Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 12:14 PM

291 posts, read 1,208,329 times

Advertisements

We're moving to the Orlando area in 20 days and are very excited! We know all about the problems and yes, chose to move there anyway. We aren't moving to Orlando for a job or anything else but to just have fun and enjoy Florida and the theme parks.
I would love to hear some positive things from others who are moving to Orlando and the area or from people who live there and enjoy it.

PLEASE don't post your bad opinions about Orlando ~ or why we SHOULDN'T come to the area! I want this to be a positive thread for us excited about moving/being in Orlando Where we talk about the GOOD things, because there are good things buried under the bad
There are plenty of other threads going you can complain on

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 01:02 PM

910 posts, read 2,350,654 times
Ok, I'll be fair about this, I am one who lives in Orlando and has been critical of it. I will discuss some positive aspects of it. Depending on how old your kids are, it's great the Disney, Universal, Sea World and other theme parks are in your back yard. You need to take advantage of the FL resident discounts or the annual passes (they're worth it, even though it seems very expensive, it pays for itself after only 3-4 visits). However, after a while, that does get old (in a couple years) as with anything else, despite wherever you live.

The other good thing about living in Orlando, or in FL, is not in Orlando itself but the accessibility to cruise ports, as I think cruising is one of the best vacation bangs for the the buck.

Because of the diversity of the population and restaurants, there is a great variety of places to eat.

My family was never really the outdoorsy type, but if you like fishing, boating, and the beaches, then Florida is the place to live. There's plenty to do with the lakes and the oceans available, just don't do any water skiing in Lake Jessup (inside joke you'll understand).

Other than that, I still recommend you visit the other threads, such as the one below, and look and both the positive and negative side of things so you can make an informed decision, just don't go into it because you want the positives to outweigh the negatives. Otherwise, you'll just have to live through it and see for yourself.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/6429207-post1.html

Good luck.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:20 PM

I have been reading all the threads, good and bad for the past month or more. I just wanted to see a fun, positive thread, because like I said, there are good things about Orlando

I'm not trying to make the positives outweigh the negatives, like I said in my op I'm just dealing with the negatives to be able to enjoy Fl. for a year or two.

Thanks for the tips on the annual passes at the parks ~ I am going to do that for sure!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:25 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,186,514 times
I think you need to hear both sides, but more than others on this forum I absolutely love Florida and Orlando as well. Everytime my friends or family come they are very impressed and how clean and nice Orlando is and by how much there is to do within the city and metro and just outside the city to within a few hours drive.

I love the climate, the summer storms, and the pleasantly cool winters. I love the assortment of trees and wildlife that are present as well as the several lakes and bodies of water "sprinkled" throughout the area. I like the entertainment options throughout Lake Buena Vista, on International Drive, and throughout the several theme parks. I like the new urbanist developments in Avalon Park, Celebration, Baldwin Park, and Lake Nona. I like the great outlet malls that you can take advantage of and the impressive malls (the big two are the Florida Mall and the posh Mall at Millenia). I like the older quaint neighborhoods in the downtown core (Thornton Park, College Park, Delaney Park, Colonialtown, Lake Como, Winter Park, etc.) with brick paved streets and overhanging oak and willow trees with the spanish moss. I like the adjacent beaches in Clearwater and the easy access to everything Tampa and South Florida have to offer. I love all the great places to eat and the variety of ethnic cuisines represented. I really think the area has a lot to offer and is very unique, which is part of why some people do not like it. Where else do you get to see a shuttle launch from your back yard, or cranes cross the street in front of you on your way to work? Where else can you swim in months you would not even consider in colder climates, and you are seconds away from attractions that people have to vacation to see and you can truly treat yourself 24/7/365? Orlando has its problems and struggles but I think there are more than enough redeeming qualities and reasons to move here and enjoy what it has to offer.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I think you need to hear both sides, but more than others on this forum I absolutely love Florida and Orlando as well. Everytime my friends or family come they are very impressed and how clean and nice Orlando is and by how much there is to do within the city and metro and just outside the city to within a few hours drive.
Like I said before, I have heard both sides ~ I have researched my butt off for months!!! Believe me ~ I'm a planner and researcher!

Anyway, when I said I didn't want negitive opinions posted I didn't mean I didn't want to hear bad things about Orlando, I just already know them and I chose not to let it stop me, lol.

Old 12-15-2008, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilshire81182 View Post
I love the climate, the summer storms, and the pleasantly cool winters. I love the assortment of trees and wildlife that are present as well as the several lakes and bodies of water "sprinkled" throughout the area. I like the entertainment options throughout Lake Buena Vista, on International Drive, and throughout the several theme parks. I like the new urbanist developments in Avalon Park, Celebration, Baldwin Park, and Lake Nona. I like the great outlet malls that you can take advantage of and the impressive malls (the big two are the Florida Mall and the posh Mall at Millenia). I like the older quaint neighborhoods in the downtown core (Thornton Park, College Park, Delaney Park, Colonialtown, Lake Como, Winter Park, etc.) with brick paved streets and overhanging oak and willow trees with the spanish moss. I like the adjacent beaches in Clearwater and the easy access to everything Tampa and South Florida have to offer. I love all the great places to eat and the variety of ethnic cuisines represented. I really think the area has a lot to offer and is very unique, which is part of why some people do not like it. Where else do you get to see a shuttle launch from your back yard, or cranes cross the street in front of you on your way to work? Where else can you swim in months you would not even consider in colder climates, and you are seconds away from attractions that people have to vacation to see and you can truly treat yourself 24/7/365? Orlando has its problems and struggles but I think there are more than enough redeeming qualities and reasons to move here and enjoy what it has to offer.
That's what I'm talking about I can't wait for us all to experience all the things you've mentioned ~ that's why we're moving to the Orlando area. I'm sure we won't be staying more than 2 years as I personally don't want to live in Florida if that makes any sense. I do for a couple of years to enjoy it , but not for long term. The crime is too bad and the weather is not for me. Too hot!!!

Anyway, thanks for posting. There is a lot of fun stuff to do , esp. for the kids. I've spent over $20,000 visiting Orlando since 2003 so I'm just going to live here a couple of years and soak it all in instead of visiting every year

As for being near cruise ports as another poster said ~ that's one thing I'm really excited about! We love to cruise!!!

Old 12-15-2008, 01:50 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,186,514 times
I know what you mean. If I knew about this site before I had moved here, I would probably have let the negativity influence my move and then I would have totally felt robbed if I did. I do really enjoy it here and I hope you do too!

Old 12-15-2008, 02:24 PM

12,638 posts, read 32,316,836 times
I have lived here for 9 years and like it. Everything in conveniently located. The weather is nice about 7 months out of the year. We have beaches, springs, theme parks, shopping, and endless entertainment.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:41 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,404,899 times
It's great being able to relax next to your PRIVATE pool. When you hear about snow storms up North, you laugh about it with your neighbors as you're washing your car in your boardies/bikini. Everywhere you look it's green 365 days a year. If you get bored one night, you can drive 10 minutes to Epcot Center and have a nice German, Mexican, French etc restaurant while watching a multi-million dollar firework production show. Sea World also has some great shows and FREE beer tasting. You have many outlet malls and shopping centers to choose from. You have numerous organic grocery stores with plenty of free parking. If you want some fresh fish, you can go on a fishing charter from Cocoa Beach (40 minutes away) and catch Red Snapper and Shark for $50 a person. Butler Chain of Lakes is great if you have a boat or waverunner. It's a golfing paradise. If you want to feel like you are on vacation you can have dinner at Kobe Steakhouse on International Drive and talk with tourists from all over the world. If you want to meet some locals, sit at the bar at Stonewood Tavern, great food and atmosphere. I'm talking about the one in Dr. Phillips.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:54 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,234,313 times
I have plenty of negatives as well but here's my positives:

Excellent road quality
Very diverse
Attractions
Beaches
Sunset
Winters
Water everywhere
Cruising down I-drive
Orlando Magic
Golf courses
Plenty of jobs, though not very high paying
Fishing
Allergies, fungus,mold,ragweed not an issue
Excellent healthcare, many doctors because of retirees

There's more but I can't think of them now!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando