Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2008, 06:30 PM

141 posts, read 506,301 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to FL with two kids (5 and 7) and Lake Mary is probably where we will end up. What kind of things are there to do outdoors , such as bike/hike trails, parks, water activities, etc? Also, we would appreciate if anyone can suggest good neighborhoods. Are people generally friendly in the area? (We won't know a soul) We are looking in the $425 range. Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 07:01 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,099,144 times
We have several parks and trails in Lake Mary. We have a bike trail that goes from Longwood to Sanford. There's a cool splash park for the youngins. We have a nice YMCA with an outdoor pool. Glad you chose Lake Mary as it is a great area with all the convenience. Some neighborhoods you may want to check out are Huntington Ridge, Timacuan, Woodbrige Lakes, Heathrow, Lake Mary Woods, and even some off Markham Woods Rd. Good luck! Where are you moving from and Welcome!

Old 08-27-2008, 08:55 AM

Thanks for all the info. We are moving from Washington State. Lived in Orlando for 2 years (10 years ago) and miss it. I just cannot take the weather here anymore. Summer is good but Oct - May are way too cold.

Old 08-28-2008, 09:24 AM

40 posts, read 95,287 times
Ang:

I am also moving to the Orlando area from Washington State

I am staying with my sister in the Southern Orlando area - does anyone have suggestions on where to look for work? Is Orlando the best area or should I look at Tampa? Safe area for a single gal to live?

Old 08-28-2008, 12:17 PM

197 posts, read 752,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ang08 View Post
Thanks for all the info. We are moving from Washington State. Lived in Orlando for 2 years (10 years ago) and miss it. I just cannot take the weather here anymore. Summer is good but Oct - May are way too cold.
When we sell our home on 6 acres here in Belfair, WA, we will also be relocating to Florida.

We're looking at Oviedo, Clermont, Leesburg, Lakeland, Lake Mary, or Jacksonville (Mandarin area).

I have done LOTS of research and have "narrowed" it down to these areas.

Good luck on your move.

iuki

Old 08-28-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki001 View Post
When we sell our home on 6 acres here in Belfair, WA, we will also be relocating to Florida.

We're looking at Oviedo, Clermont, Leesburg, Lakeland, Lake Mary, or Jacksonville (Mandarin area).

I have done LOTS of research and have "narrowed" it down to these areas.

Good luck on your move.

iuki

WOW small world, seems a lot of us are heading down to Florida. I am in the Seabeck area, so I know Belfair quite well.

Can I ask why you narrowed it down to those areas?

Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 PM

Good to hear - thought maybe we were crazy for making the move! I will sure miss the mountains but despite being a native Washingtonian I never got used to the weather. Still waiting to sell our house also so it could be a while. Good luck to you all!

Old 08-29-2008, 10:42 AM

Ang: I am doing the move on Sept 18th, driving down - 5 days! I am staying with family when I first get there so I will have the chance to look for a job and places to live. I'm in my 40's so I figure if I am going to make the move it's now or never

A huge part of me will miss this area but when it comes to the rain and clouds, I can do without it!

I'll keep you posted as to my luck with employment and living....

Old 08-29-2008, 04:48 PM

197 posts, read 752,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dst828 View Post
WOW small world, seems a lot of us are heading down to Florida. I am in the Seabeck area, so I know Belfair quite well.

Can I ask why you narrowed it down to those areas?
I have learned a lot since reading this forum. These areas were picked for low crime, good schools (resale purposes - children are grown), least impacted by hurricanes, low or no HOAs, and property tax rates. I have also researched medical facilities and health insurance providers.

Since we are both retired, commuting to work is not an issue.

We will be going to WDW from Sep 3 to Sept 16.

We are also familiar with Seabeck. I retired from the Naval Hospital Bremerton last year.

Best of luck to you.

iuki

Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iuki001 View Post
I have learned a lot since reading this forum. These areas were picked for low crime, good schools (resale purposes - children are grown), least impacted by hurricanes, low or no HOAs, and property tax rates. I have also researched medical facilities and health insurance providers.

Since we are both retired, commuting to work is not an issue.

We will be going to WDW from Sep 3 to Sept 16.

We are also familiar with Seabeck. I retired from the Naval Hospital Bremerton last year.

Best of luck to you.

iuki
Thanks for the info; I will be working (for another 20 years) so commuting is somewhat of a concern. I am excited to be in an area that has nice weather and hopefully some promising employment.

I'm torn between the Orlando area (where my sister is) and the Tampa/St Pete area. I'll check out both while looking for work and make a decision based on that.

Best of luck to you both, and who knows maybe we'll meet on a beach in Florida
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando