Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 AM

160 posts, read 451,689 times

Advertisements

I would love to hear anyone with experience in these districts compare/contrast the two. It looks as if my family will in fact be relocating (probably in a year or so) and we have 3 young boys. While high school is a long way off for us, ultimately I think we would want to buy a house in the district where they would go to high school. We are coming from Long Island so any transplants from here that want to chime in, please do.

**I've heard several opinions from previous posts, but I'm looking to get some more details/opinions now that this seems to be a definite relocation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2013, 07:24 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Both are good schools. My kids went to Lake Mary High. I was pleased with it. It is ranked high as one of the best high schools.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:30 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
Here is the problem with your question. Most people either live in one or the other. They don't so much live in BOTH to give you the balanced answer you request.

My children went to schools (and we lived in) lin Oviedo and Tuskawilla. On the whole I think the Oviedo schools were better and my children had better type friends in Oviedo and still retain those friendships in their 20s/30s.

I like Oviedo, where I live now, and it is a great place to raise children. It is becoming very convenient for shopping and errands and isn't as country as it used to be. My neighborhood has a lot of new families moving in and a few retirees who raised their children in the same house. Some with teenagers, so it is a good mix.

I have not lived in Lake Mary but people seem to like it there and it seems to be a good housing market w conveniences galore. Am sure that people who live there can fill you in on that.

Both are probably good for what you are seeking

Old 04-07-2013, 07:47 AM

160 posts, read 451,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
Here is the problem with your question. Most people either live in one or the other. They don't so much live in BOTH to give you the balanced answer you request.
I did think about that as I was writing it, but I'm hoping that there are some people who have either lived in both places, or who live in one and have friends/family in the other and can draw some comparisons in that way.

Thanks for your info btw :-) I keep hearing that Oviedo has more of a country feel. Is it much different from Lake Mary? We currently live in the suburbs, so we are used to everything being convenient. I'm not sure if we would prefer a change or if we should aim for what we are more familiar with.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:13 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Both schools are pretty much equal, though worth considering are the significant differences between the two cities. Lake Mary has more of a planned community feel with parks, trails, greenspace and has a bike/pedestrian friendly element not found in much of Central Florida. Most of Oviedo is rather rural and car-centric, with not much in the way of bike/pedestrian ways or parks. Lake Mary has all the conveniences within minutes of home which is nice, while Oviedo isn't as fortunate in that department.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:28 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
Oviedo and Hagerty are both the high schools in Oviedo. Both are the highest rated high schools in the county. Lake Mary winch I still consider to be A really good school has been slipping lately. For 2012 they were not even one of the top schools in America anymore. The difference between the cities is that Lake Mary is pretty much built out there is literally no room for expansion. Oviedo on the other hand is not necessarily newer, But in the suburban department is newer. If you were to move into west Oviedo then it would feel more like lake Mary, But East Oviedo feels more like a Lake Mary 15-20 years ago. There a lot of communities but they are more spaced out, Therefore giving you a country rural feeling.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:49 AM

27,217 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Oviedo and Hagerty are both the high schools in Oviedo. Both are the highest rated high schools in the county. Lake Mary winch I still consider to be A really good school has been slipping lately.
Actually Lake Mary High School hasn't been slipping, the criteria for grading has changed. High performing schools are now given even higher standards to achieve than "B" ranked schools for instance and consequently failure to meet certain higher criteria affects the overall score considerably. The fact that Lake Mary HS is still an "A" school with the higher criteria and significantly increased diversity over the past few years is a testament to how well run the school is.

Old 04-07-2013, 09:31 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
I just don't think that Oviedo has a country or rural feel anymore. I left my house on lockwood and ran 5 errands and didn't have to go more than a few miles and a few minutes. Strip malls are popping up everywhere and even a few restaurants are coming back.

The downtown area is to be 'rennovated' as I understand it and I only hear chickens by the library now.

So I don't think it is country or rural. Even Chulota isn't rural anymore.

There is stand off between the housing developments, shopping, etc so that may seem rural to some. To me the built up of older established areas is congested.

I would not say that Oviedo is congested. So if that is what posters mean by rural would have to agree.

Just saying because these questions are best answered by eyes on yourself. What is rural to me may be something other to other folks

Old 04-07-2013, 10:43 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan75 View Post
I did think about that as I was writing it, but I'm hoping that there are some people who have either lived in both places, or who live in one and have friends/family in the other and can draw some comparisons in that way.

Thanks for your info btw :-) I keep hearing that Oviedo has more of a country feel. Is it much different from Lake Mary? We currently live in the suburbs, so we are used to everything being convenient. I'm not sure if we would prefer a change or if we should aim for what we are more familiar with.
If you're used to the suburbs and the convenience, then you'll like Lake Mary.

Old 04-07-2013, 07:13 PM

148 posts, read 339,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
If you're used to the suburbs and the convenience, then you'll like Lake Mary.
This is why we picked Lake Mary over Oviedo. I do think that both places are excellent choices and have great schools. It depends what you are looking for. For my family, we liked how close we were to 2 malls and wider variety of dining. I also like the convenience of being integrated with I4 and the 417. I have some friends that live in Oviedo and they all love it. I've known kids from both Oviedo HS and Hagerty and from what I have heard they are excellent schools. The only complaint I hear from Oviedo residents is having to drive all the way to Waterford Lakes or Altamonte for shopping, restaurants, etc. I guess this may slowly change as they start their downtown projects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
View detailed profiles of: