Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 11:34 AM

1,284 posts, read 3,896,512 times

Advertisements

Can someone tell me what they think about Poinciana,positives and negatives about the area.I visited the area and saw some areas that looked better than others,but I just want an overall impression of what people think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2009, 11:54 AM

14 posts, read 89,014 times
The area used to be nice, but is fast becoming a "ghetto". If it continues it's negative trend, the paranthesis from "ghetto" will come off.
There is gang activity which had eventually been minor, but it seems that popularity of that is making it more pronounced. If you have kids, you really don't want them to be around the type of people there.

Old 03-05-2009, 12:09 PM

10 posts, read 33,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam.Morgan View Post
The area used to be nice, but is fast becoming a "ghetto". If it continues it's negative trend, the paranthesis from "ghetto" will come off.
There is gang activity which had eventually been minor, but it seems that popularity of that is making it more pronounced. If you have kids, you really don't want them to be around the type of people there.
I have lived in Poinciana since 2004, have never been a victim of a crime, don't know anyone in a gang and live in a quiet ,safe neighborhood.
So...What section of Poinciana did you say you live in???????

Old 03-05-2009, 01:50 PM

14 posts, read 89,014 times
By Marygold, near the "new" walgreens, but have moved out since the area started to deteriorate. Miamiboy, if you took those shades off, it may help you see your environment a little better ;-))).

A friend bought his house for $230k in 2006 and he has tried to short sell @ $120 and no one is looking @ it. However, a house in the same subdivision sold 2 weeks back for $98k. That was a nice subdivision and it's such a shame to see it go down hill.

It's the people that make up the area. Have you been to Oviedo or Lake Mary; it's another world. I think you would like it there. Swing by sometime. Btw, no offence, but I am just stating the facts about Poinciana.

Old 03-05-2009, 01:59 PM

77 posts, read 288,008 times
It's too far from everything to really enjoy living there. There is no good way in or out, traffic is horrendous during rush hour.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:19 PM

1 posts, read 4,517 times
I have been living in Tamarind Parke Lane in the Cypress Woods Subdivision since 2002 and I must emphasis that this community is just what I needed as an ex-New Yorker.
The cleanliness, peacefulness, quietness, the civil and friendly neighbours are all qualities that we
all want.
All the business about gangs, ghetto and crime are foreign to me.
I am a retiree. So, I am at home all the time. Therefore, I am qualified to give my two cents about
Tamarind Parke.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:55 AM

1,594 posts, read 5,282,141 times
I think crime in Poinciana is extremely exaggerated. I am there a few times a week and the only thing that makes me recommend against it is the roads. Like others have said it can get very congested and commutes can be extremely long.

Old 04-02-2009, 06:35 AM

1 posts, read 4,439 times
Omteresting to read the diversified opinions. I think it really depends on our perspectives. I have been a Real Estate broker selling in Poinciana for 15 years. It's gone form a population of 7,000 to 75,000 during this time. It has changed.

It went from a quiet retirement community to a booming very diverisfied community.

There is crime but I'm not sure it's higher than other areas of similar size and demographics.

If I were looking to purchase here I would check with the police department and get the facts about crime.

Last edited by cmj_fla; 04-02-2009 at 11:57 AM.. Reason: no links before 10th post

Old 04-02-2009, 06:40 AM

482 posts, read 2,418,184 times
The crime in that area is "growing" at a faster rate than any other area in Osceola County. Just a few days ago, a teenager was gun down outside a home there where folks were celebrating a family event. From what I understand, the teen was not a gang member and just happened to be the target of a shooter who was a gang member.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:01 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,038,899 times
Regardless of any "statistics" the area doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy. Too many foreclosures and empty neighborhoods because 80% of the homes are owned as vacation villas make the area an easy target for burglaries.

There is definitely a rising problem with gang related crime.

With only one road in and out to serve the 75K population, traffic is horrendous.

From the majority of commuities in Poinciana, even running out for a gallon of milk can become a 30 minute adventure. There are few stores and restaurants within what I consider a reasonable drive.

I personally feel that the majority of the communities aren't well lit at night, which again leads to a feeling of vulnerability to crime.

There is a very, very high foreclosure rate in the area, which is leading to a lot of properties not being cared for and many HOA's are becoming dangerously underfunded due to the high rates of default on dues.

I'm sure there are a few nicer neighbrhoods in the Poinciana area, but the traffic problems alone would be enough to make me look elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando