Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2009, 10:04 AM

12 posts, read 39,024 times

Advertisements

Hello! My husband and I have decided to move to Florida and are trying to figure out which area would be the best match for our family. We have two children ages 7 and 3. I am very overwhelmed with trying to figure out how the school districts work as it seems like in each town there are quite a few schools a child can go to depending on where they live.
This is all very new to us as we live in a small town where there is only one elementary, middle school, and high school.
We have started to do some research, and are considering either Oviedo or Longwood. Can anyone please give me their opinions on each of these places regarding the towns and schools. It looks like Longwood is a smaller community which is more like we would prefer, but how are the schools in the area? Which ones are the best, and are there any that we should avoid? Same question for Oviedo too. Also, how is it determined which school a child will go to?
If anyone could give me any information regarding these two areas I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!

One more thing....Are the schools in Florida year round?

Last edited by Kmarie29; 02-08-2009 at 10:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2009, 12:19 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,712,114 times
Hi Kmarie! I found this main site for Seminole County schools where you need to plug in an actual address to get the school you would attend, there are also maps you can pull up to give you general areas

Welcome to Seminole County Public Schools

then go here for the maps

Welcome to Seminole County Public Schools

I am looking from PA and finding it a bit confusing as well. We signed up for this service...

Neghborhoodscout.com and we look up our local schools and then look up schools in Fl to be able to compare what we know to what we don't know.

I have tried to use Greatschools.com but, I don't know how much confidence I have in their assessments..they do have reviews from parents and students on line tho, so those can prove useful.

Use the FCAT scores as a data point as well, is it an A rated or B rated school, etc, and culling all this info, you can make a decision. It's difficult, I know...lol

There are also tons of private schools to choose from as well. Good luck in your search! I don't want to give you my opinions because, well, we haven't actually moved and I don't have first hand knowledge, only what I think I have figured out, so I will defer questions to those who actually live there!

Old 02-08-2009, 08:11 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,148,439 times
Both are great options with good schools and low crime. You said Longwood seems smaller, but I think Oviedo tends to feel smaller and more isolated than Longwood since Longwood is along the I-4 corridor. Lake Mary and Altamonte are both pretty busy areas too which are on either side of Longwood.
Longwood has more older established areas with large trees, but they both have new and old. I personally like Longwood more myself, but both are great areas and there is nothing wrong with Oviedo.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:38 AM

307 posts, read 2,106,681 times
Oviedo and Longwood are both wonderful areas to live, along with Lake Mary as well. Each town is different, and has it's very own feel to it. Usually it is nice to spend time touring each city, and getting the feel for each one. I live next door to Longwood, I have been here in Lake Mary for 13 years. I love the location, community, and have had positive experiences with the schools here as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: