Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2021, 06:37 PM

648 posts, read 519,938 times

Advertisements

I thought I’d give this a try, to get input from the other good folks who live in Central FL, in identifying great places to eat or great places to buy high quality food items, ethnic or otherwise. My only request is that the recommendations not be big franchise operations - either national or regional. I’m sure places will be mentioned that have been discussed in other threads, but I thought having one thread that could be a sort of “go-to” might be nice. As I’m new to the region I have only a small number so far. But here goes.

My first recommendation is Rosallie Le French Cafe in Winter Garden. A great place for lunches, pastries, and coffee. A nice spot in WG. I think they may bake their own bread.

Next is Petty’s Meat Market in Longwood. New to me, but I guess most here already know about Petty’s. They carry Prime beef and many other varieties of meats, but don’t carry ground veal or lamb normally in the store. It can be ordered, however, and picked up. I tried various things including their sausages. Very tasty. They also have a sandwich and salads counter plus a lot of packaged goods. Prices on some of the latter can be a little high.

Donut King in Minneola and WP (and I think Leesburg). Great donuts. Better than a number of others I’ve tried in the area.

Cafe de France in WP. I’ve read the reviews and I guess the sense is maybe this place is not what it once was. Maybe that’s true, but I can say for me and my wife, at least, for the two times we’ve tried it we were very pleased. I think it’s worth a try.

I know there’s lots more to investigate (I haven’t even started with Dr. Phillips or Orlando proper yet!), and I plan to do so once I can tear myself away from unboxing everything in my house. Everything from pizza and burgers to monkfish liver! But I’d love to hear from others who’ve found some other great local places.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2021, 08:22 PM

17,282 posts, read 15,476,500 times
Yes!!! Love this idea!!!
I’ll chime in some when I have time. Tons of recommendations. Props for the Pettys mention. Hidden gem for sure!

Old 06-04-2021, 02:07 AM

786 posts, read 629,248 times
Main Street Pizza in downtown Kissimmee is great. Can even buy by the slice there, then walk a few blocks north to that Nitrogen Ice Cream place across the street, it use to be called Abracadabra, but Im drawing a blank on the current name... they even have bounce houses (you cant miss it) for kids as long as you buy something from them. Good Burgers there too.

Old 06-04-2021, 05:45 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyp22 View Post
I thought I’d give this a try, to get input from the other good folks who live in Central FL, in identifying great places to eat or great places to buy high quality food items, ethnic or otherwise. My only request is that the recommendations not be big franchise operations - either national or regional. I’m sure places will be mentioned that have been discussed in other threads, but I thought having one thread that could be a sort of “go-to” might be nice. As I’m new to the region I have only a small number so far. But here goes.

My first recommendation is Rosallie Le French Cafe in Winter Garden. A great place for lunches, pastries, and coffee. A nice spot in WG. I think they may bake their own bread.

Next is Petty’s Meat Market in Longwood. New to me, but I guess most here already know about Petty’s. They carry Prime beef and many other varieties of meats, but don’t carry ground veal or lamb normally in the store. It can be ordered, however, and picked up. I tried various things including their sausages. Very tasty. They also have a sandwich and salads counter plus a lot of packaged goods. Prices on some of the latter can be a little high.

Donut King in Minneola and WP (and I think Leesburg). Great donuts. Better than a number of others I’ve tried in the area.

Cafe de France in WP. I’ve read the reviews and I guess the sense is maybe this place is not what it once was. Maybe that’s true, but I can say for me and my wife, at least, for the two times we’ve tried it we were very pleased. I think it’s worth a try.

I know there’s lots more to investigate (I haven’t even started with Dr. Phillips or Orlando proper yet!), and I plan to do so once I can tear myself away from unboxing everything in my house. Everything from pizza and burgers to monkfish liver! But I’d love to hear from others who’ve found some other great local places.

Glad you found Petty's, it's a favorite of mine too and make it a weekly visit for beef and pork (their homemade sausages are fantastic!) For those wondering where: Pettys Meats - Where the everyday becomes gourmet

I need to give Cafe de France another opportunity. I have since enjoyed Cafe Vincent in Winter Park as well, though it seems to get more mixed reviews. We tend to order a couple of appetizers each to share (more interesting in my opinion) and split a bottle of wine (or two) versus traditional entrees. Home | Chez Vincent Traditional French Cuisine | Winter Park | Orlando | Florida

Have you tried Yummy House for Chinese in Altamonte Springs? It's different from the usual American Chinese seen everywhere else and definitely worth exploring! https://yummyhouseflorida.com/orlando-menu/ Try the Salt and Pepper Appetizers and the XO Sauce Entrees!

Old 06-04-2021, 06:36 AM

396 posts, read 418,793 times
Beefy King. For those who know.

Old 06-05-2021, 07:16 AM

15 posts, read 18,376 times
Our two favorite Filipino restaurants:

Nipa Hut in Kissimmee: https://nipahutfl.com/. Wife's favorite dishes are Palabok and Kare-Kare. Mine are Milkfish Sisig and Sizzling Bangus.

Inay's Kitchen in Ocoee: https://www.facebook.com/felindacafefood/. Wife's favorite dishes are Pancit Bihon and Chicken BBQ. Mine is Bangsilog.

Best served with a cold San Miguel beer!

Anyone have a go-to hole-in-the-wall seafood joint? Best we've found thus far is Happy Snapper Seafood Restaurant: https://happy-snapper-seafood-market...business.site/. But we're on the lookout for more.

Old 06-05-2021, 01:18 PM

27,231 posts, read 44,036,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rice-noodles View Post
Anyone have a go-to hole-in-the-wall seafood joint? Best we've found thus far is Happy Snapper Seafood Restaurant: https://happy-snapper-seafood-market...business.site/. But we're on the lookout for more.
Reel Fish Coastal Kitchen + Bar in Winter Park. It's not a dowdy little dive, but not fancy either. It won best seafood restaurant in Orlando last year. They're open for lunch, brunch or dinner. Definitely make a reservation on the website if planning to go! https://reelfishcoastal.com/

If not "hole in the wall" enough check out Boston's Fish House in Winter Park. Awesome mostly fried options, the onion rings are a must! https://www.bostonsfishhouse.com/Home

Old 06-06-2021, 10:58 AM

24,410 posts, read 27,017,180 times
Trevi Pasta - Italian
Fresco Cucina Italiano - Italian
Jinya Ramen - Japanese Ramen
Paris Banh Mi - Banh Mi (Vietnamese sandwich)
Gyu Kaku - Japanese BBQ
Black Bean Deli - Cuban Cafe
El Alacran Taqueria - Mexican (authentic tacos)
Krungthep Tea Time - Thai (sandwiches, drinks, brick toast dessert)
Royal Tea - Taiwanese Boba Tea
Beefy King - American sandwiches
Junior Colombia Burger - Colombian style burgers
Nine Spices Hot Pot - Chinese hot pot
Sun Pearl Bakery - Taiwanese bakery
Hot N Juicy - Cajun peel and eat
Q'Kenan - Venezuelan
Saffron Indian Cuisine - Indian
Madras Cafe - Indian Dosa
Better Than Sex - Dessert (romantic)
@ The Diner - American breakfast
Kabooki - Japanese sushi
Tori Tori - Japanese Yakitori and pub

There's more, but these are just some off the top of my head.

Old 06-09-2021, 04:59 AM

211 posts, read 272,489 times
Has anyone been to Cuban Sandwiches to go recently on Lee Rd? I remember back in college it was on the food network for the amazing cubans and I haven't been back since (event though I drive past it regularly).

Some others not mentioned...
Da Kine poke (inside The Local Butcher)
Create your nature for açaí bowls
New General off Park Ave. Vegan options and amazing coffee
I've never had a bad meal at Prato
Black Rooster for their Colombian Pinto beans
Hot Dog Heaven for, you guessed it, hot dogs
Pig Floyds

Old 06-09-2021, 09:40 AM

17,282 posts, read 15,476,500 times
A recent favorite of ours (kids and myself, and gf loved the décor when I took her there recently) is Galeria in Baldwin Park. Mainly a steakhouse+seafood place, but the steaks are great (aged, etc.) and the fish dishes I've had so far have been quite good too. There is a seabass with mushroom risotto that I am particularly fond of. Inside, it is ornated with some pretty fancy paintings and wall murals. And it sits right on Lake Baldwin, so the view isn't bad either.

https://www.galeria-restaurant.com/

Pricing is typical for this type of restaurant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando