Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 03:48 PM

4 posts, read 7,811 times

Advertisements

From researching the Orlando area, it seems like Dr. Phillips would be a great fit for our family. We'd of course visit the area as well, but would love to hear locals thoughts if they've lived/relocated here and what they like/dislike. Also have a few questions...

How are the public schools and is there a best elementary in the area? It seems like Great Schools and Niche have opposing ratings (esp. for the high school) but read they're favorable. Overall, is the difference in Dr. Phillips and Windermere not too significant? We have elementary age kids but looking ahead long term as well.

Not set on new at all, but saw a couple new builds by Pulte and Meritage in Dr. Phillips. Thoughts on these? We definitely want a covered pool, so figure it'll have to be added on if allowed.

With a good pest control, are bugs just a nuisance or is it a big issue? I've lived in the rural south and big metros, so feel like it depends on what other posters are used to or grew up with. Mostly concerned about mosquitos since I'm allergic, but I've dealt with it in areas before. We also caught the lovebug season on a vacation last year, that was enlightening lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 04:41 PM

2,129 posts, read 4,509,413 times
I grew up in Dr. Phillips and lived there until 2017 (then moved to the Ocoee/Windermere border and now downtown Orlando); I can attest that Dr. Phillips is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. As for elementary schools, I think Windermere has always had a rep as the best in the area, but Dr. Phillips Elem has always been highly regarded. I believe Windy Ridge is well rated too.

Bugs can always be an issue; I use a roach gel from Amazon as well as roach bait stations in my house. But I’m a renter and I don’t really know how good our pest control is. As for mosquitos, you can get rid of them naturally with lemongrass planters, as well as making sure you don’t have any standing water in your yard.

Old 09-28-2020, 04:43 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
I'm the Dr. Phillips expert in this forum it seems lol, along with another member or two I think. Anyways, overall Dr. Phillips is great. Traffic is minimal, you have Trader Joes, multiple Publix locations, Whole Foods, The Fresh Market.... restaurants, bars, etc all right there without having to get on big highways or freeways. It's a great area to live.

The public schools are above average, but not the best, but the schools are still a draw for residents. You can't really go wrong with the elementary schools... Dr. Phillips, Sand Lake, Bay Meadows are all great. If you go down toward the new Pulte development (Phillips Grove), they are building a new state of the art high school there. I would choose this part of Dr. Phillips.

I have friends who bought a gorgeous house in Phillips Grove and they are really happy there. Parkside has some good price per square feet homes. And a mature community that I really love there is Phillips Landing. And yes screened pools are allowed in all of those.

Depends where you live, but I never had bug issues in Dr. Phillips with a pest control plan. Love bug season is the worst thing bug wise. My girl friend is also allergic to mosquito bites and she is fine here.

Old 09-28-2020, 05:33 PM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times
I don't think you will find much better than Dr. Philips in the Orlando Metro...
The reasons why one would NOT want to live there, IMO, are:

- If one is looking for a walkable, somewhat urban setting, this is far from it. There are tons of options for that in Orlando, but Dr.Philips is about as anti-walkable as they come in the city. I prefer a walkable neighborhood, and as such, decided to move to Baldwin Park. My other options were Delaney, Thornton, Eola Heights, Highland, and Audubon.
- Location, for some. If you work, say, downtown, or North of Downtown, or Lake Nona, or... pretty much anywhere not around the theme parks and Millenia, your commute is going to be hell. Traffic IN Dr. Philips isn't bad, but the traffic AROUND it is quite horrible.

All in all, it's a terrific place.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:46 AM

126 posts, read 108,345 times
I agree with Dr. Phillips as a choice! Usually I won't rec Orange County at all because of the problems but Dr. Phillips is the exception. Doctor Phillips is like a Clermont in the city.

The other 90% rest of us who can't afford it there have to listen to loud engine (fart can) wiz through our hoods, and people playing terrible music. But at least we can be happy that bmw355xi and a few select can live there.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:17 PM

747 posts, read 497,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FasterThanTheSpeed View Post
I agree with Dr. Phillips as a choice! Usually I won't rec Orange County at all because of the problems but Dr. Phillips is the exception. Doctor Phillips is like a Clermont in the city.

The other 90% rest of us who can't afford it there have to listen to loud engine (fart can) wiz through our hoods, and people playing terrible music. But at least we can be happy that bmw355xi and a few select can live there.
This is kinda true but that’s how it is in many (if not most) large cities. It is what it is. I just moved back to Orlando and while I do hear fart cans all the time on the 417 and major roads, the neighborhood really dictates if you’ll hear it every day. It can be very annoying, but what are you gonna do?

Old 09-29-2020, 12:36 PM

490 posts, read 517,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinkofsunshine View Post
I grew up in Dr. Phillips and lived there until 2017 (then moved to the Ocoee/Windermere border and now downtown Orlando); I can attest that Dr. Phillips is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. As for elementary schools, I think Windermere has always had a rep as the best in the area, but Dr. Phillips Elem has always been highly regarded. I believe Windy Ridge is well rated too.

Bugs can always be an issue; I use a roach gel from Amazon as well as roach bait stations in my house. But I’m a renter and I don’t really know how good our pest control is. As for mosquitos, you can get rid of them naturally with lemongrass planters, as well as making sure you don’t have any standing water in your yard.
I was discussing with a new family last week which area of DP they should move too. I think the zoning for the new school will be south of Sand lake with the folks that live north of Sand lake remaining at DPHS. Thoughts on which one will be the better school?

OP, I agree that DP is a great area. You can't go wrong, buy new if you can.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:56 PM

4 posts, read 7,811 times
Thanks so much for the replies, all VERY helpful! I'll definitely check out Phillips Landing and Parkside. The Pulte homes do look great on the site. If others have any recommended areas within DP would love to know.

I think Windermere Prep is the closest private, in your opinion is private there worth the price tag or just different? We both grew up in public but kids currently go to private, sounds like it'll be fine either way in this district. Also, curious to know how diverse DP is?

Old 09-29-2020, 02:30 PM

17,154 posts, read 15,366,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coroli35 View Post
Thanks so much for the replies, all VERY helpful! I'll definitely check out Phillips Landing and Parkside. The Pulte homes do look great on the site. If others have any recommended areas within DP would love to know.

I think Windermere Prep is the closest private, in your opinion is private there worth the price tag or just different? We both grew up in public but kids currently go to private, sounds like it'll be fine either way in this district. Also, curious to know how diverse DP is?
Windermere Prep is a TERRIFIC school. If you can afford it, I see no reason why NOT to send your kids there.

Old 09-29-2020, 02:31 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,943,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coroli35 View Post

See screenshot for racial makeup... you can also search 32819 and 32836 for racial makeups too. People are accepting of all races here.

I think a good private school will always be better than public schools mainly because they have the power to kick out troublesome students and fire teachers with a lot more ease. I think Lake Highland Prep is the best private school in Orlando area, there is a private school bus that picks students up from Dr. Phillips to here as I’ve seen it many times. I’ve heard good things about Windermere Prep too, but not as much as Lake Highland but still very good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando