Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 04:52 PM

141 posts, read 505,678 times

Advertisements

I know all of these are nice areas. But are there any major differences between them as far as "feel"? Location/commute isn't an issue for us since we work from home. We've seen Lake Mary and it's nice but didn't get a chance to look at Oviedo or Winter Springs much.

We are your standard basic family of four, stay-at-home mem, down to earth, pretty conservative, like gardening, the outdoors. Hoping to find a friendly neighborhood as we don't know anyone in the area! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2009, 07:23 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,711,002 times
The 'feel' is very different for all three places. You really should take the time and visit all three. We did and found what was the best fit for us. It will be different for everyone. Not only that, we found that Oviedo itself has a newer and older section, both with very different 'feel' to each section.

It is not something that can even be described, you really must go and see homes in various sections of each town you mentioned to get the idea. But yes, they are all very different, in my opinion.

Old 05-22-2009, 05:27 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,020,627 times
I don't live in any of those, so this is just my opinion as a casual observer...

Lake Mary is somewhat upscale and it seems like there is a lot of keeping up with the Jones' in some Lake Mary neighborhoods.

Oviedo is a bit more rural and is a mixture of older, established neighborhoods and new construction. You can get more for your dollar there than in Lake Mary with what I've seen. It seems to have some charm and sense of community.

Winter Springs is typical suburban, some of the homes are older, but there are lots of neighborhoods under 10 years old.

I agree with Parrotrosie, you jsut have to drive around each one and you'll feel the difference, but it's difficult to explain.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:05 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
I think Lake Mary is busier and has more of a mix of company headquarters, research and industrial parks, freeway interchanges, big box retail, but in the Heathrow area are the nicest areas in all three of the areas and the nicest homes north of Winter Park.

Oviedo is more rural and is a large area extending from cheaper areas by UCF, more dumpy areas near the downtown where there are chickens in the road and old shops and diners, etc. but the areas north of Mitchell Hammmock and extending toward Geneva or Chuluota get really nice and a lot of the newer homes are trending toward nicer and pricier.

I would have to say Winter Springs is probably my favorite of three, though they are all nice. Tuskawilla and Red Bug Lake are some of the busier thoroughfares that run through here. They are very nice and lined with a lot of big box retail and nice subdivisions. I really like the newer development around 434 and Tuskawilla with the new Pubix, etc. The area along Winter Springs Blvd is also very nice and tucked right behind a mall as well.

Oviedo and Winter Springs are a little less convenient to the city and downtown given distance, but since I-4 has a lot of traffic it will take you less time on the 417 to the 408 to downtown generally. However these are toll roads and they can get expensive too with daily use.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:13 AM

237 posts, read 1,059,125 times
I agree with the above posters. You really have to come and drive around to get a feel for the different areas you're considering.

But if you can give more information about what kinds of things you're looking for, we might be able to throw in a few more opinions. Do you like large neighborhoods or small? Do you intend to send your kids to public or private school? Is distance to the airport a factor at all? Any particular hobby(water,golf,etc.)? What kind of area are you relocating from? This would give us an idea what you may be used to. What kind of lot size are you looking for? Any specific things you want to avoid? If you have a price range in mind, people can even suggest neighborhoods to look at.

In general though, all 3 areas are nice. The feel is something that's more personal and other people's opinions can't replace an actual visit.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:35 AM

237 posts, read 1,059,125 times
Great assessment Wilshire! I think it's very accurate, but I have to admit I'm a bit biased towards Winter Springs as I've found my little corner of heaven right around Tuskawilla and 434. It was just an area that felt right for my family.

Ahhhh...thanks for bringing up the chickens. I think the chickens are one of the most charming things about Oviedo. I love driving through there.

Old 05-22-2009, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarboo View Post
Great assessment Wilshire! I think it's very accurate, but I have to admit I'm a bit biased towards Winter Springs as I've found my little corner of heaven right around Tuskawilla and 434. It was just an area that felt right for my family.

Ahhhh...thanks for bringing up the chickens. I think the chickens are one of the most charming things about Oviedo. I love driving through there.
I brought it up because it is a little Carribbean, third world, but hey at the same time it is a theme of sorts for Oviedo and it is kind of charming.
I definitely like Winter Springs the most. Lake Mary is cool, I just wish they had a better restaurant selection. I would like to see it become more of a rival to Restaurant Row or Park Ave. I think it possibly beats out or ties downtown or College Park, but I think Winter Park and Dr Phillips are the foodie areas of town.

Old 05-22-2009, 07:11 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarboo View Post

I think all three have their nice areas. I like the Lake Mary area where I live just because of all the conveniences and proximity to I-4. (not that we ever use it)I do have to agree that it's keep up with the Jones' in some of the Lake Mary neighborhoods. We live right on the border of Lake Mary and this neighborhood does not feel that way.

Winter Springs is very nice in the Tuscawilla area. They have a newer town square that has businesses popping up and it holds events.

I don't know a great deal about Oviedo. The downtown has chickens running around (LOL) and a very good diner to eat at. To me, I think it's a little more "out" there but it sure has some nice subdivisions.

Last edited by beckycat; 05-22-2009 at 07:40 AM..

Old 05-22-2009, 09:02 AM

141 posts, read 505,678 times
Thanks for the input. We'll be visiting again soon, just trying to get an idea. We are relocating from Washington State, we live in the suburbs. We like a quieter neighborhood although not TOO quiet - we do have kids. We keep our yard nice but don't want an overly restrictive HOA. We don't want to be on top of any busy roads. My husband golfs although we don't want a golf-centric community. We like biking, swimming, canoeing. We're pretty outdoorsy but only in the summertime up here! For now we're doing public schools as long as they are good. I like the part about the chickens!

Old 05-22-2009, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ang08 View Post
Thanks for the input. We'll be visiting again soon, just trying to get an idea. We are relocating from Washington State, we live in the suburbs. We like a quieter neighborhood although not TOO quiet - we do have kids. We keep our yard nice but don't want an overly restrictive HOA. We don't want to be on top of any busy roads. My husband golfs although we don't want a golf-centric community. We like biking, swimming, canoeing. We're pretty outdoorsy but only in the summertime up here! For now we're doing public schools as long as they are good. I like the part about the chickens!
I moved from Washington State almost 4 years ago! I enjoy Florida a lot more, but it is vastly different! Congratulations on your move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando