Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2008, 05:22 AM

8 posts, read 19,953 times

Advertisements

Hi folks. Just got a job offer over in Altamonte Springs. The job is located right off 436 and I-4 in Crane's Roost. I am thinking of renting either in Baldwin Park, Winter Park or Lake Mary. Lake Mary is a lot closer and I lived there about 7 years ago during a previous stint so I know that it's a really nice area given the above average crime rate in Orlando proper.

However, I am really intrigued by Baldwin Park. I did an internship over at the Orlando VA in 2006 and I am sorta familiar with the neighborhood as I had to drive through Baldwin Park every morning. I really liked the intown feel of the area and access to all the Asian restos around the Mills and Colonial corridor.

Maybe Winter Park would be a happy medium between Baldwin Park and Altamonte?

I guess my big concern would be traffic and the commute. Rent is not an issue as I have budgeted $1000 a month for rent and I want to treat myself after busting my butt in a fellowship out in California the last year.

TIA, any advice would greatly be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2008, 05:46 AM

5,969 posts, read 9,556,580 times
I would suggest Lake Mary, better commute to Altamonte and great area.

Old 07-04-2008, 05:58 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,146,482 times
I agree with you too that Winter Park could offer a good medium between the two. The traffic on 436 and 17-92 in the mornings is heavy but not that bad. Just looking at it though I would recommend Lake Mary, but Winter Park is doable. I would not suggest anywhere south of Winter Park because of how long your comute would start to become.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:27 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,335,507 times
If you really like Baldwin Park go for it. Oddly enough the commute from Winter Park and Baldwin Park may end up being shorter than Lake Mary even though it's further because you would be going against traffic and have the option of using 17-92 to Maitland Ave. Coming from Lake Mary you would be stuck on I-4 with everyone else heading towards downtown and that Lake Mary to Maitland Blvd stretch is one of the worst. I would say stay in Baldwin or Winter Park.

Old 07-06-2008, 08:52 AM

41 posts, read 215,572 times
lake mary

Old 07-08-2008, 06:20 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,855,535 times
There is only one place I saw under $1000 in Baldwin Park generally it falls between 1700-2500/month. Winter Park has a few places under $1000 maybe about 25%. From pure affordability Lake Mary is the winner. with over 1/2 of the rentals under $1000. It would be a good area if kids are involved. If schools aren't a factor you might find from Winter Park to Altamonte may have some decent places. Maitland also falls in that area.

Old 01-19-2014, 03:58 PM

2 posts, read 3,151 times
Hi Forum,

I am looking to relocate to Osteen or maybe Geneva have no clue how are the schools, I want to actually be around the country, where in or about that area is it nice quiet country living

Old 01-21-2014, 06:20 AM

27,181 posts, read 43,867,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evelyn828 View Post
Hi Forum,

I am looking to relocate to Osteen or maybe Geneva have no clue how are the schools, I want to actually be around the country, where in or about that area is it nice quiet country living
You'll want to focus on Geneva's school boundaries as Osteen's aren't very good. Geneva Elementary is very good (A-rated) and the Middle Schools/High Schools are in Oviedo which has very highly rated schools. Osteen is in Volusia County and their elementary feeds to Deltona schools which are not well rated.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 AM

1,640 posts, read 2,655,131 times
Of your three choices, Lake Mary is the most family-friendly due it's suburban nature. It's also the safest and, arguable, the most upscale of the three. However, if you neither have children nor plan to have any in the near future, I would suggest either Winter Park or Baldwin Park.

Compared to Lake Mary, both Winter Park and Baldwin Park are more urban; more walkable; home to more singles; and more conveniently located to the nightlife, shopping, and restaurants of Downtown (and the airport, too). That said, Baldwin Park seems a little more family-oriented than Winter Park, but more of a place for young couples with very young children not yet in school than families with school-aged children. Baldwin Park is also newer than Winter Park, and it is a master-planned community. Different strokes. Regardless, you really can't go wrong with either.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:47 PM

698 posts, read 959,725 times
How about Maitland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando