Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 07:21 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times

Advertisements

There are many great builders in town. I would suggest other parts of town for a home of that size, Oviedo, Windermere, Lake Mary.
Ken Anderson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2008, 06:08 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
In response to Suzie's comment about Insurance. if you own a home you may want to see this. Go Direct Insurance, Inc they are working on saving home owners 25% off their home owners policy. go register on the site and tell your friends.

Old 06-29-2008, 05:52 PM

3 posts, read 12,776 times
Default Moving

I am researching areas to relocate.I have 2 boys, ages 13 and 16.I am looking to be near water and warmer weather.We live near Chicago at the present time.Some of the states i am looking into are, Texas,Tennessee,Florida.Any help would be greatly appreciated!!Thank you..

Old 06-30-2008, 07:17 AM

112 posts, read 404,881 times
Default No Place LIke Home

I personally love CHICAGO. I don't know why you wish to move (except for the long months of cold) but none of these places you are considering will offer you more of a quality of life than where you are.

Florida used to be such a great place to live. Now it is on it's way to being as screwed up as California. I have lived in all parts and spent most of my life in the Tampa Bay area so I know from where I speak.

I am from Tennessee originally. The state is beautiful and abounds with nature but has inferior education systems and no jobs. The Chattanooga area is paradise but the old money there runs off companies like Toyota that could bring employment and prosperity for people who want to live there. The current plan is grooming it like a retirement and tourist park....nothing in that place is done to benefit locals. if I HAD money, it would be my choice because I could fairly ignore all of that like all the others with money and power do.

Regretfully, I recommend HOUSTON TEXAS as the place for you. It is where my wife and I moved to from Tennessee. It was the only place we could find work and is why most everyone is here. It sure isn't for the natural beauty!

BUT the sun shines as much as Florida. People say they love the weather although it is the closest thing to living in an oven that you'll ever get (and I have lived in Arizona too) BUT housing is cheap and (many) schools are superior.

My wife left Tennessee when she was 20 and drove to Houston. She had no money and no job. She stayed here 22 years and raised three kids, all of whom live here and have kids now. She credits Houston with saving her life.

There is big money in Houston and lots of culture on which to ween kids. My daughter in law is a teacher. Her husband is a principal and each of their three girls are involved in inter-cultural, art programs, and athletics at a level that takes them all over the states competitively.

Housing is cheap and plentiful here and the beaches are right down the road in Galveston.

In the screwed up economy that we have in America right now, HOUSTON is a highly desirable place to be . Good luck

Old 07-01-2008, 08:15 AM

8,176 posts, read 18,537,395 times
1st of all Florida is a very diverse state. Not all areas are the same. You'll find major differences between the large cities and even more differences between the smaller towns.
We could help you more if you could narrow it down. What's important to you...access to the beach? Inland living?
What are your interests outside of work?
Is urban nightlife important?

Old 07-03-2008, 12:32 AM

64 posts, read 202,332 times
If schools are your priority, take a look at the cities in Seminole County. The county's school system has received straight A's since Florida strarted Keeping track of FCAT results. This is why my wife & I moved to Seminole County 11 years ago. It is also why I teach and coach basketball here. Also Lake Mary finished #4 in Money Magazine's Best Places to Live. Winter Springs finished #31. If you have any other questions about the schools or other issues, feel free to contact me.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:55 PM

60 posts, read 149,762 times
Davenport is a tourist place to live, alot of rentals... Where are you looking to buy? Winter Garden, Clermont, Heathrow, are some nice places well under that budget. All depends where you want to live near.

Old 07-06-2008, 04:23 PM

95 posts, read 355,929 times
Default Move to Florida Gulf Coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmiles35 View Post
there is no such place in florida anymore,i lived in central florida all my life.it was good in the 70's and 80's.but now you could not pay me to live there .good luck
FYI - central florida sucks .. you should try looking at a place in or around the gulf coast. Thats what i call living.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:04 PM

1,336 posts, read 4,965,981 times
moving to florida will be career suicide and horrifying for your children.

Old 07-06-2008, 06:56 PM

765 posts, read 2,638,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSnFla View Post
moving to florida will be career suicide and horrifying for your children.
This post is a little extreme, but I would say you should definately have a job secured before you move down here.

I made the mistake of moving down here without having a job first and I have literally hit a wall in my career. The longer I stay out of work in my field (human resources), the harder it is becoming to get back into my field. On the plus side, I have been using that time to go to school full time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando