Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 09:01 PM

11 posts, read 32,764 times

Advertisements

I've been doing a bit of research about the 'gang' problem in Davenport. But I only found reference to it here (haven't been able to find it in the news). Since it was talked about in 2007 and with our present economic situation plus the raids by immigration, since it was said that the gang problem was immigrant related, I was wondering if things have changed for the better in Davenport and surrounding areas???

Please help, I don't want to make the biggest mistake of my life by buying a home in the wrong place. Prices are great there in comparison with Clermont, Tampa, Celebration and other places I wish I could afford in a great, tranquil, nonviolent neighborhood. I'm from PA and tired of the snow, but I'm terrified of M13 and those kinds of gangs (or any other for that matter).

I'll be going to Fla. soon to take a look around and your advise would help me identify problem spots quickly. Thanks so much in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 03:51 AM

29 posts, read 82,221 times
I guess you got the idea. Seems people are too afraid to comment on gangs.
Lol.

Old 07-21-2009, 07:41 AM

3,043 posts, read 7,717,992 times
I thought Davenport was predominately people from the UK?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:44 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,090,427 times
I wouldn't buy in Davenport. Many of the communities have been ravaged by foreclosures, lots of absentee owners in many others. Schools are abysmal (might not matter if you don't have kids but will kill you on potential resale).

And yes, gang related crimes continue to be a problem. Also with so many communities half empty, the opportunities have been great for burglaries.

There are so many other more desirable communities, that would not be my first choice.

Old 07-21-2009, 01:27 PM

986 posts, read 3,553,105 times
The Davenport area is alot cheaper than other areas you mention, but although with the current market hitting the bottom and people being able to buy homes at much lower prices than in the peak, the old addage you get what you pay for still applies. Homes in the Davenport area are significantly lower for many of the reasons mentioned.

Alot of the communities are short term rental communities and so not rented much. This does attract an element of crime as there are empty homes, but also where there are tourists with cash on them the unsavoury element will follow. Also, Davenport with the exception of one gated golf community i can think of isnt a great area. For tourists who want to purchase a vacation home which is conveniently located to Disney it offers alot. Otherwise not so much. With many communities being in disrepair, HOA's in financial trouble or just not doing what they should be doing may mean that you may get a great deal now, but you will never get your money back when it comes time to sell, also you may regret your mistake shortly after moving in.

you cannot compare Davenport with the Likes of Celebration as they are Chalk and Cheese. Homes in Celebration realistically speaking are over priced because it is the town Disney built. Taxes are alot higher, but it offers a lifestyle, a feeling of community. Can you get that else where for alot less? of course.

Old 07-21-2009, 06:59 PM

126 posts, read 571,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
Davenport with the exception of one gated golf community i can think of isnt a great area.
I was about to disagree with all the negative comments as I live in Davenport and would highly recommend our neighborhood. Then I saw your above comment and hope you're referring to where I live.....Providence?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:18 PM

986 posts, read 3,553,105 times
LOL yes i was actually referring to both Providence and to a lesser extent Reunion, however those neighbourhoods are the exception not the rule in Davenport. Also as a resident of that community you will also know you will not find homes in the price range Davenport offers in those neighbourhoods. As i said, you get what you pay for and im sure you will also agree Davenport is not a great area. Providence is more out of the way and a gated community.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marypoppins View Post
I was about to disagree with all the negative comments as I live in Davenport and would highly recommend our neighborhood. Then I saw your above comment and hope you're referring to where I live.....Providence?

Old 07-21-2009, 07:28 PM

126 posts, read 571,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfIfan View Post
Also as a resident of that community you will also know you will not find homes in the price range Davenport offers in those neighbourhoods. As i said, you get what you pay for and im sure you will also agree Davenport is not a great area. Providence is more out of the way and a gated community.

You're absolutely correct Once I drive through the gates, I could be a million miles away from the areas previously described.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:45 AM

291 posts, read 1,204,723 times
You have to keep in mind that Davenport extends to the border of Lake County ~ Clermont. You can be in "Davenport" and be 20 minutes from Davenport and 3 minutes from "Clermont" , which is really about 15 minutes to Clermont.
That are, called Four Corners but labeled by the USPS as Davenport is actually a nice area ~ full of tourists but not overly crowded it is a nice, safe area and near 192 W for convenient access to WDW.

Old 07-23-2009, 07:47 AM

291 posts, read 1,204,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauve View Post
I thought Davenport was predominately people from the UK?

In the area of Four Corners, just a couple of miles from the Lake County border there are lots of visitors from the UK.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando