Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2009, 03:13 PM

14 posts, read 57,713 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I have been looking through all the Seminole County posts for a while now. My husband and I have 5 small children (ages, 10, 8,5 and 2 yr old twins). We were born and raised in South FL. Have been married 11 yrs and have had 9 cross country moves in that time for dh's job (IT). We have relocated to Orlando 3 weeks ago from Iowa. Currently we are renting a townhome in Windermere in Summerport. Our 2 oldest children have special needs. The oldest has ADHD, Aspergers, Sensory Processing Disorder and a Specific Learning Disablility that makes him eligible for services through the school. Our 2nd child has Anxiety (severe), is gifted (3 grade levels above her grade in reading alone) and she is still being evaluated.

Here are my questions!

1. Schools- I have heard Seminole County is the best. What schools specifically? I am looking more at the middle and high schools because we are NOT moving again. We are not looking at purchasing a home right now, as we just lost money on our last home so it will take us 2-3 yrs to save up a downpayment for our next home. I am trying to figure out if it would be better for us just to stay here in Windermere, with Keenes Crossing Elementary and Bridgewater Crosssings Middle School for those 2-3 yrs or go ahead and move to Seminole County and break our lease now. I dont want my kids to keep moving schools. I need to get IEP's and get them settled. How are Windermere schools vs Seminole schools?

2. Home prices... Since we ARE one income WITH 5 kids... we can only afford $200K on a home. This limits me. I know. We found townhomes in Windermere for sale for $155K though.

3. We are looking for a family neighborhood. In our last neighborhood, we had 27 kids on our street (I was the only one with 5 tho.. most had 2 or 3). Here in Windermere... WHERE are all the kids? I am HOPING it is just too hot and they are inside. But it is quite a shock not to see kids OUTSIDE.

I would appreciate any advice that you can give me some direction on this subject.

My DH is a consultant so his projects could be ANYWHERE in Orlando. Right now he is off Hiawassee north of Pine Hills.

Thx

Debra
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 04:00 PM

986 posts, read 3,550,430 times
To be honest both areas are very nice, but in all honesty i dont hold any stock in the way schools are graded here and i say that as a father. I am a realtor and i also live in the Winter Garden/Windermere area. I know people who live in Seminole County and have had good experiences with the schools and we have friends here in the area who like us are extremely happy with the schools.

Each area has good and bad schools and although there are various rankings and many people on these threads rave about seminole county and say the schools there are better, unless they have sent their children to schools in the area then they really have no idea.

From my point of view, we are extremely happy with our daughters schooling. She will be moving to a new school due to rezoning actually in Summerport and knowing a great many teachers the new head master is supposed to be fantastic and has been given free reign apparantly as he is so good. However, the proof is in the tasting so we will wait and see.

In terms of the area, even with a top end budget of $200,000 that will get you into a single family home in the neighbourhood.

In our area and the area my mother in law is at we see kids in the area all the time.

Given the challenges your children have, have you considered running a google search for schools which have experience in the issues your children have. I dont know of any schools off hand that may be able to assist you, but in terms of regular schools in my experience and friends and families experience the arguments i see on here are alot of hype.

There are good and bad schools everywhere and Seminole county is no different.

Good luck

Old 07-30-2009, 06:45 PM

133 posts, read 191,338 times
We were considering buying a home in Windermere. Our realtor has been sending us listings and there are amany beautiful, two story homes with 5 bedrooms, one even had six, under 200K! Most of these were in a very beautiful area, called "Lakes of Windermere.

Old 07-31-2009, 01:10 PM

67 posts, read 266,813 times
Mom2Many,

I sent you a private message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando