Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:59 PM

23 posts, read 66,705 times

Advertisements

Orlando to Tampa light rail? Bah... We need a solution for I4. Not only is it gridlocked, but it is dangerous. Between the tourists, locals and those damn speeding motorcycles it's a big problem that needs to be tackled.

Just my opinion of course...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:19 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,699,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galacticfish View Post
Orlando to Tampa light rail? Bah... We need a solution for I4. Not only is it gridlocked, but it is dangerous. Between the tourists, locals and those damn speeding motorcycles it's a big problem that needs to be tackled.

Just my opinion of course...
Its high speed rail. The whole US is going to be covered in it one day. we are just getting the first phase of it. It will help traffic on I-4 and it will create the Tampa-Orlando mega region. People who work in Tampa will now be able to live in Orlando if they want, and vise versa.

Old 01-27-2010, 09:23 PM

5,779 posts, read 14,583,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLS2010 View Post
Its high speed rail. The whole US is going to be covered in it one day. we are just getting the first phase of it. It will help traffic on I-4 and it will create the Tampa-Orlando mega region. People who work in Tampa will now be able to live in Orlando if they want, and vise versa.
High speed rail will be great for Florida and eventually the whole country when it all comes online finally

I can think of several lines between 2 major cities that IMO would be very effective. I'll list them

Atlanta to Charlotte
Detroit to Chicago
St Louis to Kansas City
Dallas to Houston
Tucson to Phoenix
Las Vegas to Los Angeles
Denver to Albuquerue
Seattle to Spokane
Salt Lake City to San Francisco

All good yes?

Old 01-27-2010, 09:58 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,570,586 times
Florida is the 4th largest state in the country and we seriously need sensible mass transit. Is central Florida going to wait until it becomes so gridlocked in traffic that they then start to explore alternatives like light rail after they can no longer stand it?
Gridlock traffic affects our economy from transporting goods to tourism. Trust me I know because I come from gridlock hell called Miami and Orlando and the metro will continue to grow.
Miami in the 1980s bit the bullet and built Metrorail, Metromover downtown & Tri-Rail which is a commuter rail system between Dade, Broward & Palm Beach and it still is not enough.Learn from our mistakes!
Southeast Florida waited to long to implement mass transit and it is paying a price for it.
Central Florida has a opportunity now with Sunrail & high speed rail but it needs a light rail system now to connect these systems before the population of Orange county doubles. It needs to improve LYNX as well.
I say to my central Floridians don't wait until the problem with transportation is so bad they we are stuck in a parking lot situation like many of my south Floridians and it starts to affect tourism as well.
Just my 2 cents!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:15 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,864,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
High speed rail will be great for Florida and eventually the whole country when it all comes online finally

I can think of several lines between 2 major cities that IMO would be very effective. I'll list them

Atlanta to Charlotte
Detroit to Chicago
St Louis to Kansas City
Dallas to Houston
Tucson to Phoenix
Las Vegas to Los Angeles
Denver to Albuquerue
Seattle to Spokane
Salt Lake City to San Francisco

All good yes?

I would modify a few

ATL to CHl...no need
DET... why? Go from Chicago to STL or Minn
STL to MCI yes
Dallas to Houston. ok with a stop in San Antonio
tucs to Phx... why?
Denver to KC... anything to speed that drive across KS
then San Fran to LA/ San Diego
Seattle to Portland
ATL to MCO or MIA

Old 01-27-2010, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
I would modify a few

ATL to CHl...no need
DET... why? Go from Chicago to STL or Minn
STL to MCI yes
Dallas to Houston. ok with a stop in San Antonio
tucs to Phx... why?
Denver to KC... anything to speed that drive across KS
then San Fran to LA/ San Diego
Seattle to Portland
ATL to MCO or MIA
I was simply stating my opinion on what I think would be some good high spped rail routes.

I like the Denver to KC one

I used Tuscon to Phoenix because even though they are relatively close, and since youre in real estate correct me if Im wrong. A lot of people may choose to have a lower cost of living in Tuscon and commute to Phoenix via high speed rail

There's no need for high speed rail from ATL to Charlotte? Why is that?

Old 01-28-2010, 06:14 AM

1,639 posts, read 5,101,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieJ89 View Post
I was simply stating my opinion on what I think would be some good high spped rail routes.

I like the Denver to KC one

I used Tuscon to Phoenix because even though they are relatively close, and since youre in real estate correct me if Im wrong. A lot of people may choose to have a lower cost of living in Tuscon and commute to Phoenix via high speed rail

There's no need for high speed rail from ATL to Charlotte? Why is that?
Yeah I like that ATL to Charlotte idea, that would be the bomb Whoever said there is no need for that one, I would like some of what they are smoking. Atl and Charlotte are two of the biggest regions in the southeast.

Old 01-28-2010, 07:42 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,056,979 times
I don't know. I am all about high-speed rail serving the country, but Tampa is only 1.5 hours away by car. I mean by the time you drive to the airport, park, go through rail security (which I'm sure there will be in this day and age in America), wait for the train, etc, you could be halfway to Tampa. I just don't know about this, and I am a HUGE fan of trains and high-speed rail. If it was Orlando to Miami, which I thought was part of this deal, I would be WAY more excited. At least there you are looking at a 4 hour trip that would clearly benefit from high-speed travel, but who can't handle the drive to Tampa?

As for business use, nobody in their right mind is going to live in Orlando and commute via rail to Tampa and then get off the train and have to take public transport to work. It's just way too much hassle for the average person.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:15 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,699,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post
I don't know. I am all about high-speed rail serving the country, but Tampa is only 1.5 hours away by car. I mean by the time you drive to the airport, park, go through rail security (which I'm sure there will be in this day and age in America), wait for the train, etc, you could be halfway to Tampa. I just don't know about this, and I am a HUGE fan of trains and high-speed rail. If it was Orlando to Miami, which I thought was part of this deal, I would be WAY more excited. At least there you are looking at a 4 hour trip that would clearly benefit from high-speed travel, but who can't handle the drive to Tampa?

As for business use, nobody in their right mind is going to live in Orlando and commute via rail to Tampa and then get off the train and have to take public transport to work. It's just way too much hassle for the average person.
The Miami line is part of phase 2. the Tampa Orlando line will benefit the area. The high speed rail will go directly in downtown Tampa and the sun rail will take passengers into downtown orlando and other parts of orlando. It will cut the 1.5 hour trip in half and will save gas, time and money. Plus this will be great for the college kids. I know so many people from the Orlando area who go or are planning to go to USF and there are a lot of people who go to UCF from Tampa, I guess because they can leave home without being too far from home. So this rail will be very convienent for them so they don't have to waste gas on there tight college budgets to go back and forth from college and home (which is a hassel). And it will be benefitial to the inpatient younger generation who hate long car rides.

Last edited by GLS2010; 01-28-2010 at 08:46 AM..

Old 01-28-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete C View Post

When I lived in Connecticut, the town we lived in was exactly 90 miles from New York City. We knew tons of people who would catch the Metro North train in Waterbury or Naugatuck Stations, ride into Grand Central, and then take the subway, bus or taxi to their jobs. Some lucky folks walked

It wont be that way here if ever, Im jsut stating that many people I knew personally did it everyday.

If high speed rail were to come on in 6 months time both Tampa's bus system and Lynx here in Orlando would need to set up connection routes to major employers in their Downtown areas. A lot of people will not opt to take a bus for some obvious and very good reasons. A majority of jobs in Downtown Orlando seem to be right on Orange Avenue, if they really start using Church Street Station as a stop on the new commuter or high speed rail, most people may be able to walk to their jobs at SunTrust, City Hall, Bank of America, Wachovia, Regions, BB&T, etc. You get my point

So finding public transportation after getting off the high speed rail into Downtown Orlando may not be much of a problem as our Downtown is still relatively compact and very walkable
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando