Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 06:45 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,607,738 times

Advertisements

Cool JEZER....I'm glad you took over the thread!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
My response to telesales.....

If billions of sales dollars weren't generated by telesales.....people wouldn't be calling. They would also be unemployed. They are just people trying to make a living. Phone numbers are computer generated. If you are called and no one picks up or it reaches an answering machine, then the dialer resets and the number is called again the next time the file is called. No one is sitting there on purpose calling you over and over trying to annoy you.

Just say no and ask them to take you off of their list. For many companies, legally the employees have to hear one of three words in order for the company they work for to allow them to actually remove your number. Those words are:
List
Never
Ever

There is no excuse for being rude to another person....especially one just trying to feed their families in an atmosphere of few other jobs available. We have a large telesales dept in the company I work for. To cuss at these people or act like a jerk on the phone is wrong. They are nice people just doing a job.

Last edited by GloryB; 01-10-2011 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2011, 07:47 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,309,813 times
Welcome, Jezer, and I'm sure you will do just fine with this thread. Peeves are universal.

I have had an unlisted phone number for the past 30 years and that plus the "Do Not Call" list have pretty much taken care of those annoying telemarketing calls.

Note: An unlisted number is only a partial fix as telemarketers are given "blocks of numbers" to call, numbers that may or may not be listed, may or may not be in use.

If I do happen to get a call from a telemarketer, I interrupt them and tell them I am on the "Do Not Call" list and that brings everything to a screeching halt.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:47 AM

20,548 posts, read 30,580,215 times
Welcome Jeezer- so glad you have a new job

Good peeve and it really ticks me off. If I want to donate anything to you or your charity "I" will contact you.

I also hate people who stand in the middle of the road with buckets asking for money. Half the time I can't even read what is on the bucket so I assume the money will just go down under

Old 01-10-2011, 08:07 AM

11,864 posts, read 11,111,442 times
Good peeve, Jezer, and one thing I like about down here is that when they do happen to call and I tell them I give generously to my community, that's it - they don't keep going on and on. I don't really get many telemarketer calls anyway and I've found that it's to my advantage to pretend I don't understand one word of Spanish

Old 01-10-2011, 09:13 AM

21,274 posts, read 6,383,956 times
I've used the Don Not Call registry a few times for salespeople and debt collectors calling for other people and it has worked for me.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:14 AM

10,228 posts, read 16,402,821 times
It's the political campaigns that drive me up the wall the most because, whether they're automated or not, the messages are LONG and redundant.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:10 AM

15,927 posts, read 8,186,560 times
Welcome Jezer, as our new host of POTD.

Yep this is very annoying, that's why I unplug my land line phone, and have caller ID.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:17 AM

21,353 posts, read 8,505,689 times
Welcome Jezer! Glad you took over the thread and it looks by your first announcement, you're going to do a bang up job of it!!

I too am on the Do Not Call list and if one slips through the cracks, or if it's a company I've done business with in the past, or if it's a charity, as soon as they start their spiel, I just firmly tell them, 'I am not interested in your message. Please remove me from your calling list.' If it's a telemarketer, I further tell them, I am on the DO NOT CALL list. If you call me again, I will report your company. Remove me at once please. It's worked great.

The one caller that drives me batty, is the political callers. Over and over and over they call with that automated thing! It doesn't matter which party or no party affiliation you have listed downtown, if you're of voting age, they're going to call you... repeatedly! Since it's automated, it's a little difficult to be removed! lol

The newest one that's happened to me most recently, has been TEXT message telemarketing!! And I have my cell phone listed on the governments Do Not Call list... but I guess it doesn't relate to text messages?

Old 01-10-2011, 11:43 AM

28,804 posts, read 48,019,010 times
I never answer the land line. Ever. That eliminates the problem as our message tells people we get too many wrong dialers (Our number is one off a pediatrician) and to talk for a bit and we'll come to the phone if we're home. It stops the cold calls, but not the politicians or charity workers. I know where the erase button is on the answering machine.

We had the same problem as coastal with our cell phones and dropped the texting feature since we never used it.

And Jezer, I wondered immediately if you were a Brit or an Aussie when I read your post as "s" and "z" mixes always get my attention. Whist is one of my favorite "we don't use that word here" words. Thanks for taking over.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:25 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,309,813 times
When I answer the telephone and I don't get an immediate response to my own "hello", I hang up. That ends the computerized call that is waiting to click in on the other end.

Last edited by Cunucu Beach; 01-10-2011 at 01:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics