Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2006, 05:12 PM

19 posts, read 96,421 times

Advertisements

Hello all ,

I would like to wish a merry Christmas first and ask you some things about Florida , particularly Sanford.

I have bought a house in Sanford Recently after visited Kissimee , Heathrow , Hollywood , Miami ,Kendale , Coral gables , ...

I did the choice in Sanford because i was thinking than Kisimmee was too much tourist area , and in Miami , where i wanted to live was Miami Beach i didn't wanted spend 500.000 $ for only 3 bedrooms apartment 1500 sq ft and 600 $ fees each month.So i couldn't leave in miami beach because i don't have enought money and too i have 2 daughters 10 and 4 years old , we are wainting fr the 3 rd and i though than it was a good idea to be on the 1 world attraction citys to spend good time on the different theme parks and visit all the Florida for the next years.

Here in French Riviera we live in 2 bedrooms 800 sq ft for 500.000 $ so you can imagine why a house in Sanford 3000sq ft for the same price for us it's very cheap compare than in france.
And we have no theme parks , not enough space , the restaurant are very expensive , they close at 2 pm for lunch and 10 PM for dinner , the people smoke inside , no air conditioned , no car parks....and may be when you live 30 years on the same area you begin to be bored about all the same things same people you see each days.

My question is i'm very disapointing , because i came a lot to visit Orlando i asked everywhere if the north Orlando ( Heathrow , Sanford, Seminole county ) was good and all the people say " yes very good from lake mary to Sanford " but when i came to this web site i 'm afraid about what i'm reading , some people describe Sanford like Harlem or worst like Baghdad so i would like to have your opnion and the reality of the good things and the bad things.

I have ridden than this year was a record for the homicide in Orlando but for example here in france we have 10 times less weapons than America but, 3 weeks ago near my home 2 restaurant owners were shoot and killed after the service by 4 guys and 1 employee injured by the shooting is still on hospital between live and dead , a serial killer rapes and kills 3 old grandmothers last summer in Vence, we have more than 2000 attacks each year against tourists and locals ( when the cars stop on red light they kick the women passengers and take the bags for themoney) , we have car jacking , a lot of Armoured coach attacks with Ak 47 , a lot of killing between gangs , they attacks bus and burned it with coctail molotov with people inside , they come at 100 hundreds criminals in the train station and they stop the train and steal all the passengers , each year in my city we have around 500 cars burned and police receive rocks and cocktail molotov in their cars , 1 year ago they try to make me a car jacking when i was with my childrens , they have stolen 2 of my limousine cars during i was here in Orlando to visit the house i have bought , 1 month ago they climb to break my appartments on the 5 th floor when we were sleeping and 8 others neighbour, yesterday they have broken 3 garages and visited mine to steel cars , last year we have riots in france with more than 35.000 cars burns on all the citys in france it was like civil war during 3 weeks , 9 people were killed , hundreds of gas station , Shopping center , Car salers , Schools , City hall , were burned. In paris we have 850 homicide when in Ny you have 650 , In year 2000 the criminality in France is worst than America for the first time.
we pay 1.20 € ( 1.60 $ for 1 liter gas ) , 70 % tax on cigarettes 5 € ( 8$ ) for 1 pack of 20 cigarettes , if we give 1000 € to an employee the boss has to pay 800 € more for taxes , the VAT is 20 % , if you make 100 $ at the end you have 20 $ on your pocket after paying all the taxes, so i want to leave from France for many many things and many others in the next years and i' m very disapointing about reading than Seminole county , or Florida is the next Irak.
I just bought the house now but i want to come to live half year and because i will have not enough money to buy house in 3 years if the price is 1millions $.

Please can you give me the reality of Sanford area i'm sure Sanford is not
the paradise but i 'm sure it's not the hell too just the reality please.
Because now i'm not sure i did the good choice to buy my house here in Sanford And it's pitty because it's a dream to come to live 6 months in America and 6 months in France.

Thanks a lot for your opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2006, 06:21 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,220,810 times
Please don't worry. The Preserve at Astor Farms is a beautiful upscale community. While there is crime in Orlando and it has been on the increase, the MAJORITY of it is still isolated to certain areas such as Pine Hills and the Parramore area. There is some crime in all areas, but the above areas are where the gangs operate and the drugs and prostitutes are plentiful.

I'm not sure about the schools in Sanford. I know Seminole High is the IB school for Seminole County (IB is International Bacalaureate).

Yes, taxes are high and insurance has gotten out of control. Hopefully these issues will be addressed soon. Other than that, I think Orlando/Central Florida is a great place to live and raise a family. Welcome!

Old 01-03-2007, 10:59 AM

Thanks for the information.

If i was a foreigner and i read what i said about South of France i wouldn't come to South France, and nevertheless the French Riviera is very very beautiful , but i'm sure i'm tired about this place so i'm not the best to speak in good about where i live.

So thanks again for the information , the thing is i think Sanford is a little bit far from internationale drive or Downtown but in America in 2006 you are far the city center and 5 years later you are in the middle , the growth is incredible here, and i hope this north area will be a good place to live.

Generally i think orlando Area is a good place to live , the average of the people seems normal with not too much levels.

Damned i 'm very upset about the haunted house which will close , i wanted to go with my daughters , too late ....

I wish when i will come to live here Disney , Epcot and sea world will always be there .

Thanks for the information and i wish in " Preserve at Astor Farms " will have a lot of familys around my age 30 yo with several childrens to make some good relationships.

bye.

Old 01-03-2007, 12:57 PM

6,565 posts, read 14,315,537 times
I think you're going to be pleasantly surprised..... I lived in Sanford for a few years and it's nothing like you describe. Yes, there's a couple nasty areas to avoid, but you didn't buy there, so don't fret......

Sanford itself is working VERY hard on improving it's infrastructure and improving it's image. Relax. You done good...

Old 01-03-2007, 03:32 PM

I read than when you buy a house during the next 3 months you have like the baby blues and for sure more when you don't live in the area and you hear what the people said , and for sure more now than the market is going done.

I wish i will be pleasantly surprised and my childrens will could find some others friend childrens same age where we have bought the house.

Sincerely.

Old 01-03-2007, 03:41 PM

1,418 posts, read 10,203,411 times
I agree with what most said about Sanford. Other than a few areas south and west of the downtown area, there are some very nice areas as well. Personally, I think Sanford is a sleeper - prices aren't all that bad yet, Seminole County has a lot of money, and I think Sanford is moving on the right track.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:57 PM

9 posts, read 37,610 times
Don't worry! Astor Farms is a very nice neighborhood. You will be very pleased I'm sure.
The bad things you heard about Sanford is downtown old Sanford. And the area is changing. The HS is very good. I haven't heard of any problems there. My kids are in Oviedo Schools and play sports vs Seminole HS.
No worries!!
Oh and you have the Seminole Town Center Shops - plenty of them....

Great locations. Welcome to the area!!

Old 01-06-2007, 11:26 AM

It's what i feet when i come to Sanford , and i like than it was only 40 Minutes drive to Daytona beach , Cap Canaveral , themes park.
i wish the development will be good in this area.

Thanks for your posts.

See you In florida next time !!!

Old 01-06-2007, 05:02 PM

47 posts, read 292,102 times
Sanford for years was a hell hole. Incredibly corrupt city and business leaders, tons of crime, the city dumping raw sewage into Lake Monroe for decades, horrible school system (the rich folks sent their kids to private school). A friend of mine lived in the historic district blocks from downtown and you couldn't walk around after dark. The house behind his had hookers and crack dealers coming by all the time. As soon as he made some money he got the hell out.

The new growth west of town from I-4 west to the Wekiva River is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando