Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 11:03 PM

711 posts, read 2,109,588 times

Advertisements

Hey all,
25 years old and bringing my 23 year old wife and 2 1/2 year old son down to Disney in June. Where would be the best place to go hang out at the beach for a day? I've been told Daytona and I've been told Cocoa Beach. Which would you suggest? I've never been to the ocean!

Joey
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2010, 11:25 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,517,698 times
Cocoa Beach is fun but it's not very pretty in my opinion.. if you want to see beautiful beaches go to the Gulf, which is around 2 hours drive. St. Pete has some beautiful beaches. Fort DeSoto Beach is considered one of the best in America (it's my fav)

Old 04-03-2010, 11:31 PM

10,757 posts, read 35,460,172 times
I personally prefer the West coast of Florida, the water is warmer, there are more shells and its just a prettier place to be.
If your going to be at Disney, its just as close to go to the West coast and I think you will have a better experience.
I usually go further down the West coast to Fort Meyers and out to the islands of Sanibel and Captiva however I have always heard the beaches at Sarasota and Bradenton are wonderful.
I hope you enjoy your vacation here.

Old 04-04-2010, 01:08 AM

1,416 posts, read 3,215,081 times
Head to the Gulf Coast. Clearwater Beach. St. Petersburg. Pinellas County. Beautiful.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:35 AM

40 posts, read 164,369 times
Siesta Key is one of the prettiest beaches I've visited, and is just about 2 hours from Disney. Totally worth the trip, it is gorgeous.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:15 AM

5,779 posts, read 14,593,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJohnston_STL View Post
Hey all,
25 years old and bringing my 23 year old wife and 2 1/2 year old son down to Disney in June. Where would be the best place to go hang out at the beach for a day? I've been told Daytona and I've been told Cocoa Beach. Which would you suggest? I've never been to the ocean!

Joey
From Disney you can take the 417 Expressway to the 528 which will shoot you out directly to the beach, its a beautiful beach day today

Or, you can jump on I-4 and shoot straight down to Tampa for the West Coast beaches, its up to you

Disney is in a good location for beaches

Old 04-05-2010, 11:25 AM

334 posts, read 1,152,979 times
Cocoa Beach is touristy and can be crowded IMO. The beaches tend to be dirtier because of the crowds. If you're looking for something on the east coast, Canaveral National Seashore is probably the nicest of the east coast beaches, but it's remote. If you're looking for something closer to civilization, I'm a big fan of the beaches in Indialantic, Melbourne Beach, and Sebastian Inlet State Park. The water is a bit cooler than on the west coast (but still swimmable), but the beaches are clean, uncrowded, and there's actual waves. The west coast beaches are gorgeous, but I rarely see waves big enough to surf or boogie-board on. I'm probably a bit biased though since I live near there!

Old 04-06-2010, 07:51 AM

3,979 posts, read 8,189,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
Cocoa Beach is fun but it's not very pretty in my opinion.. if you want to see beautiful beaches go to the Gulf, which is around 2 hours drive. St. Pete has some beautiful beaches. Fort DeSoto Beach is considered one of the best in America (it's my fav)

But if you go West Coast you will not see the Atlantic Ocean, just the Gulf of Mexico .

Beauty is in the beholder. Atlantic beaches are beautiful, too. just in a different way. You can see several different types of beaches in Brevard County. You have the hard packed beaches of Cocoa Beach where it is hard enough sand for cars to drive on. They don't allow it in Cocoa Beach like they do in Daytona, though.

I suggest coming South to Brevard County. The sand is not the soft white sand of the Gulf coast, but is the only type sand some of the endangered sea turtles will nest in so we won't be trucking in the white stuff. Park department even offers night tours to watch turtles nest and lay eggs.
There is a greater possibility of bigger waves, but going to a park like Lori Wilson Park between the tides when the ocean is almost like a lake in June is where I take my little nieces and nephews when they come down. The bottom is smooth and doesn't drop off as fast as on some beaches. Lori Wilson has a pavilion, restrooms/changing area and a nature trail. On Sunday evenings you can even watch the cruise ships as they take off on their journey's.

If you want to see a different type of beach come a little bit further South to Indian Harbor Beach area and check out Canova Beach Park . If you go in June when the tides are out and the beach is at its widest the rocks will be exposed. They are lovely. You will be able to find more shells on the beach when you come south of Cocoa Beach. When you go farther south you lose the rocks in the water and on the waters edge and have the sandy beaches going into the water again. Indiatlantic, Melbourne Beach also have great access to the beaches. Sebastian Inlet is my idea of beach going.....you see the better surfers, it has the fishing pier, jetty, you can watch small boats go out into the ocean, and there is a tide pool on the river side where little ones can play in shallow water and sand without waves knocking them down(charge to get in) .

Melbourne area has all the major hotels right on the beach and sometimes can get really great deals. My nephew spent a few nights with his family of 5 at the Doubletree for less than $60 a night last June and is coming back this summer because they had so much fun. Kids want the beach instead of Disney this year.

Last edited by Rabflmom; 04-06-2010 at 08:01 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando