Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 07:48 AM
gep gep started this thread

1 posts, read 2,563 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to purchase a vacation home around Walt Disney World. We're very flexible with regard to location (up to 30 or 40 minutes North/North East of WDW) and type of dwelling (SFH, Condo, TH). We would consider short term rental zoning, not a requirement, as we are budgeting for zero rental income.

Ultimately, we want to ensure that the neighborhoods we consider are 1. safe, 2. those neighborhoods with HOAs are financially stable, and 3. the combination of HOA fees and taxes are reasonable (e.g. best value -- not necessarily cheapest, hopefully not an oxymoron ).

In terms of budget, I'd like to spend no more than 50k. Financing will either be cash or a traditional mortgage depending on the circumstances/advantages.

Our investment timeline is open ended. In other words, we're not looking to buy today. We're willing to wait for the perfect opportunity and/or longer purchasing processes associated with short sales/foreclosures.

Questions for the group:
  1. Are we being realistic? Are we looking for something that's hard (or impossible) to come by? Can a situation I've described be found in every quality neighborhood in central FL? Or, are these opportunities somewhere in between bountiful and rare??
  2. Can you recommend towns/zip codes that meet our criteria?
  3. Can anyone in a similar situation enlighten me on their experiences? Recommendations, etc?
Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 09:03 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,109,835 times
Personally I don't think you are being at all realistic. You get what you pay for. You won't get a house in that price range, and condo's in that range are generally going to be in communities with the HOA in financial shambles.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:25 PM

986 posts, read 3,553,966 times
If im reading your post correctly and you want to purchase a property for $50,000 then you are being totally unrealistic. The market has bottomed out now and we are seeing sales increasing, however, people are not giving properties away. If you are looking for a second home as a vacation property which you can rent out aswell to try to generate some income, then you are going to need to spend a minimum of $100,000 and realistically for a good property in a good area around $150,000.

If you are unable to do this then in all honesty you need to wait until you can afford this or forget the idea. I have seen on these threads recently people asking the same questions with the exactly the same budget and i will tell you the same thing i told them. I wouldnt buy a property in that price range even if you were paying for it. You will loose big in the end.

I would recommend you take a look at some of those threads

https://www.city-data.com/forum/orlan...questions.html
Good luck.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:45 PM

675 posts, read 2,686,881 times
cfIfan, how are vacation rentals doing in Central Florida right now? IF you owned a decent condo near the attractions, how often could you realistically expect to rent it out per year? Any thoughts on Windsor Palms? Thanks.

Old 06-24-2009, 01:57 PM

196 posts, read 818,663 times
unrealistic...I have seen some condos in winter garden (close to the fl turnpike) offered for $60k. However, the HOA is around $300 a month! so you will get it cheap now but it wont be cheap to maintain. WDW timeshare for example would set you back $60k for two summer weeks a year! I believe that you could get a good condo for around a $100k.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:22 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,109,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2KidsforMe View Post
cfIfan, how are vacation rentals doing in Central Florida right now? IF you owned a decent condo near the attractions, how often could you realistically expect to rent it out per year? Any thoughts on Windsor Palms? Thanks.
I have several friends who own vacation homes that they rent--they actively market their homes. They get between 10 and 25% of the weeks rented each year, and that's by not using the home themselves on the peak weeks. They have had to cut their rental rates to remain even remotely competitive. One couple has a home home that stays rented at 40%, but they have a couple that rent for a full three months every year, and have been for five years now. But the couple is getting older and have indicated they might not be back next year.

I don't know if my friends experiences are typical, but from what I've heard through the grapevine, I tend to think they are.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:41 PM

482 posts, read 2,419,949 times
You can find a condo if you look around, many of the cheap ones are condo conversions from apartments and you do need to make sure their reserves are funded and they are not full of forclosures who are not paying their HOA Fees. If you want a house for $50k you might find a forclosure in Poinciana (do lots of reading on that area before you consider it) and it will most likely need considerable fixing up. Real estate is a great buy here but something nice in the form of a house in a decent neighborhood is probably going to be in the $150k range as previously mentioned.

Old 06-24-2009, 03:03 PM

56 posts, read 143,923 times
I don't know anywhere in this country you could get a place for 50K!

Old 06-24-2009, 03:06 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,157,258 times
You can get small condos for that price, but they are usually apartment conversions in crappy parts of town, not the Disney area. Maybe a bad part of Kissimmee, but then you can throught the whole classy, safe criteria out the window.

Old 06-24-2009, 04:01 PM

986 posts, read 3,553,966 times
Thats right, you have seen them listed at that price, but if you check to see what they sold for it wont have been as low as that. What a property is listed for and what it sells for are 2 completely different things not to add the cost to cover any liens against the property or the cost to rennovate a property that has been through the foreclsoure process for well over a year and left with no AC and was probably abused as the owner felt their home was stolen from them.

Its time to start being realistic im afraid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by salmanalk View Post
unrealistic...I have seen some condos in winter garden (close to the fl turnpike) offered for $60k. However, the HOA is around $300 a month! so you will get it cheap now but it wont be cheap to maintain. WDW timeshare for example would set you back $60k for two summer weeks a year! I believe that you could get a good condo for around a $100k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando