Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2015, 02:50 AM

4 posts, read 3,995 times

Advertisements

First I want to apologize for the grammatical errors that I can make. I´m Spanish and I write from Spain. Within a period not exceeding 1 year I´m going to establish, together with my family, in Kissimmee. The reasons are various, but essentially my wife's parents live in Kissimmee (originating in the Dominican Republic) and that my work situation (I've been fired from my job). Currently at my age (51 years) it is almost impossible to find a good paying job in Spain.

I want to set up a catering business Spanish food, based mainly on paella and would like to know your opinion regarding the expectations that I have and the possibilities of business. I also want to make paellas where people want (home, events, etc.)

Thank you for your answers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2015, 05:32 AM

17,466 posts, read 15,617,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xazxazxaz View Post
First I want to apologize for the grammatical errors that I can make. I´m Spanish and I write from Spain. Within a period not exceeding 1 year I´m going to establish, together with my family, in Kissimmee. The reasons are various, but essentially my wife's parents live in Kissimmee (originating in the Dominican Republic) and that my work situation (I've been fired from my job). Currently at my age (51 years) it is almost impossible to find a good paying job in Spain.

I want to set up a catering business Spanish food, based mainly on paella and would like to know your opinion regarding the expectations that I have and the possibilities of business. I also want to make paellas where people want (home, events, etc.)

Thank you for your answers.
The best thing you can do is get a lunch truck and advertize. Go to local businesses and spread the word.
In general, I've found Mexicans and blue collar (construction, etc.) workers to be the main patrons at food trucks. There are quite a few in the area where I live, and they seem to do rather well.
For catering, I'd suggest you get in touch with local markets. You shouldn't have a hard time finding small Spanish and/or Dominican stores in the area. Plenty will likely take your paellas and happily sell them for you, or even allow you to set up shop at the store and sell them yourself. I have a friend who makes Caribbean hot sauce and Dahlpuri roti for a local Caribbean store and she does pretty well.

My main advice, aside from that, is to keep expectations realistic. It will take some time to get on your feet, but it will happen. Just move here with money saved up, or with family willing to assist you for the first few months to a year.

Good luck!

Old 05-06-2015, 09:35 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,154,031 times
There are many legal obstacles. First and foremost getting the proper visa to live and work here as a self-employed individual. Next there are multiple health department and taxation and business license certificates. You will need a ServSafe class and certificate for anyone working with your business. My best advice is to get a good immigration attorney as well as an attorney who specializes in small business related laws.

PS--You can't make and sell Paellas unless you make them in the home of the person who hires you as a chef or you have a licensed commercial kitchen. It is illegal to make food in a home kitchen and sell it to the public.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
There are many legal obstacles. First and foremost getting the proper visa to live and work here as a self-employed individual. Next there are multiple health department and taxation and business license certificates. You will need a ServSafe class and certificate for anyone working with your business. My best advice is to get a good immigration attorney as well as an attorney who specializes in small business related laws.

PS--You can't make and sell Paellas unless you make them in the home of the person who hires you as a chef or you have a licensed commercial kitchen. It is illegal to make food in a home kitchen and sell it to the public.

Out of curiosity, are the food trucks we see around (Lake County especially) all licensed? Many of them aren't listed in business listings, and it would seem that they are operated by [presumably] illegal aliens...
You're older than I am and seem to have more knowledge on most CFL matters than I do, so I thought I'd ask.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Out of curiosity, are the food trucks we see around (Lake County especially) all licensed? Many of them aren't listed in business listings, and it would seem that they are operated by [presumably] illegal aliens...
You're older than I am and seem to have more knowledge on most CFL matters than I do, so I thought I'd ask.
Yes, they are all licensed. The health department does regular checks at both stationary trucks and food truck events and would shut anyone without the proper permits down in a NY minute. Not sure why you think they are operated by illegals, most of the 30-40 or so I am familiar with and have patronized have been run by people with (roughly) the same accent and skin color I have. Meaning unless they are illegals from Canada, I think your presumption is quite incorrect.

Could there be a few run by illegals? Yes, but they would be the exception to the rule.

By the way, a lot of them have pages on Facecbook. Check out the https://www.facebook.com/CentralFlor...dTruckAlliance page.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Yes, they are all licensed. The health department does regular checks at both stationary trucks and food truck events and would shut anyone without the proper permits down in a NY minute. Not sure why you think they are operated by illegals, most of the 30-40 or so I am familiar with and have patronized have been run by people with (roughly) the same accent and skin color I have. Meaning unless they are illegals from Canada, I think your presumption is quite incorrect.

Could there be a few run by illegals? Yes, but they would be the exception to the rule.

By the way, a lot of them have pages on Facecbook. Check out the https://www.facebook.com/CentralFlor...dTruckAlliance page.

Thanks for the response.
As for the bold text, I meant to mention that I was referring mostly to Mexican food trucks... Keep in mind, I'm in Mount Dora, so the vast majority of food trucks I see are in Mount Dora, Astatula, Sorrento, Plymouth and West Apopka and are operated by Mexicans.

Old 05-06-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcenal352 View Post
Thanks for the response.
As for the bold text, I meant to mention that I was referring mostly to Mexican food trucks... Keep in mind, I'm in Mount Dora, so the vast majority of food trucks I see are in Mount Dora, Astatula, Sorrento, Plymouth and West Apopka and are operated by Mexicans.
They are still inspected and licensed, and many to most are owned by legals, although some might hire illegals to work in them. It's pretty hard to be illegal and stay under the radar enough to own a business requiring various licenses with organizations that actually inspect--and I can tell you for a fact that the Florida Department of health is a stickler for things (health department including Servsafe, city business license, state Department of Taxation permit, motor vehicle tags and insurance, etc.) business trade credit, etc.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:32 AM

4 posts, read 3,995 times
I'm really grateful for ideas and advices. Of course I want to do everything legally. I know all legal and tax requirements that have a food business and for that reason my idea is to start working with a culinary incubator. There are several in Orlando and one in Kissimmee. My visa will be for family reunification.

I´m an engineer in agricultural and food industry, with experience in chemical plants. But the time has come and I want to be my own boss. I´m very fond of spanish cook and I love cooking.

My initial post was not based on any legal impediment, I already know, if not the acceptance of a new business of Spanish food but of high quality. If any of you have eaten paella that has been cooked by a person of Puerto Rican or Cuban, he does not know the real Spanish paella. And I would say, almost no one in the United States. The question is whether it really worth offering a genuine spanish product or not, because the taste of the community is used to the taste of Spanish food but "Latin style". Spanish food is very different from the Latin American food.

The non-Latino community had a good acceptance for such good quality food? This is important to me

My idea is to cover all Central Florida for catering and events. Of course, all those who respond with good ideas and advice are invited to a dish of rich, authentic Spanish paella. Please, give me a feedback, and again, sorry for grammar.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:39 PM

I think you need to step out of Kissimmee if you want to offer upscale and authentic food.

I think you also need to offer more than just Paella.

I think that there would be a market in Winter Park, Maitland, Heathrow, Windermere... If you want to offer an upscale and authentic product, you need to follow the money and sophistication to find people with adventurous palates who actually use caterers for their events. Look at Audubon Park--there is a well established and respected culinary incubator there.

Old 05-06-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
I think you need to step out of Kissimmee if you want to offer upscale and authentic food.

I think you also need to offer more than just Paella.

I think that there would be a market in Winter Park, Maitland, Heathrow, Windermere... If you want to offer an upscale and authentic product, you need to follow the money and sophistication to find people with adventurous palates who actually use caterers for their events. Look at Audubon Park--there is a well established and respected culinary incubator there.
I was thinking the same thing.

An authentic Paella is not going to be cheap.
If you're planning on catering to the white collar working crowd during lunch/client meetings, for instance, you might want to look closer to Downtown Orlando. Places like The Citrus Club do very well during the day by catering to that crowd.
If you're looking to do more of an evening, dinner type of service, I would definitely look at the areas Annerk mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando