Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 7,754 times

Advertisements

I used to live in the 'Oh-lando' area until 2004 when I lost my property during Charlie. After looking at some data and visiting in the beg of Feb, I am kinda glad it worked out this way.

When I came down to visit my mom (who still lives in Lake Mary) and I was very concerned about crime. The streets are more dangerous than they used to, aren't they? I saw a lot of vagrants and suspicious types.

Oh another thing - Construction on every street, but it looked like none of those construction areas were about to be completed. Do they just start jobs without finishing the old ones and then you have a construction site on every streetcorner? Or is it just my impression?

I did some research on City-Data and learned you are more likely to become a crime victim in Orlando than in much bigger cities, like MIami, NYC, Philly, or even Detroit! I mean for gosh sakes Detroit is awful, how can Orlando have just as much crime?

Has Orlando become the Gaza Strip?? My mom says Orlando has gotten a lot worse, but how can it have gotten even worse in just under 2 years?

Why is Kissimmee so dangerous? I thought Kissimmee was not that big! I am glad I now live in Cincinnati. Yeah, winter is bad, but I live better, spend less, and worry less.

I would appreciate an explanation from locals... why is this city so violent? Not that it was safe in 2004 - but it was safer back then. How could Orlando ever pass Miami.. I always thought Miami was much worse than Orlando. What's happened?

Data from the City-Data website:

Last edited by GoingToCO2007; 03-02-2007 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 02:16 PM

99 posts, read 553,576 times
I'd say that the perception of high crime is due to:

1) Hype by media that creates sensationalism and hyper-sensitivism
2) Population growth that brings new sets of people and opportunities
3) City/County planners that are too slow to respond to rapid changes
4) Socio-Economic disparity- Economically challenged families are being displaced to make way to gated communities with expensive homes. Increase in cost-of-living forces many to either leave or suffer the consequences. Criminally inclined minds commit more crimes.

Two paths for Orlando:

Path A) Criminals control the city creating a divide. Drugs keep flowing into the city, government officials can't control the streets, courts still release the bad guys, gated communities become fortresses, and citizens arm themselves. Orlando becomes "Gotham City". Will need Batman.

Path B) Government controls the city. Crime is controlled creating optimal living conditions attracting even more people. Costs go up. Those who can't afford must leave. Orlando becomes a top destination for tourism, business and transplants at the cost of the lower and middle classes.

Old 03-02-2007, 02:25 PM

467 posts, read 1,691,297 times
guess who is back?

Old 03-02-2007, 02:45 PM

107 posts, read 387,809 times
think path B sounds good to me , let all the criminals go somewhere else like back to new orleans . have you seen when the crime started to get real bad right affter everyone was moved from new orleans across the u s a it is not just orlandos crime rate that has risen its every where

Old 03-02-2007, 02:48 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,188,410 times
The stats clearly show that there is about 10 times more murders in LA than Orlando.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:35 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,290,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prichard View Post
The stats clearly show that there is about 10 times more murders in LA than Orlando.
About 10 times the population as well...

Old 03-21-2007, 08:32 PM

48 posts, read 262,620 times
"I'd say that the perception of high crime is due to:

1) Hype by media that creates sensationalism and hyper-sensitivism
2) Population growth that brings new sets of people and opportunities
3) City/County planners that are too slow to respond to rapid changes
4) Socio-Economic disparity- Economically challenged families are being displaced to make way to gated communities with expensive homes. Increase in cost-of-living forces many to either leave or suffer the consequences. Criminally inclined minds commit more crimes."

^^
^^
^^
^^
^^

This is well said.

Old 03-22-2007, 09:48 AM

631 posts, read 2,450,700 times
Well, Altamonte was relatively safe..... things starting to spread there too now.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...home-headlines

Old 03-24-2007, 01:02 PM

170 posts, read 571,052 times
I was told that the murder rate in Orlando is surpassing that of LA. Its murder rate has increased the most out of the whole US. Scary...

Old 03-25-2007, 07:58 PM

166 posts, read 986,290 times
I like Orlando. There are many different parts to Orlando. Just find an area you feel comfortable with. It's really a lot of fun up there.

I did notice an abormal amount of Satanic worship when I was up there, but I wouldn't really let that get in your way of moving there. I love going to Orlando!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando