Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2010, 06:00 AM

141 posts, read 589,357 times

Advertisements

I am amazed at how many homes in the price range we are looking at do not have screens over the pools. I thought it was pretty much a given because of the bugs.

Would ya all explain why some homes, that I truely would expect to have them, do not?

screens are needed because... ?????

Approximate cost to cover one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2010, 06:36 AM

995 posts, read 1,695,029 times
Advantages to screen:
Less bugs
Less debris in pool

Disadvantages to screen:
Pool will be colder
Looks ugly

Most high end homes do not have screens.

Old 05-20-2010, 07:00 AM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,869 times
I had a pool without a screen- the only trouble was that the leaves that fell into it from around the sides (kind of an annoying clean up), and critters-there was a snake or two and quite a lot of frogs that liked to swim in it.

Old 05-20-2010, 08:40 AM

193 posts, read 623,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaWorld Bound View Post
I am amazed at how many homes in the price range we are looking at do not have screens over the pools. I thought it was pretty much a given because of the bugs.

Would ya all explain why some homes, that I truely would expect to have them, do not?

screens are needed because... ?????

Approximate cost to cover one?
Screens are a personal preferences in this area as far as I can tell. I don't know what the codes are here in Orange County as far as having an 'open' pool. Seems to me it would need some type of safety restrictive access.

We liked a screen to keep insects and debris to a minimum. If you live near a fresh water source they help keep gators out of the pool.

Screens, just the screen portion, need to be replaced periodically. The aluminum cage needs to be really well anchored or it does get pretty mangled in some of our summer storms.

Cost really depends on the size of the pool and height of the roof line.

Old 05-20-2010, 11:01 AM

5 posts, read 23,374 times
My pool does not have a screen and it stay clean because I have a baracuda cleaner. I would think that cost of upkeep to the screen unit would be more expensive than any money saved by having the screen. I just think they're kind of ugly, although it would be nice to not have wasps diving down to get a drink.

Old 05-20-2010, 04:53 PM

266 posts, read 1,161,904 times
We opted not to screen. We are on conservation and just loved the look of a lagoon looking pool with the woods stretching out beyond. Orlando (city) code requires that you have a 48" fence with magna locks on the gates. I think the mechanism for the gate is at 60". We have the pebbletec finish and use the nautilus cleaner. Only time we have problems is when there is heavy pollen falling

Old 05-20-2010, 05:12 PM

141 posts, read 589,357 times
Um, why are pools with screens colder?

re: The aluminum cage needs to be really well anchored or it does get pretty mangled in some of our summer storms.
Q: Is there a way to tell if the screen is anchored correctly when looking at the house? I would think it would have to be to code? no?

Oh, I should clarify, we would want a fence to protect kids and pets from falling in a pool. We have a pool now and not only have a fenced in yard but gates on the entrance to pool.

We want the screen because we have been told the ants and bugs are terrible down there. Don't ya all have bug control services? We sure do, as I hate ants in the house, and the snakes I have already and hate. Gators, well, oh dear, I want a concrete wall around my property, I thinks!!!!

Old 05-20-2010, 05:18 PM

995 posts, read 1,695,029 times
Quote:
Um, why are pools with screens colder?
For the same reason that you will not get a suntan/burn nearly as quickly under a screen. A fair amount of sunlight and ambient heat is filtered by the screen. It is a noticeable difference.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:36 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,794 times
I was told (and I have come to believe it is likely true) that the screen filters out about 65% of the UV of the sun. I never burn sitting in my screen room - but I burn in about half an hour doing yard work outside of it. Our pool, not heated, rarely goes above 82-84 degrees when it is sweltering out.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:36 PM

193 posts, read 623,864 times
Quote:
re: The aluminum cage needs to be really well anchored or it does get pretty mangled in some of our summer storms.
Q: Is there a way to tell if the screen is anchored correctly when looking at the house? I would think it would have to be to code? no?

Oh, I should clarify, we would want a fence to protect kids and pets from falling in a pool. We have a pool now and not only have a fenced in yard but gates on the entrance to pool.

We want the screen because we have been told the ants and bugs are terrible down there. Don't ya all have bug control services? We sure do, as I hate ants in the house, and the snakes I have already and hate. Gators, well, oh dear, I want a concrete wall around my property, I thinks!!!!
There should be codes but sometimes I think they cover the bare minimum. I know in a neighborhood we lived in, a screen cage 2 doors down was lifted at the corners and bent up but ours was not. Could have been a freak wind gust during the storm. We had something like strong guy wire anchors going diagonally across the screen, they did not.

Many bug control services to choose from. The screen does not keep ants out of the lanai. The screen is mainly to protect from flying insects and debris. Gators scale (crawl up) fences.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando