Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2014, 07:43 PM

5 posts, read 5,299 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a 2nd home to spend several months enjoy the Florida activities. We'd like something centrally located with easy access to beach, cruise ports, Disney, Orlando activities, etc. Our needs:

- Safe/secure area is #1.
- Community Pool would be great and family/kids friendly areas. We have 9 and 12 year old.
- Low to No Maintenance (we'll be gone weeks or months at a time and don't want to have to worry about the facility).
- Centrally located for access to Beaches, Disney, Orlando, Cruise Ships, etc.
- Condo/Townhouse okay.
- Close to airport access (how to get from airports to home/car? I assume it can't be terrible far from either Sanford or Orlando International).
- We'd be okay buying, but prefer to keep under $200k and closer to $100k if possible.

According to the maps, Sanford area looks ideally located (Airport, 45 minutes to beaches or Disney). But is Sanford nice/safe area? Looks a bit industrial/older part of town.

Anyways, open to ideas and it seems there many locals on here that know these areas well. Even if you know of good areas outside of what I stated above I've be more then glad to listen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 PM

3,980 posts, read 8,191,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcarocket View Post
We are looking for a 2nd home to spend several months enjoy the Florida activities. We'd like something centrally located with easy access to beach, cruise ports, Disney, Orlando activities, etc. Our needs:

- Community Pool would be great and family/kids friendly areas. We have 9 and 12 year old.
- Low to No Maintenance (we'll be gone weeks or months at a time and don't want to have to worry about the facility).
- Condo/Townhouse okay.
- Close to airport access (how to get from airports to home/car? I assume it can't be terrible far from either Sanford or Orlando International).
- We'd be okay buying, but prefer to keep under $200k and closer to $100k if possible.

According to the maps, Sanford area looks ideally located (Airport, 45 minutes to beaches or Disney). But is Sanford nice/safe area? Looks a bit industrial/older part of town.

Anyways, open to ideas and it seems there many locals on here that know these areas well. Even if you know of good areas outside of what I stated above I've be more then glad to listen!
I'd look closer to the beach and drive to the theme parks. Take the shuttle to and from the airport-or rent a car here and drop the car at the airport if cheaper than the shuttle for your group.

Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 PM

5 posts, read 5,299 times
Is there a "Myrtle Beach" type of beach in Florida? Lots of activities but still family friendly?

Old 04-22-2014, 05:47 AM

27,231 posts, read 44,064,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcarocket View Post

- Condo/Townhouse okay.

Sanford is not old/industrial. It has one of just a few preserved, historic downtown areas in Central Florida and is largely safe and newer, particularly the two thirds of town that extends west of Airport Blvd and north of the Lake Mary city limit. Not that schools matter as a second home but the Sanford school districts in that area rank among the best in the Orlando metro area to give you an idea of desirability. Sanford is closest to New Smyrna Beach versus areas in Orlando which are closest to Cocoa Beach which many do not find as nice as New Smyrna Beach. Sanford is ideally located for access to Disney/Epcot/Animal Kingdom thanks to very easy access to the 417 which allows for a bypass of most of Orlando's traffic/congestion most of which occurs on I-4, which by the way will begin a massive widening project within the next several months which is no doubt going to create even worse traffic situations with construction barriers and consistent slowdowns worse than the current situation...which is at best unpredictable in terms of traffic jams at the oddest hours (weekends at 2pm for instance). Check out the Terracina at Lake Forest and Greystone communities which have very nice three bedroom townhomes in your price range. They're both located in nice areas very convenient to shops and restaurants as well as very easy access to I-4 and the 417. Neighboring Lake Mary also has a good number of options in your price range. Check out the Notting Hill townhome community there.

Old 04-23-2014, 10:21 AM

1,065 posts, read 4,149,993 times
Kyle Mentioned some good neighborhoods, and I would second most of them. However, I would look closer also at Winter Springs and Oviedo nearby the town center and Tuscawilla. That area is closer to lots of nature trails and a HUGE park on Lake Jessup for your daily fun, and an easy hop on the 417 to get to the airport, Disney, and 528 or I-4 to the beaches.

For low/no maintenance, you definitely want to stick with townhomes or Condo's, and relatively new. You can find 2/2 and 3/2 properties in these areas for between ~130-200K.

There are also home sitting services out there for not to much that can check on your property when you are not there. Can send you information if wanted through PM.

Old 09-30-2014, 09:54 AM

3 posts, read 3,521 times
Sanford is not industrial. Sanford has a lot of history and a lot of fun things to do.

I have been living in Sanford for 14 years and I regret I did not moved here before! I love Sanford and when you read about its history you will love to be part of this city.

I live in the "newer" part of Sanford, by the west side of the I-4. However, I go to Downtown Sanford almost every day to run my errands, support local businesses, walk by the riverwalk or just watch the sunset.

If you follow sanford365.com you will see all the activities and events Sanford has to offer! every day, specially during weekends.

Old 09-30-2014, 12:28 PM

26,585 posts, read 62,105,797 times
I would be looking more towards Lake Nona. If for no other reason, the Cocoa Beaches are more family friendly, and you'd be 20 minutes from the theme parks, not 45-60+.

Old 09-30-2014, 02:36 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,107,698 times
You've got New Smyrna Beach the other way which is family friendly. It will still take 40 minutes to Disney though. I prefer Sanford. It's what you like but they should definitely know the options to check them out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando