Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 11:48 AM

30 posts, read 145,437 times

Advertisements

I've been looking around at Realtor.com for a couple weeks and have noticed that the cost of houses in certain areas are REALLY low. I found a really pretty house in Poinciana for $55k (it's gone now, of course) but I haven't exactly read the nicest things about Poinciana here. There were a few other very pretty homes there for super cheap (like $85k) that I've seen. I'm assuming nobody wants to live in Poinciana? Is that why the houses there are priced so affordable?

Here's an example of a cheap house not in Poinciana: http://tinyurl.com/6p798b (broken link)

It looks pretty from the outside, maybe needs work on the inside, and seems to be in a decent area. So what's the catch? I keep reading that houses are so expensive in FL but I keep seeing these houses priced around $85k. I currently live in a house that's over 100 years old, no central air, tiny bathroom, no garage, etc. These houses are looking REALLY nice to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2008, 12:03 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,567,579 times
Poinciana is in a very remote area of Osceola and Polk counties, very far from where most jobs would be unless you want to work in the ultra low-paying service jobs of Kissimmee. It has also become filled with crime and some areas also have a gang problem.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:05 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,213,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myjanuarygirl View Post
Here's an example of a cheap house not in Poinciana: Single Family Home - ORLANDO, FL, 32808 - Realtor.com (http://tinyurl.com/6p798b - broken link)

It looks pretty from the outside, maybe needs work on the inside, and seems to be in a decent area. So what's the catch? I keep reading that houses are so expensive in FL but I keep seeing these houses priced around $85k. I currently live in a house that's over 100 years old, no central air, tiny bathroom, no garage, etc. These houses are looking REALLY nice to me!
I don't have much first hand information on the Poinciana area, although what I've heard hasn't been good. However, the home in the above link is in 32808 - the Pine Hills area or more commonly known around here as Crime Hills. Plus, the ad stated that this home was zoned for Jones High School. This school was an F school for so many years, they threatened to close it. The past 2 years it has come up to a D, but still has a reputation as a rough school.

I would guess that is why the home is so cheap. That house in a better to good area would run at least 150K or more.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:16 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,151,270 times
It is far from the city and hard to get in and out of. The low price of homes lends to some pretty undesirable buyers/renters. I think of it as the Deltona of the southside. There are very few advantages or amenities of living out there.

Old 07-08-2008, 01:30 PM

269 posts, read 1,010,841 times
I would rent until able to get something in a nicer area.

Old 07-08-2008, 02:28 PM

See I guess that's what's confusing me. The Orlando area seems to be hit or miss. Where I live, there's a lot of crime downtown, but that's pretty much where it stays. All the surrounding areas are clean and safe. Then again, a house like the one I linked to would easily run $250k here. Maybe I'll continue looking more into Brevard County instead. Thanks everyone!

Old 07-08-2008, 03:25 PM

Lake county and Polk County are generally the safer ones with more affordable homes, but there are several nice parts and crime ridden areas throughout the metro area. Brevard County and Volusia county have pockets of crime ridden areas as well. I would avoid most of Osceola County and parts of Orange County, but once you get into specific areas it can differ a lot by ZIP code and what side of the street/freeway/lake/river you are on. For instance, in Brevard County Melbourne, Viera, and Cocoa Beach are all better than Palm Bay and Cocoa. I think the worst area on the coast for crime though is Daytona Beach and that would be the biggest/most obvious city I would avoid, even though that is Volusia County.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:33 PM

28 posts, read 136,510 times
The house is also very small. 1200 sq ft. Says 4 bedrooms, but they must be tiny to pack them all in there. Kitchen is 10x6. According to the auditor's site, the house sold in spring of 2007 for $155,000. It's appraised at around $130,000.....so the short sale is causing the lower selling price.

Old 07-08-2008, 06:44 PM

Thanks Wilshire. Melbourne was another area we were looking at. I just spoke to a family member of mine who lives in Celebration, and he said the same thing about Daytona Beach. I was surprised, because a friend of mine lives there (Daytona Beach Shores) and she loves it.

ohiominnie- Wow, I totally missed the 10x6 kitchen.. is that even possible? How did you find the info from the auditor? That is interesting.

Old 07-08-2008, 07:01 PM

There is a lot of crime in Daytona but there are also nice areas north in Ormond Beach or Palm Coast or South in New Smyrna Beach. It is just the central area I would avoid, not to visit or hang out occasionally but just to live all the time. The nicer areas of Melbourne are northward, Palm Bay is less nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando