Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 12:19 AM

2 posts, read 12,896 times

Advertisements

Relocating to Central Florida. Will work in downtown Orlando.
Married, maybe kids in next couple of years. Want a good place to raise family... decent schools, low crime, etc.
Looking for small home in 250-300K range and don't really want a long commute. People tell me not to live anywhere where I'll have to drive on I-4. Where should I look? What is Ocoee like? Winderemere is probably out of price range, but what is it like? What about on the east side of Orlando?
Also, I hear the housing market is down. How much will sellers go down on houses in the price range mentioned above.
Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 08:02 AM

1,418 posts, read 10,197,159 times
Windermere is nice, but you're right, $250-300 won't get you there. NorthEast in Seminole is nice, but you need to plan on spending the very least $350, and you will have about a 40 minute commute into Orlando.

Winter Park is probably out of your price range. So, too is Maitland. Altamonte might have some older homes in your price range. I don't really like Ocoee, or anything that can turn into "Pine Hills" west or south, like what is happening to Metro West, and has happened to Rosemonte.

Old 11-06-2006, 10:01 AM

99 posts, read 553,998 times
Default Winter Garden

Check out Winter Garden. That's where I'm going.

New homes there (Lennar at Stoneybrook, MI Homes-Stonecrest, KB-yuck) are within that price range.

I found the neighborhood to be quite pleasant, not far from the highways and is growing area.

Old 11-07-2006, 12:39 PM

10 posts, read 55,049 times
THe East side of Orlando is touch and go. definately in your price range, but some areas and schools are good, some are awful. it's really on a neighborhood by neighborhood basis. i live in a country club in the east that is gated and very nice, with everything i could need nearby, but outside my gates there is very high crime and it's not great. Waterford Lakes is a neighborhood on the East you should look into, but I'm not so sure about price range in there.

There are some neighborhoods in zip 32825 that are nice, and some that are not. zip 32806 is south of downtown, but very close, and whiel the houses are old, they are built right and for the most part are in nice areas with GREAT schools...

Good luck!

Old 11-10-2006, 11:16 PM

2 posts, read 12,896 times
Default Thanks

I will take a look at all of these places. Just sold home in SW part of US. I think we will rent an apartment for a couple of months and take a good look around to see what we like... and see what the commutes are really like. If anyone else has advice... please feel free to post.
Thanks everyone.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:49 PM

27 posts, read 156,132 times
I am not sure why you are wanting to stay away from I-4. It is busy but traffic moves along. Lake Mary is great area. If you want a referral for more direct info on that area, e-mail annhatfield@juno.com and I can get you connected to a realtor in that area that will be able to give you $$ amounts or suggestions.

Old 11-11-2006, 09:29 PM

3 posts, read 18,850 times
My friend commutes to downtown Orlando; she lives in Winter Springs (Tuskawilla area). I live nearby, in Oviedo - we're moving and let me tell you, I LOVE where I live and must be in a bubble because in the 3 years we've lived here (all in Oviedo), we have never personally experienced any of the horrible crime that people talk about (though the apartment complex where we stayed briefly did have crime problems - beautiful upscale complex, but isolated - has since been converted to condos). Oviedo has fabulous schools - my kids' elementary school was named one of the top 100 elementary schools in Florida, it's safe where I live - I walk my dog at midnight, and never worry about my safety - and we have plenty of good shopping nearby.

Hard to say about the housing - my house is on the market for just under $290K, but it's already a drop-dead price (will go to rental if not sold soon). Less than 10 years old, nearly 2200 square feet, quiet little community near UCF, etc. My point is, some house prices are still stuck on last year's highs (my neighbors have the same house I do, but with a few upgrades - conservation view and tile in their kitchen) and their price (same house, right?) is $60K higher. *They* should be negotiable (or their house can sit on the market for another year), but other sellers have brought their prices in line with the current market. When you look at houses on realtor.com, for example, you'll see evidence of this - in the same price range, you're sure to have a large variety of housing sizes, types and amenities (eg., for that same $350K, you can go up the road, find a house nearly the same size and with a pool).

I can't speak about Ocoee or Windermere, but this part of Seminole County is wonderful, and I couldn't recommend it more highly. I have serious heartache at the thought of leaving (but we are - new job for my husband out of state).

Good luck decided; I'd far rather be moving TO here than TO where we're going!

Old 11-12-2006, 09:12 PM

42 posts, read 76,864 times
Oviedo is quite a commute if you are working in downtown Orlando. Ocoee is a bad animal and Winter Garden is iffy in my opinion as well. Windermere is great if you can afford it. Seminole County-Londwood, Lake Mary is nice also but you do have to drive I-4. But I would much rather live there than Ocoee or Winter Garden. The east part of Orlando-well, I just caught the eleven o'clock news and they were talking about an upsurge in gang violence in this area (relatively new to Central Fl). Hope this helps.

Old 11-13-2006, 02:46 PM

52 posts, read 226,467 times
I live in Avalon Park in E. Orlando and we are very happy here. We have our own schools, town center, grocery store, coffee shop, restaurants, great family physicians and a dentist. A smaller home would be in the top part of your price range. We also hold many community events, fireworks, carnivals, Octoberfest and the list goes on. It's a great family driven community. I am sure you can find more by googling. The flip side is the growth far outweighs the transportation planning. My husband works at Lake Eola(downtown) and gets up at 5:30 to beat the traffic. If you are looking in E. Orlando try these communities-Waterford Lakes, Stoneybrook, Eastwood, and Avalon Park. Just remember right now it's a buyer's market here and you hold the chips! There is so much inventory right now make an offer the worst things that could happen is you are rejected. Oh, I don't know how it is for other people's HOA fees but ours includes cable.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:13 PM

1,683 posts, read 8,216,375 times
I live on the east side of Orlando. It takes me from 20-30 minutes to drive to my job downtown.

Check out Vista Lakes, Waterford Lakes, Stoneybrook East, Cypress Springs, Tivoli Woods and Avalon Park. All these are nice, newer communities with a range of home prices. I think the east part of town where the gang/crime activity is located is closer into town around the conway area. I have heard of no crime in my area. In fact Waterford Lakes Town Center is very similar to Winter Park area. Nicely kept, more upscale stores, theatres and restaurants - many with outdoor eating areas. It's quite the happening place on nice evenings. Plus there's everything you need within a two to three block area including Home Depot, Lowes, Best Buy, Circuit City, Target, LA Fitness, Bath and Body Works....etc. and all kinds of restaurants.

I am friends with a couple of teachers at Waterford Lakes Elem...a GREAT school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando