Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 04:34 PM

486 posts, read 1,898,589 times

Advertisements

My mom and I will be returning to Orlando probably in September and I haven't been to Orlando since I was 8 or 9 to visit Disney and Universal, but now we are venturing into the city itself. Outside of the two major resorts, what else do you recommend doing in Orlando? Now to another question: I've read elsewhere that traffic in Orlando is unpredictable and horrendous. Honestly, how bad is it? I've spent a lot of time in Chicago and Washington DC so I'm used to congestion. Is Orlando traffic on the same scale as those two cities? Also, just because I'm thinking about it right now, would Orlando be considered a good city for a guy fresh out of college? I've got a number of years until I have to make that decision as I'm finishing high school now, but it would be nice to have a possibility in the back of my head.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2008, 04:52 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,154,766 times
If you have not tried SeaWorld, there is that option. There are several water parks if it is warm enough. There are about 8 or so major malls in the area, the nicest being the Mall at Millenia or the Florida Mall. There are some older, more historic areas with brick paved streets and nice shops and eateries. These include Winter Park, College Park, and Thornton Park. There are art and Science museums in Loch Haven Park. There is Leu Gardens. There are the local beaches and the Kennedy Space Center. There is a selection of about 3-4 dinner theaters in the area. There are older fair-like attractions in old town Kissimmee and International Drive, Ripley's or Wonder Works, GatorLand.

Orlando really is a great place to live for young singles, college students, and younger families. While there are areas that work for older couples or retirees, I think the city is growing in such a way that older groups that may be more interested in a quieter pace of life offered in Lake County to the west, or along the coastal communities like Spring Hill or Viera.
With that said, there is a laundry list of great places to look and places to avoid that could be found throughout this blog. If you like what you see and decide you want to move here, you should definitely consult this blog for advice when you get there. Orlando is a great place to live for several reasons (weather, entertainment, great neighborhoods, etc.) but it also has its challenges like other cities (growing traffic, areas of crime, low paying jobs, apt/homes are expensive)...
Have fun on your vacation! Remember there are side roads if the 4 is bad too!

Old 03-16-2008, 04:53 PM

1,377 posts, read 4,215,944 times
Coming from Kentucky, I would stay as far away from Orlando as possible! The job market is terrible, they pay nothing and the education system in Florida is garbage. Traffic, in reality could be worse, but its just the stupidity of the drivers that's so bad. If you are just coming out of college, Orlando would be one of the last places I would look. Your education does not matter in Orlando. Its cool to visit Orlando, but living there is a whole different ballgame. Disney and Universal get old quick because you are surrounded by tourists everywhere. Very few locals go to the theme parks because of the frustration and long lines. Good Luck! Habla Espanol?

Old 03-16-2008, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Habla Espanol?
Si, claro. Yo he tomado clases del espanol por 8 anos.

Old 03-16-2008, 05:56 PM

Good, you're gonna need it.

Old 03-16-2008, 06:02 PM

1,988 posts, read 7,154,766 times
I hope you can take those comments with a grain of salt LOL...
You do not need to know Spanish to live here and the themes are not frustrating, they are fun! I would be careful about jobs though. Good jobs with good pay are hard to find.
They are here, but there is a lot of competition for those jobs!

Old 03-16-2008, 06:40 PM

Yes, you even need to take the positive posts with a grain of salt, I'm telling it like it is. I lived 10 years there and couldn't wait to get out of there as did most of my friends who left as well. Thank God, I have no idea why anybody would consider Florida unless family reasons brought them there.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:20 AM

1,683 posts, read 8,216,073 times
I guess it depends on the job. My son is looking and has received multiple offers from major companies in the just last 2 weeks. There seem to be jobs available if you're experienced, have great references, a proven track record, excellent interview skills, and are in a growing field.

As far as traffic....it varies. Last Friday - for some reason - it was awful. Usually it's not too bad for me.

Do you like Science? I think Orlando's Science Center is fantastic.

Take your mom shopping and then out to lunch in Winter Park - north east of downtown Orlando. Park Ave. is great.

If you like nature, go to DeLeon Springs - about 30-40 miles north of Orlando. They have an awesome all you can eat, cook your own pancakes, canoes and paddle boats for rent, nature trails, fishing and of course the springs. If you just want the springs, canoeing, etc. Go to Wekiva Springs - just north of Orlando, it's closer.

There are great beaches - New Smyrna is my favorite, but if you're in the Disney area - Cocoa would be closer.

I don't know how much time you have to spend....there's many other things.

Old 03-17-2008, 02:54 PM

Thanks a lot. I'm considering going into architecture school as I'm currently doing an independent study during school with a professor at the Univ. of Kentucky (it's 5 minutes away from my high school) so if I continue to pursue a degree in that field, I'd like to find a place where I can put that education to good use. As for my trip, I think we'll be there for 5 or 6 days. I just remember the gorgeous weather we had those times I was there. My grandpa lives in Sarasota so summer heat in Orlando probably won't be much different than Tampa Bay or Sarasota (I would think). But thanks for all of your suggestions!

Old 03-18-2008, 05:28 AM

467 posts, read 1,692,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by **NoodLes** View Post
Yes, you even need to take the positive posts with a grain of salt, I'm telling it like it is. I lived 10 years there and couldn't wait to get out of there as did most of my friends who left as well. Thank God, I have no idea why anybody would consider Florida unless family reasons brought them there.
I have been here 16 years. There are tons of reasons to move here. some valid, some maybe not. Florida is a huge place. If you pick the wrong location like many here obviously did you may hate it. If you do not pick the wrong place you may love it. I picked a good place I guess because I love it and have no problems with having to speak spainish or anything. I don't compete with illegals for my work.
Your pay depends on what you do just like anywhere. Houses are still too high right now but that will all fall in line eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando