Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2013, 07:47 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,061,100 times

Advertisements

Glad to see one of Orlando's cool main streets mentioned next to trendy neighborhoods in much larger, trendier cities. As soon as The Imperial opened I thought it was one of the most original and well executed ideas I had ever seen.

USA TODAY

Orlando's Ivanhoe Village: Sip wine among exotic antiques

Ready to experience Orlando for adults, the way the locals do? Head straight for Ivanhoe Village, a bohemian revitalized neighborhood just south of downtown (Orange Avenue below Princeton). Low-slung buildings from the '50s and '60s are now home to a pop art store, a string of trendy restaurants, antique shops, surprising home interior retailers, a record store and a food co-op. You'll find everything from Moroccan lamps to parlor-made ice cream.

One of Ivanhoe Village's more unique businesses - The Imperial Wine Bar at Washburn Imports Рis an exotic upscale import furniture store by day, and wine bar with live music by night. Patrons get their sushi on when the Fish Out of Water food truck parks outside, in rotation with several other trucks. Longtime favorite White Wolf Caf̩ often has its outdoor patio full for lunch and dinner. Hungry visitors will also find Greek and Italian eateries nearby.

Boom-Art by Rogers Studio sells its pop art and décor to clients which include Shaquille O'Neal; go by and see what grabs you. "You can easily entertain yourself for hours," says Orlando Local Expert A.D.Thompson of Ivanhoe Village.

Last edited by Pete C; 04-15-2013 at 07:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2013, 09:18 AM

3,595 posts, read 6,958,151 times
I agree, this is refreshing. I'm glad that list like these are willing to put a small district in Orlando in there with much larger ones in other cities because it shows that not only is Orlando moving in the right direction, but also that people are willing to spotlight the good.

Old 04-16-2013, 09:22 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,958,151 times
Can't believe nobody on here wants to talk about this burgeoning Central Florida neighborhood. Well the Orlando Weekly did a great write up on the Ivanhoe Village for their 2013 Annual Manual which you can read here:Ivanhoe Village - Orlando Weekly

Old 04-16-2013, 10:00 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,353,116 times
Its a great area and I cant wait to see how it will be once the Uptown and Florida Health village develop more. It will be a pretty impressive stretch along orange ave and quite walkable. The greatest part is the potential of this area is only beginning to be scratched. Im also really excited about the opposte end of Orange ave from 408 to Michigan. Pretty soon Orange ave will be the signature strip of Orlando.

Old 04-16-2013, 10:02 PM

2,130 posts, read 4,519,074 times
I love that area. Rock N' Roll Heaven is simply awesome; I love browsing in there and I've purchased a few things (if only I weren't sucked into the world of Apple products...). Boom-Art and its owner are insanely quirky. I bought a clock there the last time I went. If I could live nearby I would. As much as I love Dr. Phillips I would love to live in a more organic, artsy area.

I have yet to visit White Wolf Cafe and Washburn Imports but they've been on my to-do list for quite a while.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 AM

2,168 posts, read 5,061,100 times
Here is another article from February talking about all the bars opening up in Ivanhoe Village.

Hammered Lamb Ivanhoe Village: The Hammered Lamb opens in Ivanhoe Village - Orlando Sentinel

The area really has a lot of character, is pleasant to walk around, and if it keeps developing organically like this it will really be one of those local districts travelers seek out. There are still a few empty storefronts just south of Theater Downtown that detract from the overall look of the area. I hope these get re-developed soon with something that fits with the area. An art gallery would be a perfect fit IMO.

Between the developments south of Downtown, Uptown, Ivanhoe Village, and all the new businesses and development along Mills you have to be excited about the entire stretch between downtown and Winter Park. Hopefully Maitland will eventually get in gear with their downtown development plans as well.

Also, is it just me or does College Park along Edgewater seem to be at a standstill compared to Ivanhoe Village and Mills? I don't hear of much new over there. Scruffy Murphy's closed...decided not to renew their lease and the owner is looking for a new location.

Last edited by Pete C; 04-17-2013 at 09:28 AM..

Old 04-17-2013, 12:03 PM

4,167 posts, read 9,353,116 times
I think the next hidden gem will be Corrine Ave. in Audobon Park.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando