Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2013, 02:52 PM

48 posts, read 101,713 times

Advertisements

One of the things I'm very excited about is that when I move to Orlando in a few months, I plan to ride a bicycle around instead of driving everywhere (I'm hoping to live in Winter Park).

How bicycle-friendly would you rate Orlando? The factors I consider in no particular order are:
1) weather
2) bike lanes
3) condition and grade of roads
4) attentiveness of car drivers
5) places to lock up bikes
6) bike theft
7) total # of bicycle riders (do they have a presence) and biking 'community'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2013, 03:00 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,971,352 times
The Orlando area has consistently been named the worst in the United States for bicyclists and pedestrians. It's not a recommended way to get around consistently. People in this area aren't known for sharing the road or having the attentiveness one might hope for when riding a bike.

Florida Cities Rated Worst for Bicyclists and Pedestrians

Old 08-26-2013, 05:16 PM

Guess I have a challenge ahead of me!

Anyone a cyclist themselves with experiences to share?

Old 08-26-2013, 08:07 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,699,228 times
Its not common for people to bike as a form of transportation in Orlando like it is in Portland for instance.. It would only be possible if you live in the immediate downtown area. However, the hobby of biking is very popular in the area. I see large groups of speed bikers on roads throughout the metro on sat and sunday mornings. There is also a big off road "mountain biking" scene. There are plenty of asphalt biking trails throughout the metro if you want to leisurely bike (cross seminole, west orange, cady way, and econ trail to name a few)

Old 08-27-2013, 04:41 PM

Thanks. Everyplace seems to have issues (even though Portland is so bike-friendly, I personally wouldn't want to ride a bike there during most of the year due to the weather) and even in NYC, I had to have a heavy duty kryptonite lock because bike theft was such a problem (plus, the weather sucked for a big part of the year there, too). I will try to find a map so I can make use of those trails you mentioned. At least Orlando has weather on its side.

Old 08-27-2013, 05:56 PM

492 posts, read 1,025,789 times
I would worry most about 2, 3, 4, & 6 on your list. The last is dependent on where you are, though, and more bike lanes are being added (and it seems drivers are becoming more aware). Still, you must avoid roads like Colonial and 436. The downtown area is not bad, as long as you have a secure place to lock your bike. I live downtown and see people on bikes constantly, including some in suits

Old 08-27-2013, 08:18 PM

4,194 posts, read 11,699,228 times
here are some links

Home

MetroPlan Orlando : Plans : Bicycle Maps : A Regional Transportation Partnership : Orange, Osceola and Seminole Counties : Florida

Old 08-28-2013, 10:13 PM

8,061 posts, read 4,888,780 times
Default Sharing ROAD WAYS

As a former Rodie longing about 20-25 miles a day. Going on Century rides in St. Petersburg. Sometimes you do have severe safety challenges.. From throwing garbage to stones. To blatantly being cut off and force to bail.

I have been away for a while, I hope the mode for cyclist has changed?

If you get a early morning run on a cool clear morning in the fall its beyond words. Winter park is a nice ride around the Old Neighborhoods and Rolling's College.

Old 09-27-2013, 06:14 PM

47 posts, read 44,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MojitoMe View Post
Guess I have a challenge ahead of me!

Anyone a cyclist themselves with experiences to share?
It's interesting your wording here, it points to the same type info what I was looking for before moving here.

What I've learned after being here a short while, is that most people giving advice about biking are not frequent cyclists themselves--neither in/around Orlando, nor anywhere else; never were, and never will.

So what you, and I, and other frequent cyclists really want to know is: HOW can we MAKE cycling in/around Orlando more friendly and safe?

Here're my two cents...

Before moving to Orlando, I read this:
Is Orlando road-bike friendly?

Personally, I think the last comment is the most relevant.

To your points:

[A] ALL(?) the Lynx buses here have a bikerack on the front of the buses. 99% of them are for only two bikes; but I have confirmed that in the wild there are a few 3-bike rack versions, although these are not predictable.

What this means is, if rain or a flat tire foils your riding, then you can possibly get to where you gotta get by taking a public bus.

One problem about this, some of the bus lines run once every half-hour, or even once per hour. It's best to get familiar with the buslines on any biking route you'll be using regularly.

(Google Maps has route planning options for using both bikes and buses.)

[b] If you're gonna ride at night, be sure to have a front and back light, preferably each having a steady/flashing/off light option.

I was told that police will harass cyclists who don't have night-lights. I don't believe that, but I also don't care if it's true or not--it's best to have this simple and inexpensive safety feature if planning to do night-riding.

1) weather
-- You're gonna sweat. Even when it rains. Even when the distance is not that far.

So wear clothing that's light and breathable and dries quickly.

I wouldn't recommend tight-fitting, hardcore biking gear (tis a conservative state, after all), unless you're going for long-distance, training or recreational riding -- and plan to return straight back home.

2) bike lanes
-- I've not found many, even in downtown. And the few I have seen, will often disappear at confusing sections.

So...do as the bike-riding Romans do here: ride on the sidewalk.

Yeah, that may seems strange, depending on where you're moving from; but I've found that drivers, pedestrians, and-interestingly-other cyclists expect bikers to mostly be on the sidewalk.

But if you do have to ride on the road, be aggressive, even possessive, about it - see (4)

3) condition and grade of roads
-- Most roads are highway grade, so they're fine.
-- Most sidewalks are clean and well-maintained. Just be safe and don't gun it here, as pedestrians can come out of homes or shops at any moment.

Also, when sidewalk-riding, watch out for cars coming out of driveways - see (4)

4) attentiveness of car drivers
-- As noted above, because drivers aren't consistently expecting to share the road with cyclists, it's up to us to make them aware of us.

So...
- at intersections, make sure to purposely look back and to the sides at the nearest driver, look right into their window, to acknowledge your presence -- and to give them some indication of what you plan to do, e.g. go straight, make a turn, etc.

- LOOK OUT for those drivers who are trying to beat the traffic light to make a LEFT turn {for cyclists, this means keep aware of the lanes at 3 o'clock} -- these seem to be the most dangerous drivers to cyclists.

5) places to lock up bikes
-- Individual stores in Shopping centers, strip malls and similar seem to be fairly decent about having a bike rack. Otherwise, it's more miss than hit.

Best/Only other option is a pole with either 'Stop' or 'Handicap Parking' sign on it.

6) bike theft
-- No idea about this - thankfully.

Like you, I also have a Kryptonite u-lock, the large size, from living in NYC. Also makes it convenient for me to pick a thicker size pole to lock to.

7) total # of bicycle riders (do they have a presence) and biking 'community'

-- There's something that most people here aren't commenting about, a social side of biking in (Orlando|Florida|US): only poor(ish) people ride bikes {regularly}; any respectable person has a car.

This is not just about Florida, of course--this is one of the biggest hypocrisy in the US. But experiment with this yourself: notice people's reactions here when you tell them your main way of getting around is riding a bike...

TMI: my immediate neighbors, three roommates, each have their own car. They park in MY driveway (ok, I'm cool with this, but still...). Not one of them has a bicycle, even for recreation. And they've never used public transit in Orlando.

-- In terms of biking community, I haven't found that yet. Even the other bikers I haven't picked up a 'brotherhood vibe'. But maybe that'll come later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando