Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 08:34 AM

4,940 posts, read 12,149,796 times

Advertisements

I'm visiting Orlando next week and I'm wondering about the toll situation. I'll be traveling from the airport to downtown Orlando, up to Altamonte Springs, and down to Disney. Are there a lot of tolls around this area? Do they accept cash, or do I have to buy a toll pass from the rental car company?

Also, I'm staying at the Grand Bohemian hotel downtown in the "arts" district (South Orange Ave.). Is this a decent/safe area, and is there anything to do around there? Is there anything I should do or see in Orlando besides the usual Disney parks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 09:21 AM

433 posts, read 1,228,900 times
You can pay with Quarters to get through the tolls. No tolls traveling I-4.

You can take 436 North to SR 50 east and get to Downtown without paying tolls too

Old 03-11-2013, 11:40 AM

24,409 posts, read 26,971,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post
I'm visiting Orlando next week and I'm wondering about the toll situation. I'll be traveling from the airport to downtown Orlando, up to Altamonte Springs, and down to Disney. Are there a lot of tolls around this area? Do they accept cash, or do I have to buy a toll pass from the rental car company?

Also, I'm staying at the Grand Bohemian hotel downtown in the "arts" district (South Orange Ave.). Is this a decent/safe area, and is there anything to do around there? Is there anything I should do or see in Orlando besides the usual Disney parks?
You will have to pay tolls coming from the airport. They accept cash or coins. You can avoid tolls after the airport by using I-4.

The Downtown area of Orlando has bars, clubs and some restaurants. If you are used to downtowns like in Seattle, San Francisco, Chicago, Boston, NYC etc you will think "meh". It's not a bad area to stay. You can check out Winter Park, there is a nice little downtown area. You can go to Wekiwa Springs or Blue Springs nearby Downtown. There is a lot of good outlet shopping in Orlando, my favorite is Orlando Premium Outlets. You could join a fishing boat from Cocoa Beach / Port Canaveral. There are many things to do besides theme parks.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 AM

4,167 posts, read 9,343,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansky View Post

You can do your entire trip without tolls. To get from the airport to downtown take the north exit onto 436/Semoran. You can take Semoran all the way up to 50/Colonial, take that west directly into downtown. Or you can take a left on Hoffner until you hit Orange Ave. Take Orange Ave. north into downtown. Once you get downtown there will be no need to go on any tolls as you will use I4 to get to both Altamonte Springs and Disney. The tolls would be taking further out of your way. In case you do need to use the tolls they do accept cash. The only time I would recommend you use the toll is on your initial arrival if you don't want to take the routes listed above. In that case you would take the 528 (beachline) westbound onto I4, than take I4 east bound to either downtown or Altamonte.

The Boheme is in the heart of downtown, there are many good restaurants, bars, lounges and theaters within walking distance, although the Boheme itself has a great lounge and restaurant in the lobby. It's a well trafficed area of downtown and fairly safe. There's a movie theater 2 blocks north of the Boheme, the Mad Cow theater a few blocks away and the Amway Arena a short walk away. If you have time I would recommend taking a short walk to the Lake Eola/Thornton Park area. It's downtown Orlando's signature public space with swan boats and great views of the city. It's surrounded by Thornton Park which has nice little cafes and shops. Once the sun sets if you will see the night time crowd come into downtown. At the Boheme you will be pretty much right next to all the action. There are more bars and clubs than I can count within walking distance. Wed-Sat are the busiest days. There are many others things to do around Central Florida but given that you will be visiting Disney and staying downtown you should have more than enough to occupy your time.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:31 PM

1,639 posts, read 5,101,079 times
Also, the LYMMO will get you around downtown for free.
LYMMO - Public Transportation Services for Orange, Seminole and Osceola Counties

Old 03-11-2013, 08:31 PM

217 posts, read 326,134 times
You don't need to use toll roads as previously posted by others.

The Grand Bohemian is arguably the best hotel in the Orlando area (certainly for downtown), so you did quite well in that sense. You're in walking distance of dozens of bars, clubs, restaurants, Amway Center, comedy/theater venues, etc.

I wouldn't bother using the Lymmo if you're not a fan of homeless pestering you.

Enjoy your stay.

Old 03-13-2013, 07:48 AM

26,585 posts, read 62,061,326 times
I would just pay the cash for the tolls on the Beachline--we're talking a couple dollars each way, which should be reimbursed through an expense report if the OP is traveling on business.

Other than getting to and from the airport your driving should be on I-4 with is not a toll road, but use caution and leave more time than you think you'll need. It's a highly congested road and a fender bender will back it up for miles.

The Bohemian is in the middle of it all downtown. There are a ton of clubs, art galleries, bistros. It's walking distance to Lake Eola, which is a great place to take an evening stroll. Yes, there will be some homeless and they might ask for a quarter or a smoke, but I've never been harassed by any of them. That part of Orlando is pretty vibrant and I'm sure you'll find things to do. Enjoy our city!

Old 03-16-2013, 01:38 PM

457 posts, read 627,627 times
If you're renting a car, most of the rental companies have a deal where you pay them for tolls and don't have to worry about paying them on-the-go.

It costs a few more dollars, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Orlando