Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 01:47 PM

23 posts, read 93,806 times

Advertisements

Ok, so my husband may have a job in Haines City. I've been looking on line for a nice place to move (we have 2 kids, 10 & 7). Clermont appears to have good schools and also appears to be a short commute to Haines City. After reading these threads, I am a bit confused &/or scared ! You should know, we are currently DVC members and love WDW as we always go there for our vacations, so this seems like a great move...am I crazy ?

So here are my questions, what neighborhood is good to rent a house and how hot does it really get? We usually visit WDW in Sept and have been there in May and November as well. By the way, we currently reside in south jersey.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2007, 02:01 PM

442 posts, read 2,912,422 times
Hot , it gets very hot ...about 90 to 95 but you have to contend with the high Hummity as well which reaks havoc on ones hair...lol
Clermont is nice use to be a sleepy little town but not its bustling ...
Not sure about where to live in Clermont, but most of its pretty safe...as for the commute your right its not a bad drive to haines city..which is not a good place to live...
The Summer months are very very hot and hummid .. and don;t for get about the pesky hurricanes...last yr we got NOTHING...Hope and pray we get NOTHING this yr either !

Old 05-15-2007, 02:46 PM

5 posts, read 34,524 times
How is the crime rate in Clermont? I was going to start a topic about this as well but thanks shink113. What type of place is Clermont? Is it like a town or city? Also are there projects in Clermont or are those in another town not near Clermont? Well i would greatly appreciated if someone answer this. Thanks you in ahead of time.

Old 05-16-2007, 12:10 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,095,082 times
I live outside Clermont (not in city limits), but I've heard others talk about the high crime rate. I personally don't see it. There are things like shoplifting, burglaries, DUIs, drug busts, and we've even had a couple of murders in the past year or two. But I feel perfectly safe, not afraid to go out at night, not afraid to go shopping at night. We have many great neighborhoods! (I also answered a post in another thread about their moving to Clermont...you may want to see that as well.) Truthfully, I have also heard the crime in some newer areas south of Clermont (around Four Corners) is high. That's still a Clermont address but about 10 miles south of Clermont on Hwy. 27...I wish I knew how to obtain specific information for you, but, I simply don't have it. Maybe the Lake Co. Sheriff's office has some of that information.

Do you mean low income housing projects? I think there are some apartments that may fit that description but we're certainly not overrun with ghettos. I'm not sure we even have one! Rental homes are seen in just about every subdivision and there are management companies or realtors who can help locate those.

Old 05-16-2007, 02:05 PM

1,594 posts, read 5,281,316 times
My husbands family lives in Clermont and the only crime they have is from bored teenagers or domestic for the most part. It really has grown in the past 5 years so there is a lot more to do with out going down 50 towards "Crime"Hills. Go to Craigslist.com and search for home rentals in Clermont. If it is a newer development then I don't think you will have a problem with crime at all. The heat is not as bad in Clermont then in most of Central Florida because it is on the ridge and there are a lot of hills - it really is beautiful and there are wonderful walking trails on top of it. Hope this helps - good luck!

Last edited by Keeper; 09-02-2008 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: removed pm me message regarding house

Old 05-16-2007, 10:04 PM

126 posts, read 570,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shink113 View Post
what neighborhood is good to rent a house
Lost Lake is really nice for a young family. Nice houses and good schools.

Old 05-17-2007, 07:45 PM

48 posts, read 262,627 times
Clermont is a very nice area. If lookin at a map, its west of Orlando. Its growing a lot. Lots of new housing and apartments and businesses etc. Good place to raise a family. Good schools as well. However, Clermont is just experiencing sprawl like many Orlando suburbs, so lets just hope its getting planned out properly.

Old 05-18-2007, 12:49 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,062,645 times
There isn't alot of crime there. It actually isn't part of Orlando metro area really. It is... but it is very far out, quite a drive. If you lived in Claremont and had to commute to Orlando metro area (especially the north or east parts, like Sanford, Lake Mary, or Oviedo), it would be a heck of a drive. It is also quite a ways from Disney, but so is alot of stuff in Orlando... it's actaully not all that close.

Lots of new people think people in Orlando go to Disney all the time and we all work for Disney, and it simply isn't the case. I haven't been to Disney in five years. For one thing, the prices are obscene.

Old 05-18-2007, 06:13 AM

23 posts, read 93,806 times
What about the commute to Haines City? I'm guessing 30-45 minutes tops, is that about right? Also, can anyone be more specific about which neighborhoods to look at for both renting or buying...thanks

Old 05-18-2007, 06:00 PM

5 posts, read 31,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shink113 View Post
What about the commute to Haines City? I'm guessing 30-45 minutes tops, is that about right? Also, can anyone be more specific about which neighborhoods to look at for both renting or buying...thanks

It all depends where in Clermont you live. If you live down south 27 closer to where it turns into 192 it can probably take you around 30 minutes. If you live deeper into the city limits like where the high school is... it'll probably be around 45 minutes.

What is your price range? The average price of houses here that are in good neighborhoods are around the mid 200's. Also, schools here are pretty good but definitely overcrowded. The high school for example, has over 2700 kids and is built for only 1800. It's the only one in Clermont. They have two middle schools and are building another one that'll probably be done by 2009 school year. The elementary schools are pretty good. Some are overcrowded but not as much as the upper schools.

There also has been major construction on 27 because they are making it an 8 lane highway. This construction has been a major traffic problem and it should be finished in about a year or so

You could also check out Minneola which borders Clermont. It used to be considered Clermont but to me it's pretty much the same thing. The only thing that is different is in some parts, the school zoning.

Some subdivisions in Clermont you can check out is Spring Valley(which is behind Kohls), The reserve at Lost Lake(which is behind the high school) Skyridge Valley, Northridge, and Siera Vista which is on citrus tower blvd. next to the hospital

Hope that helps and good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando