Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2010, 06:01 AM

4,699 posts, read 7,932,540 times

Advertisements

Good tips, Glory! I seem to be a magnet for muggers...I have been mugged several times.
It's a horrible experience, which you never, never forget.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2010, 06:29 AM
Gue

24,118 posts, read 10,179,488 times
Good ideas..Pay attention, throw the purse, & wear the tin foil hat...

I work in a lot of different buildings & at weird hours so this is always a worry. I don't dress up~don't want to give anyone the impression I have any money!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:34 AM

51,691 posts, read 15,766,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I was mugged by three men and one had a gun. It shocked me looking back on it how well and clearly a person can function in a situation like this. The man with the gun to my head kept screaming for my purse. There was nothing in the purse itself but 10 dollars and some toiletries the rest was hidden on my body.

No one ever taught me this, it just came in the moment, but instead of simply handing it to him I threw it as far as it would go and his two buddies took off after it ....he must not of trusted them because he took off after it too - leaving me my out.

Never hand anything to anyone - throw it as far as you can.
Good tip Thursday007. I am glad everything turned out ok and you are still with us.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:35 AM

11,864 posts, read 11,082,926 times
I've never been mugged, but did get the crap beat out of me the New Year's Eve after my dad died - of course I was self-medicating and not where I should be (or paying attention). Once I healed I had a whole new attitude and why when I talk about my look I'm dead serious.

I did take self-defense classes when I was older and working at the DA's office more for fun than anything, but really learned some good tricks including how to throw a 230-240lb cop over my shoulder (shocked the crap out of John lol). The other was don't immediately go for a guys because that's what they're expecting. Several of Glory's tips were also things they talked to us about when confronted with a situation (where it was unavoidable and one couldn't escape). Trying to get away was the first option they recommended.

If not and you had to take them down then like Glory said don't be shy about it - take them down, then get away if possible; don't stick around to fight it out. However, if you have to fight, keep them down for good. There are self-defense classes for all age groups and believe me, when you see what a 70 year old woman can do to a cop (a woman in the same self-defense class I took), well . . . My friend John told me afterwards he was glad I only threw him over my shoulder. That woman put some serious hurt on the cop chosen to come at her from behind, in the dark. Go Granny

Old 09-01-2010, 06:36 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,295,812 times
I think about it often, and knock on wood it's never happened to me. The other day we were sitting at an outside eatery and my purse was beside me. Tons of people around. A lady walked by and muttered to herself, but really it was to me...she said 'don't leave your purse out of your sight'...I was thankful for that remark.....I don't leave it sitting around anymore, even if it's beside me.
Thanks for the tips GloryB, and greetings from the Big Apple!

Old 09-01-2010, 06:43 AM

48,446 posts, read 22,121,630 times
Default Vulnerability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat5e View Post
I notice some people who get really distracted by things like talking on their cell phone and are not paying much attention to what's happening around them. Pretty much everyone has this happen from time to time, some people just seem more distracted though. A little awareness of your surroundings goes a long way towards avoiding bad situations. also, I also see alot of women leaving their purses unattended, say in a shopping cart, and IMHO that's not a good idea unless you live in a really small town where you trust everyone. Just some thoughts.
Yesterday I was in the supermarket parking lot and noticed a woman....putting an uncooperative child in the car seat in the rear of the car..... she was leaning way into the car...making her.... totally vulnerable....her pocket book was in the grocery carriage... unprotected....I thought how totally vulnerable and distracted she was......

I am not sure what she could have done to reduce her personal vulnerability .....I do know she could have secured the pocketbook in the front seat of the car first before starting to get the child in the carseat.....as it was anyone passing by could have taken it or lifted out her wallet....it was all unattended.

Please be careful.

Old 09-01-2010, 06:45 AM

10,662 posts, read 9,364,487 times
Good tips! Thanks!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:02 AM

15,402 posts, read 29,053,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thursday007 View Post
I was mugged by three men and one had a gun. It shocked me looking back on it how well and clearly a person can function in a situation like this. The man with the gun to my head kept screaming for my purse. There was nothing in the purse itself but 10 dollars and some toiletries the rest was hidden on my body.

No one ever taught me this, it just came in the moment, but instead of simply handing it to him I threw it as far as it would go and his two buddies took off after it ....he must not of trusted them because he took off after it too - leaving me my out.

Never hand anything to anyone - throw it as far as you can.
I had a similar experience. I was mugged years ago, and was amazed how calm I was. I couldn't remember all the helpful tips I'd heard over the years, but instinct kicked in and I handled it fairly well (although I did get pretty badly hurt).

The next day I moved out of the ridiculously dangerous city neighborhood that I thought was so funky and cool. My aunt took me in for a few months. She lived out in the suburbs, which I thought was so embarrassing! But after a few weeks I realized how nice it was and that was where I wanted to be, too. I've been a fan of suburban living ever since.

Old 09-01-2010, 07:03 AM

44,466 posts, read 20,236,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GloryB View Post
If you think you're about to be mugged, stay calm and consider your options: acquiescence, running, stalling for time, talking your way out, screaming or-as a last resort - resisting.

If resistance appears to be your only choice, don't be squeamish about it - hurt your attacker any way that you can. Kick his groin or knee. Form your fingers into a 'V' shape and poke them into his eyes (a handful of keys or the teeth of a comb can also do a lot of damage to the attacker's eyes). Bite.

If grabbed from behind, seize hold of your attacker's little fingers and force them back as hard as you can. Rake your heel down the inside of his leg. Stomp your heel into his foot or stomp on your attacker's toes. But don't get too involved in the battle. All you want is a chance to get away.
Great tips, GloryB! It's a shame we have to even think about things like that, but many of us live or work in areas where it's a necessary evil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by studedude View Post
Or walk around with a tin foil hat on. Most muggers will walk over to the other side of the street.
Stude, I think you're right. When I get home tonight, I'll get out the Reynolds Wrap and see what I can come up with!

Old 09-01-2010, 07:08 AM

43,851 posts, read 51,489,304 times
We had a lady at work who was mugged in a Publix parking lot after work (around 8 pm). They didn't hurt her, but she lost her purse. Having to deal with replacing credit cards and ID's is frustrating and expensive. This is why I looked up the mugging tips. I had no idea what I would do in a situation like that.

Thanks to everyone for the personal stories and additional tips. This is an area we all need to be aware of and prepared for. People get real desperate during bad economic times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics