Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 05:42 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,215,778 times

Advertisements

At the risk of beating a dead horse, I thought those interested in east Orlando would be interested in some facts from today's Orlando Sentinel.

Alafaya Trail winds its way south from State Road 50 for about seven miles before coming to an abrupt end at the gates to Orlando Utilities Commission's Curtis H. Stanton Energy Center.

Yet this corridor is "one of the hottest retail submarkets in town," says real-estate broker Bobby Palta of CB Richard Ellis' Orlando office.

The reason: people, the traffic they generate and the money they spend.

The median household income within a 3-mile radius of Alafaya Trail and Avalon Park Boulevard, for example, is $70,632 -- nearly 60 percent higher than the median of $44,236 for all of Orange County.

The county has started work on Innovation Way, a boulevard designed to connect Alafaya's south end with the BeachLine Expressway and Orlando International Airport.

Innovation Way, part of Crotty's broader vision of a high-tech-business corridor stretching from the University of Central Florida to the airport, will start at the junction of Alafaya and Avalon Park Boulevard and wind southwest around the power plants to the BeachLine (S.R. 528) before eventually heading west to OIA, not far from a planned biomedical complex at Lake Nona.

Yep, this is the 'ghetto' called east Orlando.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 08:25 PM

91 posts, read 496,340 times
Wow Nirvana-guy did you hear that. Ghetto people making $70,000+. I live in East Orlando/Conway Ghetto and I make more than that. It's not bad living in the Ghetto and making good money.

Old 04-24-2007, 08:48 PM

14 posts, read 36,635 times
Thanks for pointing out those stats. I recently visited the Alafaya area and the wealth of shops, etc. and diversity in the area.

cwebgrrl

Old 04-24-2007, 08:52 PM

53 posts, read 278,494 times
You rock Piano Gal

Old 04-25-2007, 06:52 AM

640 posts, read 3,076,917 times
Part of why East Orlando living is fine livin'. Factor in all the Lake Nona developments, I'd say this is the place to be if you're moving to Orlando.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:26 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,834,397 times
Thumbs down Average = not what it seems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianogal View Post
The median household income within a 3-mile radius of Alafaya Trail and Avalon Park Boulevard, for example, is $70,632 -- nearly 60 percent higher than the median of $44,236 for all of Orange County.
The area they covered is in Avalon Park, which is a rich area.

Well, let's say 10% of the homes in Avalon/East Orlando have multimillionaries in it. They make millions opf Dollars per year.

Then 10% are the middle class folks, who make the usual $40,000 a year.

Then the remaining 80% of East Orlando the makes the typical $12,000 - $17,000 year, the common wage for East Orlando people.

When you average out everyone, including the multi-millionaries, then yes, you will get a super high average.

Now.... you think most people in East Orlando make $70,000 a year?? If you do, you need to have a drink of Kool-Aid.

It's like saying everyone in Lake Mary makes a fortune. And I live there.... please!

Estimated median household income in 2005: $73,700 (it was $69,485 in 2000)

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $320,200 (it was $180,000 in 2000)

So should you assume people in Lake Mary are rich?? Not necessarily. That is because we have people driving Lamborghinis and Lotuses down the street into Heathrow.

This is called an "average". It does NOT reflect the reality on the ground. But you might not know that... specially if you are so blind to say "East Orlando is good" that you let go of all reasoning.... East Orlando is mostly ghetto, we all know it, let's get this issue out of the way.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:28 AM

The point that Pianogal and the rest of us is trying to make is this NG - in previous posts you always say "ALL" of East Orlando is ghetto. Now you say East Orlando is "mostly" ghetto. I think in order to set the record straight, the residents who actually live in the Waterford Lakes/Lake Nona areas of East Orlando would concur that "SOME" of East Orlando is "ghetto", as you put it. I personally don't like to use the word ghetto because to me, it promotes thoughts of inner-city wasteland and to me, even the poorest parts of East Orlando do not look like that. I'm sure there is plenty of crime and awful people in these poor sections of town but these areas aren't "all" East Orlando.

Anyone who has any common sense realizes that every town has it's good and bad areas and to promote all of East Orlando as "all" or "mostly" ghetto is preposterous. Also on a side note, a previous poster had mentioned that some of us don't like to hear the negative sides of Orlando living. I can only speak for myself but I do favor postings on what people see as negative. However, it's so very subjective because everyone experiences different aspects of living in the same place. Because NG's experience in a bad area of East Orlando was a real experience for him, he should say so. But when he lived 10-12 miles away from the part of East Orlando that I and others live in, he shouldn't mislead out-of-towners to believe all of East Orlando is bad... that is the real issue of disagreement on these boards.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nirvana-Guy View Post
The area they covered is in Avalon Park, which is a rich area.

Well, let's say 10% of the homes in Avalon/East Orlando have multimillionaries in it. They make millions opf Dollars per year.

Then 10% are the middle class folks, who make the usual $40,000 a year.

Then the remaining 80% of East Orlando the makes the typical $12,000 - $17,000 year, the common wage for East Orlando people.

When you average out everyone, including the multi-millionaries, then yes, you will get a super high average.

Now.... you think most people in East Orlando make $70,000 a year?? If you do, you need to have a drink of Kool-Aid.

It's like saying everyone in Lake Mary makes a fortune. And I live there.... please!

Estimated median household income in 2005: $73,700 (it was $69,485 in 2000)

Estimated median house/condo value in 2005: $320,200 (it was $180,000 in 2000)

So should you assume people in Lake Mary are rich?? Not necessarily. That is because we have people driving Lamborghinis and Lotuses down the street into Heathrow.

This is called an "average". It does NOT reflect the reality on the ground. But you might not know that... specially if you are so blind to say "East Orlando is good" that you let go of all reasoning.... East Orlando is mostly ghetto, we all know it, let's get this issue out of the way.
I'm not sure where you are getting these statistics. I live in Waterford Lakes and we are far from millionaires. I know many people who live in Waterford, Eastwood, Stoneybrook and Avalon Park and they are all middle class families. This area is filled with people who work at Lockheed, Siemens, and are engineers, nurses, teachers, etc. If I'm throwing my own personal opinions out there on statistics, as you, I'd say that East Orlando is probably 75% middle class with an income of $40-$75k or more. Heck, I'm a lowly AA making around $34k and my husband is an engineering executive so we are only one couple in East Orlando, out of thousands in this region that probably wouldn't make your statistics valid. Don't forget, East Orlando is a very large area and not just the bad areas you continue to reference.

Does anyone out there know the square mileage of East Orlando by the way? East of I-4 to Avalon Park Blvd? North from University Blvd to the Lake Nona area?

Old 04-25-2007, 09:05 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,834,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenAroundTheBlock View Post
I'm not sure where you are getting these statistics.
https://www.city-data.com/city/Orlando-Florida.html

https://www.city-data.com/city/Lake-Mary-Florida.html

Straight from our own city-data!!

The bad East Orlando is: the Goldenroad, Semoran, Old Cheney hwy, Conway, Hoffman, Dean road, Colonial (north of VCC East campus), Union Park to the north, Oxalia drive, Aloma (close to the Colonial area) areas of Lake Underhill, Curry Ford .... the usual and known ghetto areas.

Do you disagree the above mentioned areas are ghetto areas?? Why so?

East Orlando is not all bad, but there is a ton of ghettos there. I don't know why people here deny that!! West Orlando where I grew up (MetroWest) and the area is a crime haven now..... so why people feel compelled to lie and say East Orlando is some kind of paradise... ?

Old 04-25-2007, 11:45 AM

266 posts, read 1,162,678 times
Default East Orlando ghetto????

Ha! That's a laugh! I live there - know the streets.

I grew up in the 32805 zip area - there's NOTHING in East Orlando that would compare to it! Kaley & Parramore St is ghetto! Even Orlando's "Parramore Restoration" project won't extend to the house in which I was raised.

I'm happy to be in East O....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando