Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 11:06 AM

7 posts, read 20,695 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking to relocate in the area of US 17/92 and Orlando blvd. I see on a demographics website that its high crime in this small area but everything around it is very low crime(I'm confused). can this be possible? everyone told me winter springs is nice The place is right beside winter springs golf course. I'm signing a 3 month lease shortly but I don't want to end up in the ghetto because I'm coming down to florida site unseen. Please someone give me an advice. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2009, 01:07 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouslemon View Post
Hi, I'm looking to relocate in the area of US 17/92 and Orlando blvd. I see on a demographics website that its high crime in this small area but everything around it is very low crime(I'm confused). can this be possible? everyone told me winter springs is nice The place is right beside winter springs golf course. I'm signing a 3 month lease shortly but I don't want to end up in the ghetto because I'm coming down to florida site unseen. Please someone give me an advice. Thanks
It depends where you are in Winter Springs. Yeah, some areas are a little ghetto. If you're going to be right off 17/92 and 434, some areas are a little shady. May I ask why you chose that area? Is it b/c low rent or the bus line or what. I maybe able to direct you in a more desirable direction with a short lease.

Old 02-25-2009, 01:16 PM

7 posts, read 20,695 times
Actually I was looking for apartments that allowed pets and had short term leases. I have a 65 husky dog and It seems to be a problem with alot of apts. I found one on the corner of 17/92 and 434(park at laurel oak)but the demographics are shockingly crime ridden(is this true?). I found another place farther south(newport colony) down on 17/92 near redbug rd? maybe this is a better area? I don't know. My wife and I need ashort term rents because we are going to Orlando without employment lined up and I want to make sure our commutes are feasable. please any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Old 02-25-2009, 01:26 PM

77 posts, read 287,941 times
well there was some magazine that actually ranked winter springs as a top place to live a few years ago so it can't be that bad.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Actually I was looking for apartments that allowed pets and had short term leases. I have a 65 husky dog and It seems to be a problem with alot of apts. I found one on the corner of 17/92 and 434(park at laurel oak)but the demographics are shockingly crime ridden(is this true?). I found another place farther south(newport colony) down on 17/92 near redbug rd? maybe this is a better area? I don't know. My wife and I need ashort term rents because we are going to Orlando without employment lined up and I want to make sure our commutes are feasable. please any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Definately check Craigslist! There are several condos on a month to month lease in Lake Mary. Even if they don't list it, do not be afraid to approach the landlord with a short term lease. Heck, I just found one for my daughter at $600/month with water included. Lake Mary is very nice with low crime. The ppl are desperate to rent too, so you could definately talk them down as I did. If you need more help, let me know.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:38 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
Quote:
The crime may be higher if you are close to the major thoroughfare or intersection, but in general this area is nice and has low crime. The worst areas close to there are in Casselberry around Fern Park and the older areas of Sanford, but I do not think it is anything to be too concerned about. These areas are nothing like the bad parts of Pine Hills or Union Park.

Old 02-26-2009, 03:46 PM

1 posts, read 3,467 times
I don't mean to sound mean but you should really come down and look around first. That area is all prostitiutes and florida crackers(ie one of the worst areas) The apt's along that stretch you speak of are not to be desired. You will have problems with thugs and break-ins. You guys should be giving this person real advice! The east side of winter springs/west part of longwood is crime infested. It is pure ghetto and everyone here knows it. Sorry, Lived here for 13 years so I know what I'm talking about .. see ya

Old 02-26-2009, 06:47 PM

237 posts, read 1,059,125 times
Quote:
The east side of winter springs/west part of longwood is crime infested. It is pure ghetto and everyone here knows it. Sorry, Lived here for 13 years so I know what I'm talking about .. see ya
OK, so the East side of Winter Springs is bad, but what about the West side, by Winter Springs High School and Centeral Winds Park? Is it safe over there? What are the chances of it becoming bad in the future. I'm looking at a home in that area.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:27 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,145,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigarboo View Post
OK, so the East side of Winter Springs is bad, but what about the West side, by Winter Springs High School and Centeral Winds Park? Is it safe over there? What are the chances of it becoming bad in the future. I'm looking at a home in that area.
I think that person made a typo. The east side of Longwood and the west side of Winter Springs. These are the older parts of town, but I am not aware of major problems in the area. I could see that there would be more problems here than the areas of Longwood closer to and west of I-4 and the Tuscawilla area of Winter Springs, but it is not Pine Hills. It may be significantly worse though. People like to argue about it, but I like to look at statistics a lot too and trust them and like the other poster said, you should definitely have a look for yourself.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I think that person made a typo. The east side of Longwood and the west side of Winter Springs. These are the older parts of town, but I am not aware of major problems in the area. I could see that there would be more problems here than the areas of Longwood closer to and west of I-4 and the Tuscawilla area of Winter Springs, but it is not Pine Hills. It may be significantly worse though. People like to argue about it, but I like to look at statistics a lot too and trust them and like the other poster said, you should definitely have a look for yourself.
When I go to those areas, I DO NOT feel unsafe at all. It's just a lower class of ppl that lives there. (no offense to anybody) There is some rif-raf and some drugs there. It's a little run down also. But all in all, it comes down to where you'd like to live. I'd prefer not to live there. There are more desirable areas then the 17/92 area. Otherwise, there are very nice areas of Longwood and Winter Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando