Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2007, 07:17 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times

Advertisements

i have heard all about downtown orlando, and all the wanna be model males walking around with their abercrombie and fitch outfits... but i wanna know if it's safe? i know which parts of orlando to avoid, and just curious if downtown is one of them... not during the day. but at night...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 01:27 PM

34 posts, read 133,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla View Post
i have heard all about downtown orlando, and all the wanna be model males walking around with their abercrombie and fitch outfits... but i wanna know if it's safe? i know which parts of orlando to avoid, and just curious if downtown is one of them... not during the day. but at night...
Agree with MikeB above, focus this type of question in the Orlando forum. But while I am here I can say from experience that downtown Orlando is like any other city, some good and some bad. The former Church Street area with all the clubs and bars is relatively safe with the only real issues coming from drunk bar patrons (tons of them). Gotta remember that there is a major university not too far from downtown as well as several smaller colleges along with a very active population and tourists. That amounts to a lot of people wanting to have a good time. Also, the Police while earnest in their desire to do a good job, and for the most part they do, can be a little aggressive at times.

As for the wanna be male models, LOL, yeap that is partially true. Quite frankly it can entertaining watching these guys try to out do each other while others stand around and make fun of them. Shallow on the outside means shallow on the inside, just ignore them.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:33 PM

19 posts, read 85,807 times
It's fine, lovely in fact. We live here and take walks at night around Lake Davis and Lake Eola.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:23 PM

442 posts, read 1,578,233 times
You would have to drive around and make judgement for yourself. Downtown is Downtown, no matter where in the USA. Every downtown has it's good parts that get heavily trafficked by the general public, but then there are avenues that will take you around the corner to the part of town you don't want to be.
If you're looking to move..I would recommend the Thorton Park area. It's not IN downtown Orlando, but it's very close to it, more upscale (considering the general area), and probably a little safer.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:38 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
It is nice, but i guess if you were the one person in the year that got mugged then your perception may be different. Crime can happen anywhere any time. Be prudent and you will likely avoid issues.

Old 10-15-2008, 09:08 PM

58 posts, read 182,466 times
Once again, I will repeat my General Unspoken Downtown Orlando Rule:

Once you passed west under I-4, you have now reached "the hood". Please proceed cautiously, ESPECIALLY around Parramore Ave. and Orange Blossom Trail.

Orlando's hood is pretty much in the following zone: south of Amelia St., west of I-4 OR Division Ave. OR Parramore Ave., and stops just north of Sand Lake Rd. I'm not too sure about it's western boundary. Although all of this area is not residential, it can be dangerous. Although now, cops DEFINITELY do not play games on Orange Blossom Trail. This is the west and southwestern side of town. However, other dangerous areas include Pine Hills and other areas east of Ocoee and Windermere at about midtown west.

If you're talking about the business district of downtown Orlando where all the tall buildings and nightclubs are, that area is actually pretty safe. It's patrolled by cops regularly and I've actually felt comfortable spending the night outside when I've been stuck downtown (Orlando has a HORRIBLE bus system and my car no longer works). There are a few homeless people in south downtown, but not really a threat. They just have no place to live. In the business district, at nights on the weekends, the cops mean business. They do have a presence to take care of club-drunks and fights. Still, even during the week they regularly patrol the Orange Ave. area.

I think crime is a bit overrated in Orlando. Floridians, particularly Orlando residents and suburbanites may just not be used to being around it. What has simply happened is the city has grown much faster than the police force and budget could keep up with. And now, adding to that are tough economic times combined with the relatively low pay of several Florida jobs.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:10 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,046,770 times
I think downtown at night is fine. The only thing I agree about are dealing with drunk ppl coming from the clubs.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:56 PM

23 posts, read 117,383 times
Like Nigerian said, as long as you don't venture west of I-4 (which actually runs North - South through downtown (go figure)) you should be okay. But there really isn't any reason to be on that side anyway if you are going bar/club hopping.

There are cops everywhere, the area is pretty well lit so as long as you don't venture too far from Orange, it's safe.

Old 10-17-2008, 09:23 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando Nigerian View Post
Once again, I will repeat my General Unspoken Downtown Orlando Rule:

Once you passed west under I-4, you have now reached "the hood". Please proceed cautiously, ESPECIALLY around Parramore Ave. and Orange Blossom Trail.
Great advice I would suggest anyone to listen to!

Other than that, I work on the other side of I-4 downtown. I often work until 9 pm and have to walk to the parking lot across the road where I park my car. I have never felt unsafe as a female walking alone. The same rules of caution apply downtown Orlando as anywhere else, but it certainly isn't riddled with crime or anything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: