Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 12:41 AM

42 posts, read 69,124 times

Advertisements

We recently purchased 2 new Sony Bravia television sets. They are hooked up in different rooms. In one room, the reception is good. In the other room there is continuous snow-like interference in the picture. Also on this T.V. while playing a dvd, the picture is also with interference.Almost like a shadow type of picture. The sound in both rooms is fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 05:20 AM

Location: Finally made it to Florida and lovin' every minute!
22,677 posts, read 19,319,743 times
Sounds like a trip back to the store.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:00 AM
bjh

60,403 posts, read 30,593,490 times
Check the antenna or cable connections to make sure they're fully and firmly attached.

If you're using an antenna with no cable, the antenna may need a different location.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:16 AM

48,493 posts, read 97,162,823 times
If you can switchout the TVs and see if its other than the TV itself.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:15 PM
bjh

60,403 posts, read 30,593,490 times
^
Good idea. Easier to double check the connections first. Then switch them out, if that doesn't fix the problem.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:56 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,067,968 times
You shouldn't have any type of interference while watching a DVD. The picture from a DVD should be very clear and sharp, no matter what other reception issue you might have. I agree with the advice posted above. Check all connections first (including the DVD hookup) to make sure everything is hooked up correctly. If that doesn't fix it, then switch out the TV's and see if you have the same problems on the other TV.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:52 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,894,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TT Dave View Post
You shouldn't have any type of interference while watching a DVD. The picture from a DVD should be very clear and sharp, no matter what other reception issue you might have. I agree with the advice posted above. Check all connections first (including the DVD hookup) to make sure everything is hooked up correctly. If that doesn't fix it, then switch out the TV's and see if you have the same problems on the other TV.
If the problem is a bad cable you can have a poor picture from a DVD.

Old 05-15-2011, 02:07 PM

8,746 posts, read 9,067,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
If the problem is a bad cable you can have a poor picture from a DVD.
That's true, it would be wise to make sure all cables are in good condition as well.

Old 05-15-2011, 05:50 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,999,275 times
Lightbulb keep it simple

Did you ever have a tv working on the cables before? What type of service are you using: antenna, dish satellite, cox cable service, or inside rabbit ears? Chances are you’re not going to receive audio data (you said the sound is fine) and not receive the video data too. Disconnect everything and find the instructions that came with the tv sets, read that first, making the connections that you need without any extra dvd units. Try just the tv first, then add the extras. Also make sure you are correctly setting the tv options for what you have. Reading the manual can help with identifying the correct options needed. Never attempt to install a tv without adult supervision at home. Always have at least five tools available: hammer, screwdriver, pliers, flashlight, and another larger hammer in case the first one doesn’t work well.

Turn them both off, get a cold beer and start the bbq. There’s nothing worth watching on them anyway.

From where I bbq in the backyard, I can see the neighbors pool area, it’s always more interesting than watching tv. This afternoons schedule is “sun tanning” on a towel. Later this evening it will be “moonlight swimming” and drinking wine. I’ve never seen a rerun so far.

I wish you well in fixing the problem, remember most problems can be something "very simple" that causes it to fail. Try and avoid "over thinking" the repair. Keep it simple and don't make it harder than it needs to be.
Spoiler

I remember I had a similar problem and put a ladder up to get on the roof. While checking the antenna ~ my neighbors all came outside and started yelling at me to “jump, jump, jump”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics