Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2014, 03:20 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
I have never had a problem finding a job, even in the worst of the economy. Sometimes people need to be more flexible or spend the time to get better skills. Many local employers offer a range of online classes that employees can take to better their skills and increase opprtunity with that or other employers. Unfortunately, most employees don't availa themselves of teh opportunities for whatever reason.
Hotels, Restaurants, Retail and other service sector establishments (what's largely driving Orlando's economy) rarely turn to non-supervisory employees to fill management slots despite the notion of seeming well-intentioned by doing so. So the "hourly employees only need to better themselves in order to advance" mantra while a terrific thought oh say twenty to thirty years ago, isn't so much these days. And in terms of local non-service industry companies offering classes to avail themselves of advancement, exactly how much do you suppose of that is available in the era of downsizing at the middle management levels? Your perceptions of the modern workplace aren't in lockstep with 2014, so within your bubble I suppose it all seems logical....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
Agreed, I dont understand why rent in Orlando is higher than Charlotte, Atlanta, Greenville SC, Winston-Salem, etc... other medium to large cities throughout the Southeast that have better economy and more diverse jobs, with an overall (in some cases) better quality of life.

If someone moved to Orl from Chicago or LA, I'd say, yeah, much more affordable here. But the Southeast is far more desirable than the Northeast - people dont move from NC to NJ - lets get real.
We see it all the time, those that can somehow transfer with their work (or work from home) moving here from the Northeast and thinking what a deal they've found. For the vast majority however, not so much. Those that can afford to leave will no doubt (if not already upside down on a mortgage) and find similar or better paying work in GA, SC, NC and other states. The numbers already bear that out as Orlando is losing buying power where higher earning workers are being traded out by new arrivals who work for 25K or less. That population shift/tradeoff isn't going to be sustainable to the city/metro area at large and may not bode well for quality of life in the years to come.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LD-rup__9Xo

Old 04-07-2014, 05:28 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Great presentation / chart.

Though the speaker seems to think that increasing educated people will bring about higher wages, and I think the opposite.

I was one who fled from Orlando in that time period to a 'smarter' city.
Orlando pay is pretty bad across many many fields.

Old 04-07-2014, 05:51 PM

35,699 posts, read 21,054,375 times
Quote:
Housing costs are a matter of supply and demand, and not related to payscales in the community.

Frankly housing costs are still very affordable here. Try living in places like NYC and San Francisco. I hear a lot of whining, but it seems that those who whine the loudest haven't done anything in particular to better their situation in terms of education or training or finding a better opportunity because they "like" their current job.
Why folks always out to put others down like life is their fault? GRR time to watch AMERICAN GREED. Even those who seem to have it " all together" fail or get sick. The majority is hurting and even if we turned them alll into college wizzards there still would not be enough jobs... some cant see past their back yards unfortunately, nor care to.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:02 PM

12,017 posts, read 14,323,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WithDisp View Post
Great presentation / chart.

Though the speaker seems to think that increasing educated people will bring about higher wages, and I think the opposite.

I was one who fled from Orlando in that time period to a 'smarter' city.
Orlando pay is pretty bad across many many fields.
Pay is also good in many fields and the cost of living and tax situation is very reasonable compared to up north or out west

Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
i think orlando pay is decent. i just think rent is too high considering where we are (central FL).

Old 04-07-2014, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComSense View Post
i think orlando pay is decent. i just think rent is too high considering where we are (central FL).
True, but it is cheaper in many other ways. No income tax, lower property taxes, lower sales tax than many places. In upstate NY, you'd pay twice as much property tax on a property valued at half as much as one down here, all while paying an 8%+ sales tax.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:04 PM

3,951 posts, read 5,076,358 times
Quote:
Housing costs are a matter of supply and demand, and not related to payscales in the community.
I wholeheartedly disagree with this.

In fact, our government subsidizes post 9-11 GI Bill housing allowance based on cost of living.
All Fed. jobs too have cost of living stipends that drive up costs incredibly.

Washington DC housing costs are directly a result of the government's salary schedule.
NYC and SF have incredibly housing costs because supply and demand is not in full fluctuation because of rent control/stabilization.

Most major metros (where construction is difficult or costly) housing prices will rise to whom can afford them. Chicago is probably the largest exception to this rule.

If minimum wage in Florida went up to $10, you can bet houses and rent would go up here as well.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Actually you're both right. Payscales and Supply/demand influence housing prices.... when you have a tiny area with decent pay, you end up with SF/Bay area prices. When you have a decent economy with plenty of room to build, you get affordability like you might see in Houston.

Old 04-08-2014, 06:10 AM

Quote:

In fact, our government subsidizes post 9-11 GI Bill housing allowance based on cost of living.
All Fed. jobs too have cost of living stipends that drive up costs incredibly.

Washington DC housing costs are directly a result of the government's salary schedule.
NYC and SF have incredibly housing costs because supply and demand is not in full fluctuation because of rent control/stabilization.

Most major metros (where construction is difficult or costly) housing prices will rise to whom can afford them. Chicago is probably the largest exception to this rule.

If minimum wage in Florida went up to $10, you can bet houses and rent would go up here as well.
I disagree 100%. It's a supply and demand game not linked to salaries. If people cannot afford to live in one area by and large they're forced to move. The rental supply and demand issue here in Central Florida the past several years has been tied to factors such as foreclosures (people forced out of their homes into the rental market), sub-standard salaries for a majority of residents which doesn't allow for home ownership, UCF's growth to 55K undergraduates, as well as a tourism based economy where in some instances rentals are occupied by short term/seasonal tenants. Furthermore how do you suppose someone making $10 an hour (say versus $8.50) is going to afford any significant change in residence? That small change in salary is going toward everyday essentials such as food, transportation and other miscellaneous items most certainly instead of toward better housing, as that small difference isn't going to amount to much change anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando