Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 11:10 AM

5,143 posts, read 5,405,164 times

Advertisements

Why are these a universal meeting place?

My friend Ryan just texted me and asked if I could meet him at a Starbucks for a minute, to discuss what we discussed.

What, why a coffee shop? Why not just wait until 11 and go to Applebees? I don't drink coffee and neither does he. I don't need a WiFi hot spot, cuz I have 3G.

I asked him why he said coffee shop and he said, "I don't know, just thought that that is where people meet." We both agreed coffee shops suck, and we will be drinking at Applebees at 3, instead.

Beer = closing deals
Coffee = indecisive

Agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 11:13 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Because it's easy, super-quick (even at Applebee's you have to wait longer than at Starbucks to be served, etc.) and cheaper than even many side dishes ($2-3 for a coffee, for example).

That said, I've never yet had anyone officially ask me to "meet" at a Starbuck's or other coffee shop. But my husband and I will often duck into one after one of our walks to grab a quick cup and relax in the atmosphere...it smells sooooooooo good in there (YMMV...some people yack at the smell of coffee).

Old 09-01-2010, 11:14 AM

Not at the bar, you get served with super quickness.

When me and Ryan are hobos we will spend lots of time in bars.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:15 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Smaller, quiter, more private, more like "sitting at home" then a big chain place where you need to wait to be seated or go and sit at a busy and loud bar. Starbucks serves more than coffee too. LOL

Old 09-01-2010, 11:17 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Not at the bar, you get served with super quickness.
Oh. Well, I have never been much of a bar person. It doesn't have anything to do with being a non-hobo, or anything like that. It's just...you can't really hear the other person in the bar.

So I'd say...yeah, definitely the coffee shop over the bar if there's something to really discuss and all that. I mean I can see why a person would make that choice. He'll still go to a bar if you'd rather, right?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
You don't have to meet at a coffee shop. You could meet at a park. You could use Yelp to find a restaurant to meet at.

The sensible thinking is, if you're on break from work, then why meet at a bar? If you're off work today, the sky's the limit.

Maybe you're just adverse to the words "coffee shop." Call 'em restaurants instead. No big deal.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:19 AM

Now we are getting to the crux of the matter:

There is a rivalry between "bar" people and "coffee shop" people. I feel it, feel it in my bones. Could introverts gravitate more towards coffee shops, where as a true loudmouth like myself, feels more at home in a bar?

Old 09-01-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
You don't have to meet at a coffee shop. You could meet at a park. You could use Yelp to find a restaurant to meet at.

The sensible thinking is, if you're on break from work, then why meet at a bar? If you're off work today, the sky's the limit.

Maybe you're just adverse to the words "coffee shop." Call 'em restaurants instead. No big deal.
Meeting has been changed to 3, I've got the flu or something though, so only a brew or two.

I am definitely no master of the English language, but I don't think restaurants and coffee shops are the same thing. Like I'd be down to have some bagels...but only after like 11 or something. I don't like putting things in my belly early in the morning.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:24 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
As somebody who meets a lot of clients in coffee shops, I can name a whole variety of reasons.

1) Low pressure environment.
2) Low cost.
3) Conducive atmosphere to talking.
4) Convivial.
5) Relative quick service.
6) Public place.
7) Good WiFi.

Old 09-01-2010, 11:26 AM

5,024 posts, read 8,892,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSizzle225 View Post
Meeting has been changed to 3, I've got the flu or something though, so only a brew or two.

I am definitely no master of the English language, but I don't think restaurants and coffee shops are the same thing. Like I'd be down to have some bagels...but only after like 11 or something. I don't like putting things in my belly early in the morning.
Then, do you have a Noah's New York Bagels out where you live? Use Yelp and look for "bagels" in the restaurant section.

It can be done!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics