Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2009, 01:27 PM

39 posts, read 102,819 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at buying a house somewhere in the Orlando area within the next couple of months. We had narrowed it down to Seminole County, specifically Oviedo, but my husband recently heard some positive things about Clermont and wants to consider there as well.

My concerns regarding Clermont are: It seems so far from Orlando. My husband's job will take him all over central Florida, but I'll be searching primarily in Orlando. I'd like to avoid anything over a 45 minute one-way commute. The city-data page for Clermont also shows higher crime statistics than I'd like... Is it localized to one area? Or just, how safe is Clermont in general? I'd looked at the Seminole County schools and liked what I saw. How are Clermont's schools?

Finally, I'm trying to search for houses in the area but it's showing Lake County Clermont and Polk County Clermont.. Can anyone give me a streat or area where it splits? I can't find a clear map...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 02:15 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
There are two zip codes to Clermont. The majority of crime is in 34714. 34711 is very quiet and safe with lots of amenities. All of Clermont is in Lake County, and that's where you want to look. You basically want to look north of Lake Lousia.

Clermont's schools are generally very good and have been getting progressively better each year.

It really depends on where his office is, and what times he'll be commuting as far as travel times. I drove to the heart of downtown Orlando last night and was parked about 35 minutes after I left my driveway.

Old 07-09-2009, 11:13 PM

5 posts, read 14,085 times
I live in South Clermont 34714 and absolutely love it. Our community is gated and have seen nothing in the way of crime. Send me a PM if you would like more information.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvanlare View Post
I live in South Clermont 34714 and absolutely love it. Our community is gated and have seen nothing in the way of crime. Send me a PM if you would like more information.
You are renting in a short term rental community, somethign which most people have no desire to do when they are owner occupying a property.

When you own a home that you will live in, most people want to live in a community where they can put down roots and get to know their neighbors--something that simply doesn't happen in a rental community. I strongly suggest that you be upfront about where you live when offering suggestionis, because the majority of people looking to buy a home have no desire to move into a short term rental community as a full time resident.

Also the cold hard facts are right there, there is crime in 34714, and most of it is based around Wal-Mart, two apartment complexes, and a couple of the short term rental communities. If you don't belive me, call the police department. Short term communities are especially prone to burglaries, FYI. The traffic in 34714 is also pretty bad, mostly because of the transient nature of the area with people who don't know the roads and make left hand turns from the right hand lane or stop dead in the middle of 27 because they missed the turn into their rental community.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:20 PM

2 posts, read 5,553 times
It is not too far from Orlando, and compared with the traffic in Oviedo, I would consider the commutes about the same. There's not much crime here. Clermont's crime of choice is marijuana, you'd find Clermont's criminals at McDonald's at midnight rather than in ghettos so really you are very safe here. Lake and Polk county don't even touch so you must have been misinformed.. Clermont just got a new middle school and is working on a new high school so I'd consider the school system to be pretty good.

Old 09-13-2009, 02:00 PM

Huh? Lake and Polk definitely touch. The southern border of Lake runs along the northern border of Polk. Drive down Route 27. Don't turn onto 192 to go to Disney, just keep driving south. You're now in Polk County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando