when a parent corners him and says:
Tell me the truth, were you or were you not?
But of course those teflon coated politicians like, Reagan and George W. Bush, didn't have to worry about fire or ice.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:40 AM
Status: "Civility needs to make a return." (set 8 days ago)

4,735 posts, read 3,306,311 times
Quote:
Far to many people are put together with no empathy and kindness for others.

I've seen this up close and in action but when something bad happens to one of them they expect the world because of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics