Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 03:00 AM

44,402 posts, read 20,136,139 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2011, 01:04 PM

25,080 posts, read 16,351,789 times
Well I think life is what it is- I mean we all get up lay down, eat, drink and , but if u r so real u just see the crap well and good- I am not complaining about u, but if u see life for the better, it doesn't mean u r out of touch with reality. It means u refuse to let crap dictate the limitations of any adverse situation. The smile is just the cherry on the top and for the realist it's good exercise. Now however u choose to face life, U facing one way or the other. "Don't sweat the small stuff" "live and let live" If u don't want to smile don't just keep it moving.

Old 05-30-2011, 02:58 AM

13,695 posts, read 10,073,333 times
I am sitting here with a great big smile on face, I’m not that miserable.

I’m sure there are people out there though, that if you told them you were going to blow your brains out, they would respond with a smile and say, “Great idea, come back and tell me how it went”.

Old 05-30-2011, 05:09 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,142,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
but if u r so real u just see the crap well and good- I am not complaining about u, but if u see life for the better, it doesn't mean u r out of touch with reality.
Very true. They've done lots of studies on how much of a surrounding environment a human brain can grasp, and the truth is NONE of us have much of a grasp on reality, because the whole picture is much more than any human can grasp.

We can only be aware of a limited number of things at a time--a very small percentage of what is actually out there. So, positive people and negative people are equally aware of reality. They just focus on different things.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:42 AM

1,014 posts, read 1,569,048 times
It really is easier to be a smiley happy person.

And you can also fake it too, people dont want to see a meanie.
I go to work and I really can't say that it is faking but I have to be a smiley happy person or I will not get money.

If I am faking it I do a damned good job at it haha

Being positive for me and going forward with that leaves me with good feelings at the end of the day and I feel good about myself.

Negative drags me down and I want to leave a good impression on others

Old 05-30-2011, 07:57 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,486,641 times
I'm one of those people that sees the good in everything. For example, if I weren't deaf-blind I wouldn't have the appreciation for sights and sounds I now have and I wouldn't have the amazingly developed sense of touch and smell I now have. If I hadn't gotten to some points in my life where I seriously wanted to die I wouldn't have the deep love of life and sense of purpose I have now. I think bad things happen for a reason and there is always a lesson somewhere in any sort of bad thing that happens. When people are venting, sometimes I just answer with "I understand" because they're looking for empathy, not solutions. But then I will move onto solutions and if they keep on just wanting me to commiserate with them I move onto greener pastures.

Old 05-30-2011, 07:58 AM

4,196 posts, read 6,439,136 times
I'm always happy untill someone does something inconsiderate to me or someone I know.
Then I get kinda Pissed off, I harldy ever show it though. Not worth my effort.
I'm having a very hard time right now not telling a few people in my life to Go F**K Off..
Not worth it.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:04 AM

10,448 posts, read 12,486,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Very true. They've done lots of studies on how much of a surrounding environment a human brain can grasp, and the truth is NONE of us have much of a grasp on reality, because the whole picture is much more than any human can grasp.

We can only be aware of a limited number of things at a time--a very small percentage of what is actually out there. So, positive people and negative people are equally aware of reality. They just focus on different things.
This is so true, particularly when you have a sense or two cut out. You realize how much your brain is filtering out. When I was deaf-blind, I would pick up on things that sighted-hearing people didn't pick up on cause my brain was only filtering out information from three senses instead of five. As a result, there was less to filter out per sense.

When I was hearing-blind, I could hear sound shadows and I could hear cars coming around corners long before sighted people saw or heard them. I could also hear people walking on the sidewalk outside our house and I could hear when people were getting ready to come into the house and would open the door for them before they had to ring the doorbell.

When I was deaf-blind, I could feel vibrations from hundreds of feet away and I could tell who had been in the room and who was on their period based on smell. I could recognize people by the texture, movement, and moistness of their hands and their personal scent, regardless of perfume or cologne.

None of this is "superhuman." These are all things the human body is physiologically capable of picking up but that people generally filter out because their brains are busy processing vision and hearing, which both take up a lot of brain space (vision about twice as much as hearing for the average person). But when a major sense is cut out, the brain stops filtering out so much from the other senses and you become keenly aware of how much the brain does usually filter out.

This also applies psychologically. We filter out a lot of psychological and emotional information but it is actually quite easy to pick up on information about people's moods based on their overall demeanor and body language in the moment. However most people filter a lot of this information out because it would be overwhelming to be in on every single person's emotional state.

Old 05-30-2011, 08:07 AM

8,003 posts, read 11,745,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Yep...this here. It's how we are "affected" by that reality and how we choose to perceive it that makes all the difference. Many optimists, know and appreciate the Serenity Prayer. It's not just for AA.

Heck, the way I figure it is this....If I'm walking through a store or down a sidewalk, I have a smile on my face..I am probably going to get greeted by at LEAST 15 smiles, maybe even 20. If I have a grumpy frown on my face, I'm probably going to receive 2-5 smiles back! I'll take SMILE for $500 Bob!

Old 05-30-2011, 08:44 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,674,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BECLAZONE View Post
We all know, or even have to suffer them on occasions, the type of person that is even positive about negative things.

Me, I’m looked at as a pessimist, but in fact, I see it as realism.

To a great extent, if someone is friendly to me, or overly positive about something, I have to ask myself, why.

Are you one of them?

Does it help you, not only in work, but in general life?

Do you have to be a smiley happy person to succeed in life?

What’s with all this overly pally networking?

Just wondering!
I find smiley happy strangers, who go out of their way to talk to me, usually have something to sell. If you are approached by a happy stranger who is not a store clerk, they might try to pitch a multi-level marketing scheme.

Don't get me wrong, I like people who are happy in general. I will usually smile at a stranger if they have a little kid or cute dog with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics