Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 11:38 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,789,613 times

Advertisements

snopes.com: Andy Rooney's Tips for Telemarketers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 12:12 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,295,847 times
https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx I prefer to go the "no call" list route. Your state may have one too as well as the national one. When we got registered on the no call lists, it really did reduce the # of telemarketers. Of course, we still (legally) can get calls for donations, political ads, businesses you've done business with, and then a few stragglers that just break the law, but overall, it has helped bunches.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 PM

821 posts, read 863,122 times
The hold on please one is awesome. I should have thought of that.

Old 08-09-2010, 12:55 PM

36,464 posts, read 16,071,101 times
Great tips Suncoast!! I have to try the one for the robo calls!!!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:03 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,338,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
https://www.donotcall.gov/default.aspx I prefer to go the "no call" list route. Your state may have one too as well as the national one. When we got registered on the no call lists, it really did reduce the # of telemarketers. Of course, we still (legally) can get calls for donations, political ads, businesses you've done business with, and then a few stragglers that just break the law, but overall, it has helped bunches.
That's what I did too.
But these tips will be useful next time I get a call I am not supposed to get!

Old 08-09-2010, 01:25 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,655,411 times

YouTube - ‪Telemarketer prank phone call‬‎

Also, I used to like taking the phone into the bathroom and doing my business while talking to the telemarketer.

Old 08-09-2010, 01:53 PM

9,803 posts, read 16,228,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suncoast Guy View Post
Today... TIPS FOR HANDLING TELEMARKETERS!

Three Little Words That Work!

(1)The three little words are: "Hold On, Please."

Saying this while putting down your phone and walking off (instead of hanging-up immediately) would make each telemarketing call so much more time-consuming that "boiler room sales" would grind to a halt. Then when you eventually hear the phone company's 'beep-beep-beep' tone, it's time to go back and hang up your handset, knowing that those particular people will probably never call you again!

(2) Do you ever get those annoying phone calls with no one on the other end?

This is a telemarketing technique where a machine makes phone calls and records the time of day when a person answers the phone. This technique is used to determine the best time of day for a 'real' sales person to call back and get someone at home.

What you can do after answering and notice there is no one there, is to immediately start hitting your # button on the phone, 6 or 7 times as quickly as possible. This confuses the machine that dialed the call, and it kicks your number out of their system! Yes, it really works!

(3)Junk Mail Help: When you get 'ads' enclosed with your phone or utility bill, return these 'ads' with your payment. Let the sending companies throw their own junk mail away.

When you get those 'pre-approved' letters in the mail for everything from credit cards to 2nd mortgages and similar type junk, do not throw away the return envelope.

Most of these come with postage-paid return envelopes, right? It costs them more than the regular 44 cents postage, 'IF' and when they receive them back from you. If you do not return it, they mailed it to you for FREE -- oops -- Nothing is free! Your taxes help support the Post Office Department who had to carry it from them to you in the first place!

It costs them nothing if you throw them away! The postage was around 50 cents before the last increase and it is according to the weight. In that case, why not get rid of some of your other junk mail and put it in these cool little, postage-paid return envelopes!
I have no problem with telemarketers ever since I got an answering machine and caller ID.

Simple !

Old 08-09-2010, 02:27 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,754,766 times
i kept getting calls from bmg music hounding me to buy more cd's,, i told them if they send me all the cd's free, including the shipping i would be interested... never got a call from them since.

Old 08-09-2010, 08:23 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,232,776 times
I have an unlisted number plus I'm on the "do not call" list.......so telemarketers no problem for me.

Old 08-09-2010, 09:53 PM

1,577 posts, read 2,258,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post

YouTube - ‪Telemarketer prank phone call‬‎

Also, I used to like taking the phone into the bathroom and doing my business while talking to the telemarketer.
Oh! Wonderful use of Judge Judy!! Thank you! i laughed all the way through it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Other Topics